Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience bringing a Tesla to Dubai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add to Ames' comment, we have a Tesla group of about 35 owners with more then 40 Teslas (both Model S and X) in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, as well as Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, and from experience, the Model S has handled the GCC conditions quite well. No bigger issues that cannot be solved by a Ranger. Of the entire fleet, only one 2013 P85 has had drivetrain issues that required the car to be shipped back. As Alex said, a Ranger visits twice per year, and those who need work done, share the costs for his trip. In the end, it doesn't cost more then a regular service for a premium German car.

Regarding warranty, it is our understanding, confirmed by Tesla, that a US spec Tesla would lose warranty if shipped outside, but an EU spec will not. For this, and for other reasons, we recommend buying a EU Spec car. Also, as Galve2000 mentioned, Tesla will eventually establish presence in the UAE, sooner rather then later. If you're keen, i would say go for it, you won't regret it one bit.

J.

Dear All

Thank you for your replies.

I am in buying mode at the moment to replace my BMW530, and because that i was discouraged i was looking for another piston car.
I think i will reconsider and maybe "join the club" here. Cant wait to not have to go the gas station anymore.

Does someone have a record of service for their cars? as i have no experience, my reference is my previous cars, and i guess the only thing different is that i don't have to change (motor) oil anymore.
I am not looking at this from a running cost perspective, more a convenience perspective.

I now have the itch again, and will visit Tesla when i go to Copenhagen mid December to discuss options.

Thanks
Anders

Hi Luay,

According to a friendly Tesla Ranger we now have 41 Teslas in the UAE, 37 Model S and 4 Model X. They have battled through the hot summer admirably. I don't find the ac any more or less capable than any other car I have owned out here.

I would say from my own use around 8% of the range goes to keeping the car cool. Remember the car cooling system is designed to handle much higher heat loads than ambient temperature e.g. during Supercharging or Ludicrous acceleration to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds.

Here is a pic of my dash while cruising at motorway speeds on a typical hot day...49 celcius.
View attachment 197377

Lovely !

Dear All

Thank you for your replies.

I am in buying mode at the moment to replace my BMW530, and because that i was discouraged i was looking for another piston car.
I think i will reconsider and maybe "join the club" here. Cant wait to not have to go the gas station anymore.

Does someone have a record of service for their cars? as i have no experience, my reference is my previous cars, and i guess the only thing different is that i don't have to change (motor) oil anymore.
I am not looking at this from a running cost perspective, more a convenience perspective.

I now have the itch again, and will visit Tesla when i go to Copenhagen mid December to discuss options.

Thanks
Anders

Hi Bojelarsen,

I have had my P90D for almost a year (Delivered in December 8th 2015). In that time the only thing I have done is to top up the air pressure in the tyres. I love visiting the petrol station to do this and driving past the 30 minute queue in my kick-ass EV :D

@Bojelarsen, as long as you have a place to charge at home (although that is also not a problem in Dubai as there are 100 DEWA public charging stations thorughout Dubai), there's no reason not to get a Tesla here. Also, I'd suggest the route most of us take, to buy through Norway, as there are no taxes there. When importing the car in the UAE, you have to pay 5% import duty on the invoice price. Drop me or Ames a message, and we can add you to our group of owners, for further support.

For body repairs we used Mercedes who have repaired one of our fleet of 45+.

I would love to hear more about this? I was told it is very difficult for a non-Tesla-authorized body shop to get parts from Tesla for repairs. Is this policy not enforced outside the USA?

Body work is a major concern of mine. lets just say the streets of Athens or the little village where I will be doing most of my driving are rather narrow and I anticipate fender-benders to be quite common, i'm sad to say.

I would love to hear more about this? I was told it is very difficult for a non-Tesla-authorized body shop to get parts from Tesla for repairs. Is this policy not enforced outside the USA?

Body work is a major concern of mine. lets just say the streets of Athens or the little village where I will be doing most of my driving are rather narrow and I anticipate fender-benders to be quite common, i'm sad to say.

The parts were ordered from Tilburg. Tesla were very helpful and it took a few weeks to get them shipped out. In this case a new hood and front bumper. The guys at Mercedes said they really enjoyed working on the Model S. They did a terrific job. What surprised me is that it was done in about the same time as everyone else from what I've read on the forums.

PS: when I say Mercedes that is a little misleading, it is the local Benz dealer in Abu Dhabi.

