Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience and Other Musings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla owners!

I want to begin by expressing my excitement in joining this forum. I look forward to getting to know the entire community.

I’ve had my 90D Model S for 6 months now and my every day commute is a real treat. Elon and Tesla team really has a great product here.

My experience purchasing the car was less than pleasant but I really did fall in love after the test drive and was ready to part ways with my BMW 7.

I was willing to ignore it but a few friends I referred also had bad experiences. This just really upsets me.

I work near the Yorkdale showroom. Now its busy every day there but the staff really wants to help. My owner advisor was pushy, repeatedly asked for my credit card, rolled his eyes at my questions, and made me feel like I was wasting his time. He answered texts during my configuration. He put down my car and asked why I wanted to drive another old man’s car. This really upset me.

He was horrible at following up with me and took a while to get a trade in value for me. He just said his manager took a long time with the value.

After I got my value, he emailed me 3 times a day and then moved to calling me. Each time he ended a conversation asking why I wasn’t ordering. When I asked if another tesla rep could help me he insisted that was a bad idea. He told me he’s a senior owner advisor and its best to stay with him to not waste time.

I ordered my Model S online and ignored him. Delivery team was better and I never had to go back to Yorkdale.

My friends say this owner advisor is still pushy and makes them feel uncomfortable. For example one friend said like a dumb kid when he was explained the difference between leasing and financing. We are not walking into the showroom to waste time. It’s just sad and upsetting.

Warning to anyone thinking of buying at Yorkdale with John.

I had couple of bad experience too at york dale but too be honest it always comes from the same guy...I'm not sure of his name. But is he a bit older? mid 40s? wearing glasses ? about 5'9" ? looking guy?

That guy was rolling his eyes too, and he made me feel like my question was a waste of his time...but that just got to my nerve and i know what the Tesla experience was supposed to be about, so I purposely asked tons of question that I already knew the answer...

But Give Yorkdale another chance, there are great people there, especially the young ones, they are always excited to help you and they are not pushy at all...

...rolled his eyes at my questions... Warning to anyone thinking of buying at Yorkdale with John.

That guy was rolling his eyes too, and he made me feel like my question was a waste of his time.

Send your experience/complaints to NA sales here:

Contact | Tesla Canada

Hopefully, as a result, his superiors will have a talk with him so he can change his ways rather than lose his job, but if he doesn't change then he shouldn't be working with the public.

• Informative
Reactions: Pdub2015
Thank you all for making me feel welcome and adding your comments!

No, I believe John was an Asian fellow, maybe late 20s or early 30s. Seems like an ongoing issue. Talked to another owner at a supercharger and he had even worse experience with John. Ended up cancelling and buying a model s off of a buddy

Does tesla keep up with this forum too? I'd hate for more people to deal with this.

I had couple of bad experience too at york dale but too be honest it always comes from the same guy...I'm not sure of his name. But is he a bit older? mid 40s? wearing glasses ? about 5'9" ? looking guy?

That guy was rolling his eyes too, and he made me feel like my question was a waste of his time...but that just got to my nerve and i know what the Tesla experience was supposed to be about, so I purposely asked tons of question that I already knew the answer...

But Give Yorkdale another chance, there are great people there, especially the young ones, they are always excited to help you and they are not pushy at all...

Thank you
Everyone at Yorkdale seemed okay and not like a dealership
Until I met this John fellow

We dealt with Clyde at Yorkdale back in Dec of 2015 all the way to delivery of our 90D at end of March 16'. Professional, knowledgeable and an absolute pleasure to deal with. Wasn't pushy nor did he make myself or my wife feel negative in any way. We had such a good experience that we actually go back to say hi from time to time!

I suppose everyone has a different take depending on whom they received service from. I agree that Tesla should streamline their sales training a bit more effectively so that it's a consistent experience for everyone.

Experience at the Mississauga service centre has been equally as positive with Edwin. Fast email replies, communicative and friendly.

We are thus far pleased.

Reactions: Jaff
We dealt with Clyde at Yorkdale back in Dec of 2015 all the way to delivery of our 90D at end of March 16'. Professional, knowledgeable and an absolute pleasure to deal with. Wasn't pushy nor did he make myself or my wife feel negative in any way. We had such a good experience that we actually go back to say hi from time to time!

I suppose everyone has a different take depending on whom they received service from. I agree that Tesla should streamline their sales training a bit more effectively so that it's a consistent experience for everyone.

Experience at the Mississauga service centre has been equally as positive with Edwin. Fast email replies, communicative and friendly.

We are thus far pleased.

Oh wow! Glad to hear your experience was not like mine. I agree, experiences do vary but in my opinion some of us are not cut out for customer service.

