Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience adding foglights to my 2016 S75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 Model S 75 did not come with fog lights, or even the cool light pipe on the side. Just the plain black piece with amber light/reflector. Read a bunch things on many forums and it’s all over the place from people paying $2K plus to have Tesla install it and program the computer to add the foglight button on the MCU. Others have said that they will charge you $2k whether you installed it yourself or not. Found one guy who finally was able to buy it and install it himself but had Tesla program the virtual button. It cost him $1800.
Using a bunch of cross referencing and deductive work, I figured out the part numbers that I needed (Tesla's online catalog isn't very clear).

6005914-00-F
6005913-00-F

The F is the revision and I was told by the parts desk that any after Rev D would work. So I asked for pricing on the part from Tesla. At first the guy was gung-ho about getting me the quote and that he had it in stock. But low and behold, he emailed me later that day that those lights wouldn’t work for and that I’d have to bring it in to the SC to have it installed by Tesla, parts and labor. I was sure that he’d quote me that same $2k pricing, but never actually got back to me. I had a hunch that it was the correct part numbers and they just wanted to do the whole thing so that they could make some money off of it. So I looked for them on eBay, paid a bit more for A-grade listing (the same seller had them in various grades and wonderfully provided very clear photos of the light lens on each listing.) At around this same time, I had a Service Ranger come out to check out my frunk latch sensor. I asked him how much and how big of a deal it was to program the fog light button if I were to install them myself. I totally lucked out meeting this guy. He told me that it’s a cinch. I already had his cell number so he told me to text him after I’d installed the lights. Whenever he's in the area and not too busy, he'd swing by.

DO NOT order the lights until you find a Ranger that's willing to program it.

I then ordered the lights and a week and a half after it came, I got busy installing it. It took me about an hour and a half. I also ordered some chrome wraps for the fins just in front of the air louvers to complete the look. There’s a YouTube video that made taking the bumper off relatively easy.

With some boxes to keep the bumper from dropping to the ground and a universal joint socket, I didn't need to lift the car and was able to do it all myself without help. The only thing that made it less than a slam dunk was the fact that all of the cables routed to the passenger side of the bumper. It made working on this side very tight and required that I cut several zip-ties securing the cable loom to get a bit of room and slack (please make sure to re-secure the cable loom with new zip-ties). But once I was set, the lights were a direct replacement and the cable harness was completely plug and play. Even without programming, the light pipe lit right up as soon as my lights were on. It was also great to know what was under the skin of my lovely girl.

Once I buttoned it back up, I texted the guy. He normally works the Orange County CA area. It took him less than a week to find time for me. So this morning, he text and asked if I was going to be home. Of course I’m working from home as many people are. He told me he’d grab some lunch and head over. He came and pulled out his laptop, plugged it in and took care of it. It took about 5 minutes. I asked him if this is going to be logged or off the books? He says it will be logged since Tesla can track the service car (also an Model S) and petty sure Tesla tracks whatever the application does as far as programming the vehicle. He’d be taking care of it as a good will service. He said he’s not charging me, but I slipped him two 20s anyway. He was very appreciative, and I am very happy. Your mileage may vary since I’m not sure every Ranger will be this cool. But instead of costing me $2K, I just spent less than $300 for parts and the optional $40 for tip. The only time I would try this is if you’re able to directly get a hold of a Ranger in your area and are able to ask them. I think the best time to ask is if you have some other mobile service scheduled and just casually ask them while they're doing it. Ask if they would do it BEFORE you purchase the lights. Asking the SC dispatch would surely send you to bank!

I know not everyone thinks fog lights are very useful, especially here in SoCal, but every time I drive passed another MS and see them, I can’t help but feel envious. It really makes the MS look more striking at night. Now I just need to adjust it. It's point a bit high, I think.

And NO I will not give you the Ranger's number...

FWIW, I bought used fogs off eBay and installed them knowing there’s a chance Tesla may not play ball and program the button, but I was willing to take that risk since the “light pipes” on the side work either way. A ranger was at my house working on some unrelated warranty and hooked me up. Super easy firmware update.

Thank you so much for your detailed retrofit. I saw a video on YouTube for a model 3 fog light retrofit however that video showed him removing the plastic around the wheel well and doing everything without removing the bumper. Do you think that there is any way to install this retrofit without removing the bumper? Also did you have a facelift 16 Model S?