I will be heading out to Dubai for a couple of days with the family next month leaving my X behind. It will be my 2nd time, previously I only stayed for one day and mostly drove around (didn't get to see much of the city). Are Tesla's a common sight? Here in Orange County I see 10-15 Tesla's daily.

I am thinking about staying at the Armani (will be in Dubai for 4 days), but I can't find a two bedroom suite and I prefer to have a small apartment-like room that has a kitchen, refrigerator, laundry, etc...
I know this is the wrong forum to discuss this but any sightseeing recommendations for a short stay? Or travel tips?

Do they have a Tesla store?

And Verizon charges $3 per mb on roaming so I will have to find a local SIM card but I also ordered one of these: GlocalMe U2: Ultimate Wi-Fi everywhere you travel

Will only be in Dubai for four days so I won't need a rental car but if they have a Tesla rental service I might do it.

I will be heading out to Dubai for a couple of days with the family next month leaving my X behind. It will be my 2nd time, previously I only stayed for one day and mostly drove around (didn't get to see much of the city). Are Tesla's a common sight? Here in Orange County I see 10-15 Tesla's daily.

I am thinking about staying at the Armani (will be in Dubai for 4 days), but I can't find a two bedroom suite and I prefer to have a small apartment-like room that has a kitchen, refrigerator, laundry, etc...
I know this is the wrong forum to discuss this but any sightseeing recommendations for a short stay? Or travel tips?

Do they have a Tesla store?

And Verizon charges $3 per mb on roaming so I will have to find a local SIM card but I also ordered one of these: GlocalMe U2: Ultimate Wi-Fi everywhere you travel

Will only be in Dubai for four days so I won't need a rental car but if they have a Tesla rental service I might do it.

Hello K-MTG,

Hope you have a safe trip here

Regarding Tesla's being a common sight here there is only about 40 teslas currently in the country so definitely not, renting one im guessing is impossible.

Since you are looking for a two bed you seem to be coming with a family and unless walking around dubai mall all day is a priority then staying in downtown isn't something I would recommend, but if you really want to I would recommend the address as you get a view of the burj and the fountain but I dont know if it will be open by then (still closed from the new years fire).

In my opinion you are coming in the beautiful weather months so book a hotel anywhere in JBR (carleton ritz is recommended) or Atlantis on the Palm or Jumeirah beach hotel/Burj al arab in Jumeirah beach. These provide all day beach access and lots of activities for the day (and night). at the carleton ritz you have a beautiful beach and are a short stroll to the beach mall which is a great area for dining/ activities. Atlantis on the palm has a great water park and many high end dining options/ bars for nighttime, Burj al arab/jumeirah beach hotel also provide access to wild wadi a great water park and kite beach is not far away, a public beach that is popular to the local residents.

Things you should visit in my opinion:

Dubai Mall (dancing fountain / aquarium/ burj khalifa at the top viewing deck)
-For the dancing fountain I would book a table in advance either at sammach (authentic arabic seafood) or Karma (japanese fusion) both are in souk al bahar
-For the viewing deck if you don't care about the informative section of going up burj khalifa, there is a bar/restaurant located a few levels below called atmosphere. I would book for afternoon drinks around 4.30 and then enjoy the day view and sunset around 5.30 from the comfort of a seat and some snacks/food. This way you save on tickets/ spend it on drinks and food.

Beach Day (Hotel beach, JBR beach, kite beach, aquaventure, wild wadi) you can follow that with a bar/restaurant in these area's (barasti, zero gravity, trader vics at souq madinat jumeirah etc.)

Take the time out for a fancy dinner at any of the following places (Zuma, Roberto's, Buddha bar, Catch)

Do the old dubai markets thing, take a abra across the creek, and then eat at arabian tea house cafe)

Depending on your time visit:
-Ripe market at zabeel park on Fridays 9am-3pm (Highly recommended and you should go early)
-Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa for dinner and a show
-Ras al khor wildlife sanctuary
-Global Village
-Dubai Parks and Resorts
-Dolphin bay
-City walk
-Club vista mare on the palm jumeirah
-Dubai marina yacht club / pier 7/ Rent a yacht for 4 hours (I recommend xclusive)

Use Uber/careem, cabs have recently learned the I dont know where I am and where im going trick.

If you go to dubai mall, dont visit any other malls its all the same unless you go skiing in emirates mall, worst thing are tourists that come and do nothing but walk around the mall and then complain that there isn't much to do but shop.

Enjoy your trip and if you need any advice on anything in specific don't hesitate to ask

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG and ATC@LWSK