Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience bringing a Tesla to Dubai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello K-MTG,

Hope you have a safe trip here

Regarding Tesla's being a common sight here there is only about 40 teslas currently in the country so definitely not, renting one im guessing is impossible.

Since you are looking for a two bed you seem to be coming with a family and unless walking around dubai mall all day is a priority then staying in downtown isn't something I would recommend, but if you really want to I would recommend the address as you get a view of the burj and the fountain but I dont know if it will be open by then (still closed from the new years fire).

In my opinion you are coming in the beautiful weather months so book a hotel anywhere in JBR (carleton ritz is recommended) or Atlantis on the Palm or Jumeirah beach hotel/Burj al arab in Jumeirah beach. These provide all day beach access and lots of activities for the day (and night). at the carleton ritz you have a beautiful beach and are a short stroll to the beach mall which is a great area for dining/ activities. Atlantis on the palm has a great water park and many high end dining options/ bars for nighttime, Burj al arab/jumeirah beach hotel also provide access to wild wadi a great water park and kite beach is not far away, a public beach that is popular to the local residents.

Things you should visit in my opinion:

Dubai Mall (dancing fountain / aquarium/ burj khalifa at the top viewing deck)
-For the dancing fountain I would book a table in advance either at sammach (authentic arabic seafood) or Karma (japanese fusion) both are in souk al bahar
-For the viewing deck if you don't care about the informative section of going up burj khalifa, there is a bar/restaurant located a few levels below called atmosphere. I would book for afternoon drinks around 4.30 and then enjoy the day view and sunset around 5.30 from the comfort of a seat and some snacks/food. This way you save on tickets/ spend it on drinks and food.

Beach Day (Hotel beach, JBR beach, kite beach, aquaventure, wild wadi) you can follow that with a bar/restaurant in these area's (barasti, zero gravity, trader vics at souq madinat jumeirah etc.)

Take the time out for a fancy dinner at any of the following places (Zuma, Roberto's, Buddha bar, Catch)

Do the old dubai markets thing, take a abra across the creek, and then eat at arabian tea house cafe)

Depending on your time visit:
-Ripe market at zabeel park on Fridays 9am-3pm (Highly recommended and you should go early)
-Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa for dinner and a show
-Ras al khor wildlife sanctuary
-Global Village
-Dubai Parks and Resorts
-Dolphin bay
-City walk
-Club vista mare on the palm jumeirah
-Dubai marina yacht club / pier 7/ Rent a yacht for 4 hours (I recommend xclusive)

Use Uber/careem, cabs have recently learned the I dont know where I am and where im going trick.

If you go to dubai mall, dont visit any other malls its all the same unless you go skiing in emirates mall, worst thing are tourists that come and do nothing but walk around the mall and then complain that there isn't much to do but shop.

Enjoy your trip and if you need any advice on anything in specific don't hesitate to ask

Thanks for this detailed post! I will definitely make a detailed itinerary on what to do each day or else I will miss out.

sorry, what is the I don't know where i am and where I'm going trick exactly?
Hey, im referring to cabs taking longer routes than necessary by pretending to be lost. Its something common in many tourist cities and Dubai did not have this problem until recently as far as I can tell that is why I am recommending a gps based service like uber or careem.

Been in Dubai since Tuesday will leave on Saturday. Haven't seen a Tesla yet ): I really miss driving my X.
I rented a Chevy Cruz for my road trip to Abu Dhabi, the route was easy using Google Maps but some of the drivers here.... I got lights flashed at me even though I was driving at 150 Kph

But the roads are super smooth and clean, compared to SoCal

Nobody asked on the thread yet but what are the reactions to Teslas in Dubai?

I was there a year ago and saw a lot of great cars driving around so it seems like there is a big car-crazed population that appreciates unique cars - wondering if Teslas gets any attention in UAE among all the supercars?

Anyone driving with a tiger in the passenger seat of their Tesla yet? :)

@K-MTG I love bragging about how much it costs to fill up my Tesla here...Petrol is not cheap here - it is pretty much market rate, not subsidised as it used to be years ago.