My baby sister's lease is coming up soon. Her and my brother in law are really pro-Tesla but after hearing about my experience, they are looking to buy a fairly new 75D from a work colleague. They are both doctors and know dozens of Tesla owners both in the city and at their vacation home. Even if someone asked me for a tesla sales rep, I ripped up this owner advisor's card. Not worth the time, effort, or paper the card is printed on.

Hello fellow Tesla

I want to begin by expressing my excitement in joining this forum. I look forward to getting to know the entire community.

I’ve had my 90D Model S for 6 months now and my every day commute is a real treat. Elon and Tesla team really has a great product here.

My experience purchasing the car was less than pleasant but I really did fall in love after the test drive and was ready to part ways with my BMW 7.

I was willing to ignore it but a few friends I referred also had bad experiences. This just really upsets me.

I work near the Yorkdale showroom. Now its busy every day there but the staff really wants to help. My owner advisor was pushy, repeatedly asked for my credit card, rolled his eyes at my questions, and made me feel like I was wasting his time. He answered texts during my configuration. He put down my car and asked why I wanted to drive another old man’s car. This really upset me.

He was horrible at following up with me and took a while to get a trade in value for me. He just said his manager took a long time with the value.

After I got my value, he emailed me 3 times a day and then moved to calling me. Each time he ended a conversation asking why I wasn’t ordering. When I asked if another tesla rep could help me he insisted that was a bad idea. He told me he’s a senior owner advisor and its best to stay with him to not waste time.

I ordered my Model S online and ignored him. Delivery team was better and I never had to go back to Yorkdale.

My friends say this owner advisor is still pushy and makes them feel uncomfortable. For example one friend said like a dumb kid when he was explained the difference between leasing and financing. We are not walking into the showroom to waste time. It’s just sad and upsetting.

I purchased my 70D back in February and I have to admit that my experience is completely opposite of yours. John was a really nice guy and he helped me to choose what fits me the best. I initially wanted a 85D but after some discussions and considerations, we both agreed 70D fits me the best..In addition, he helped me to follow up and answered many dumb questions I had. Also, John helped to organize a Tesla event which allows many tesla owners to meet up and have BBQ & beer. I agreed that experience varies based on each person's experience but the one I had was fabulous..just throwing my two cents.

On another note, why don't you bring it up the the manager at that time and just mention names right now on this forum..you know we are unable to verify if it is true or not (vice versa) but it is not ethical to bring up someone's name like that..if it is what you say it is, great, you can help others but if it isn't then you are destroying someone's reputation. I will suggest to remove the name and PM the others who asks you for it

I purchased my 70D back in February and I have to admit that my experience is completely opposite of yours. John was a really nice guy and he helped me to choose what fits me the best. I initially wanted a 85D but after some discussions and considerations, we both agreed 70D fits me the best..In addition, he helped me to follow up and answered many dumb questions I had. Also, John helped to organize a Tesla event which allows many tesla owners to meet up and have BBQ & beer. I agreed that experience varies based on each person's experience but the one I had was fabulous..just throwing my two cents.

That's great that John is really involved and offered advice. I was simply expressing my story as a way of informing other consumers. I would have let it go just to quickly end unpleasant experience but now that I speak to others interested in a model s, it makes me feel like I should say something.

That's great that John is really involved and offered advice. I was simply expressing my story as a way of informing other consumers. I would have let it go just to quickly end unpleasant experience but now that I speak to others interested in a model s, it makes me feel like I should say something.

No offence but I just feel very odd because of the following reasons:

1. You have a fresh account that is created on the past Sunday

2. This is your first post as a new member

3. You did not report to manager or make any sort of complaint after the incident you described

To be honest, no matter what, I think it is just not ethically correct to mention someone's name outright because this is the internet and once you write something down, you can never take back..as I mention before, there might be misunderstanding in between but before you try to reach a resolution through tesla or to John directly, you already determined it and punished him by posting his name outright..to me, this is just unethical

I have to echo the bad experiences at Yorkdale.

I've always chalked it up to them trying to fit into the snobby, cold, arrogant style of Yorkdale. Perhaps they are emulating Holt Renfrew :p

Seriously, I've found the general experience of dealing with the staff at Yorkdale actually worse than a typical BMW or Mercedes dealer. They really do need to change it up there as it doesn't look good on the brand.

I just got a trade value on my 2010 BMW 750i msport w/xdrive. The offer is pretty low. Wondering how you did on your trade?

Tesla does not directly handle the trade-in, rather, they have an external party review your vehicle and get several competing quotes for it. Tesla is not the one making the low offer, this is what these third parties have bid, Tesla informs you of the highest bid amount.

Selling privately may net you more money, or even approaching a BMW dealer.

But also note that in Ontario, there are significant tax advantages going through Tesla on the trade-in, as you only pay the tax on the difference in what you paid for your Tesla vs what Tesla was able to get from the third party trade-in bid.

In our case, trading in a 2010 Mercedes, the tax advantages were enough to accept the Tesla third party trade-in offer.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk