Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My email to Tesla regarding the P3D+ $5k loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla have a money back guarantee, if the price changes within a certain period, after you receive your car? Of course I wouldn't like it, but if there was no price match guarantee I wouldn't expect it. I would ask them to consider giving me a refund, but I wouldn't expect it or hate them if they didn't. Not sure if I'm reading the OP's email correctly, but it sounds like he took delivery at least 30 days prior to the price drop.
My original delivery date was 10/2 are you suggesting that I should get penalized for not being within 30 days because I was doing tesla favor by receiving delivery earlier to meet Q3 sales?

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
My original delivery date was 10/2 are you suggesting that I should get penalized for not being within 30 days because I was doing tesla favor by receiving delivery earlier to meet Q3 sales?
Is there a thirty day rule? If there is some kind grace period for price matching then you have a good case. Do you have email exchanges with them pleading and/or enticing you with an earlier delivery date than you wanted?

Less than six months after I got my car they decreased the 0-60 time for the 75D by 1 second and gave the rwd cars no boost in acceleration. Had I known they were going to do that I definitely would have bought the D. I feel your pain but it’s just the nature of buying a Tesla.

• Love
As a Tesla supporter who volunteered to help with deliveries at the Brandon delivery center on 9/29 to help with big Q3 push I’m extremely upset about how this behind the scenes restructuring transpired, basically instantly dropping the value of my Performance model 3 with PUP by $5k overnight only 37 days after my rushed delivery which was originally scheduled for 10/02/2018 but I volunteered to take delivery early and pay cash which now seems to have worked against me. I called to complain about this issue and spoke with Roy based out of Las Vegas Nevada on Saturday he was aware of other complaints like mine and he mentioned to me that there was nothing yet in place for Tesla to do about this issue at that time.

Too bad ... you were played for a sucker by Tesla, they got free labor and also stiffed you $5k in the process.

I never understood this craze for volunteering at multi-billion dollar company or starting a kickstarter to buy a couch for a billionaire :rolleyes:

Drama much? o_O

I find it interesting and sad that most comments here are the opposite of this thread Performance Upgrade Price Change!

The title and the tone of the post will largely dictate how people respond to you.

The worst thing you can do is threaten to sue Tesla. People seem to really hate that one even if a person is just angry/venting. You didn't do that so you didn't get disagrees anywhere close to what people get who do that.

The other is being overly demanding. You talked about the value of your car going down by $5K, but you can get a refund for that by giving up free supercharging. You were aware of this, but you still acted like you lost $5K on your car.

Free supercharging is hard to value as it's not attached to the car. It's value is entirely up to your use case.

You're also likely aware of the federal tax credit getting cut in half at the end of the year.

Are you terribly worried about your car losing $5K in value for such a tiny amount of time? As soon as the tax credit is halved the new buyer have to spend $3750 more than today (assuming they can take advantage of it). The second that happens your car is worth more.

I don't know about your math, but free unlimited supercharging + $3750 is close enough to $5K that I'm not going to care.

Now that doesn't mean that being overly demanding doesn't work at times. It's a good tactic if you have the pull.

It especially helps if your name is Fred and you run electrek.co, but I don't think your name is Fred.

I think you should be happy that Fred gave you, and everyone else who bought the P3D the chance of getting a $5K refund with that caveat of giving up FUSC.

Thanks Fred.

Well, I mean, if you bought a 4k TV and a blu ray player at Best Buy 37 days ago and Best Buy all of a sudden decides to bundle the blu ray player for free, you can't go back to ask them to give you the price of the blu ray player, can you?

Tesla did not deceive you when they sell you the car at the price you paid. You agree to pay the price set forth by Tesla at the time of purchase.

It can't be always in your favor if Tesla lowers the price now and you want a price difference. I know you're upset, I understand that. Call it bad timing and enjoy the car. Just step on the accelerator pedal the next time you drive it and it will all be forgotten. :)

On the reverse, if Tesla decides to raise the price by 5k, are you willing to call Tesla and give them an additional 5k because hey, I want to match the price you're charging now, even though I took delivery of my vehicle 37 days ago?

This would have been different if the order was still in process, because you could have cancel the order and re-order at the lower price point. But I think Tesla already out of good faith adjusts any pending order that hasn't taken delivery, right?

Well, I mean, if you bought a 4k TV and a blu ray player at Best Buy 37 days ago and Best Buy all of a sudden decides to bundle the blu ray player for free, you can't go back to ask them to give you the price of the blu ray player, can you?

Tesla did not deceive you when they sell you the car at the price you paid. You agree to pay the price set forth by Tesla at the time of purchase.

It can't be always in your favor if Tesla lowers the price now and you want a price difference. I know you're upset, I understand that. Call it bad timing and enjoy the car. Just step on the accelerator pedal the next time you drive it and it will all be forgotten. :)

On the reverse, if Tesla decides to raise the price by 5k, are you willing to call Tesla and give them an additional 5k because hey, I want to match the price you're charging now, even though I took delivery of my vehicle 37 days ago?

This would have been different if the order was still in process, because you could have cancel the order and re-order at the lower price point. But I think Tesla already out of good faith adjusts any pending order that hasn't taken delivery, right?

The OP is getting a $5,000. refund to offset the price drop, but this is not good enough for him, he is demanding that he be allowed to keep the free lifetime supercharging that you give up in exchange for the $5,000 refund.

The OP is getting a $5,000. refund to offset the price drop, but this is not good enough for him, he is demanding that he be allowed to keep the free lifetime supercharging that you give up in exchange for the $5,000 refund.

Nothing confirmed on 5k ..doesn’t negate the fact OP sounds like a D*ck with his original post ..and his FB post ...he signed his contract no guaranteed price protection ..

Reactions: adaptabl
My take on it is this: if you bought something, then next day found out the store suddenly reduced the price or offered a coupon, it's infuriating. Your options are to either ask for a price match, or live with it. After all, it was worth it to you at the higher price in the first place, and for a Tesla you agreed to the price weeks if not months prior to delivery.

Now, I understand $5000 is a lot of money. However, Tesla has no obligation to price match something you've already purchased. And it wouldn't make a lot of sense (outside of the customer's happiness) to start dishing out refunds. After all, that $5000 would have to come out of their pockets directly since your purchase is almost always going to be financed by a bank and Tesla has no authority to tell the bank there's been a price change after you've already signed on the dotted line.

Their offerings are a sales strategy (eg. new configs, lower prices, free supercharge offers, etc) to get more people buying their cars. If those of us that already have a car were entitled to a refund of the price change, they'd never be able to lower costs; someone would always have "just taken delivery" and want a refund.

Do you have a Tesla contact for someone that can help me with a few important issues Dealing with the $5,500 price loss Of my P3D+ since I took delivery?
For the record I’m NOT willing to forfeit my Free Unlimited Supercharging For Life for a $5k refund that Elon offered to take back on Twitter Friday in exchange for the $5k refund. Free Unlimited Supercharging For Lifewas a separate incentive for using a friends referral code, which qualified me to receive that FREE benefit.
Tesla needs to come up with a better offer, because I refuse to return my Free Unlimited Supercharging For Life that I was awarded.

As a Tesla supporter who volunteered to help with deliveries at the Brandon delivery center on 9/29 to help with big Q3 push I’m extremely upset about how this behind the scenes restructuring transpired, basically instantly dropping the value of my Performance model 3 with PUP by $5k overnight only 37 days after my rushed delivery which was originally scheduled for 10/02/2018 but I volunteered to take delivery early and pay cash which now seems to have worked against me. I called to complain about this issue and spoke with Roy based out of Las Vegas Nevada on Saturday he was aware of other complaints like mine and he mentioned to me that there was nothing yet in place for Tesla to do about this issue at that time.

The other issue being a $200 Tesla credit that is missing from my account that was promised to me be the Tampa Service Center manager for paint defects.

Roy said he couldn’t see anything on my account reflecting a $200 credit (I had originally asked for a $500 Tesla credit)

I sincerely hope this matter it’s taken seriously by Tesla and hope that a mutually agreeable offer will be made to me to rectify this situation. Please forward this email to upper level Tesla management and ask to respond to me by my email address on file with Tesla.

Sincerely,
You gotta be way more succinct - nobody has time to read that! And since this is formal demand letter, always, always, always end it with "B*tch Betta Have My Money."

Keep it up, guys. Tesla is going to tell everyone to suck it up with all the demands and ridiculous lawsuit threats floating around. The way they'll see it is this - you're already pissed off and mad at Tesla. Changing their minds on the refund is going to do what? Make you pissed off and mad at Tesla? They might as well as giving a refund isn't good enough for many people here and they'll end up dishing out cash and still have people pissed off at them.

lose/lose for Tesla.

• Love