@dhcp There are two types of people those that know Teslas and those that don't. I have had a lot of fun enthusiastic conversations with Tesla fans, and seen a few shocked faces after stoplight drags from people who can't comprehend the acceleration with no noise. People assume it is just a fancy Maserati or something like that. I do have problems with valet parking attendants who automatically think that it is so upmarket it must therefore have soft-close doors and always end up closing them twice...lol.

@K-MTG I love bragging about how much it costs to fill up my Tesla here...Petrol is not cheap here - it is pretty much market rate, not subsidised as it used to be years ago.

@dhcp There are two types of people those that know Teslas and those that don't. I have had a lot of fun enthusiastic conversations with Tesla fans, and seen a few shocked faces after stoplight drags from people who can't comprehend the acceleration with no noise. People assume it is just a fancy Maserati or something like that. I do have problems with valet parking attendants who automatically think that it is so upmarket it must therefore have soft-close doors and always end up closing them twice...lol.

I was told electricity is also expensive in Dubai, how much does it cost to charge the Tesla?

Electricity is at 5 fils per kWh for UAE Nationals and 21 fils for expats. That means it costs an Emarati 3.9 Dhs or $1.06 for 78 kWh which should fill up an empty P90D. I do not know what are the charging losses but I'm sure they will not add significantly to the cost. I am getting the Emarati rate at my villa as the utilities are in the name of the owner. With the same calculation it will cost 16.4 Dhs or $4.46 for an Expat. In 2017 the rates are scheduled to go up to 5.5 fils for Emaratis and 26.8 fils for expats.

Conclusion: ridiculously cheap.

Source: Water, electricity to cost more in Abu Dhabi - Khaleej Times

@K-MTG

Would love to be a fly on the wall to see the expression on the faces when your p90dl educates then on proper quickness!

Been in Dubai since Tuesday will leave on Saturday. Haven't seen a Tesla yet ): I really miss driving my X.
I rented a Chevy Cruz for my road trip to Abu Dhabi, the route was easy using Google Maps but some of the drivers here.... I got lights flashed at me even though I was driving at 150 Kph

But the roads are super smooth and clean, compared to SoCal

Budget just sent me a $200 fine 700 AED for a traffic violation. Had no idea the Chevy Cruz I rented was capable of going over the speed limit.

You were doing 93 mph; that would get a fine anywhere except the German Autobahn. It is not uncommon for us to have thousands of dollars of fines to pay every year. We do have excellent infrastructure with fast roads - it is very easy to speed. Imagine - I did not get a fine in a year on my P90DL but somehow managed to get one while driving my Mom's ponderous Range Rover for an evening...

Reactions: K-MTG
Hi FB, Ames & the rest of you.

You might know this already, but Tesla is officially launching in Dubai this Monday February 13th 2017 at 19 (7 PM) at the Burj Khalifa (world's tallest building btw).

Elon Musk will be there for the launch, as he is already in Dubai a day in advance to speak at the World Government Summit (along with Obama, the Ruler of Dubai and a very long list of other VIPs).

So first of all, congratulations on getting Tesla sales & service to all of you in Dubai! I'm from Norway, so I have had an S 85 for a long time, and all I can say is that you have much to look forward to.

Second, I will be at the At.Mosphere Lounge in Burj Khalifa from 17 (5 PM), so if any Tesla addicts would like to meet me there, or even better, smuggle me into the launch show downstairs to be able to see Musk preach, let me know :)

Michael Angelo

Hi FB, Ames & the rest of you.

You might know this already, but Tesla is officially launching in Dubai this Monday February 13th 2017 at 19 (7 PM) at the Burj Khalifa (world's tallest building btw).

Elon Musk will be there for the launch, as he is already in Dubai a day in advance to speak at the World Government Summit (along with Obama, the Ruler of Dubai and a very long list of other VIPs).

So first of all, congratulations on getting Tesla sales & service to all of you in Dubai! I'm from Norway, so I have had an S 85 for a long time, and all I can say is that you have much to look forward to.

Second, I will be at the At.Mosphere Lounge in Burj Khalifa from 17 (5 PM), so if any Tesla addicts would like to meet me there, or even better, smuggle me into the launch show downstairs to be able to see Musk preach, let me know :)

Michael Angelo

I wonder if the event will be live streamed, any forum member officially invited? I suppose if you book a room at the Armani you can sneak in?