Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience buying n approved used Tesla from Birmingham

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I’d share my experience of buying a used Model S from the Birmingham Tesla shop.
Brief background. I bought a Hyundai Ioniq electric in 2017 and decided I wanted a Tesla so that I could enjoy charge-anxiety-free driving in a car with better performance. I had decided a long time ago that, if the price is roughly the same, it would be a no brainer to go Tesla rather than any other brand EV.

First of all I originally went to Tesla Birmingham to show them photos of the headlights on a 2018 MS that I was thinking about buying from an independent dealership. One headlight had failed and the other yellowing. I was trying to get an idea of whether they would both be fixed under the remaining warranty.
After hearing that the yellowing headlight was a questionable fix and a general feeling of unease buying from that independent dealer, I decided not to buy it.
Instead, while I was in the Birmingham Tesla shop, I asked them to show me what used model S they had in stock. Red 75D.

There was a 2018 75D available with <28k miles which was several thousand more expensive than the one I was previously considering, but the 1 year/10k mile warranty plus assurance that it would be delivered with 'everything fixed' got me over the line.

I was offered less than £15k on my 42k mile 2017 Hyundai Ioniq premium SE electric (in good condition), so I decided to have a stab at selling it privately.

I inspected the S a few days later in Birmingham prior to delivery.
I was assured that both headlights would be replaced, it would have new tyres and the one dint and significant paint issues I pointed out would be fixed. And the CCS upgrade would be applied.

When it was delivered over a week later, it came with a bunch of Tesla merchandise, which was nice.
But only the CCS upgrade had been done, so I called and it was booked in for all the remaining work on the following Tuesday.
The Saturday prior, my partner pressed the button to open the tailgate and she lifted it at the same time. Something she was used to doing with the Ioniq, of course.
This led to the tailgate sticking neither open nor closed, with us unable to move it and the car reporting it as open.
I called Tesla and they booked it in for Monday, but since the car was due in on Tuesday I decided to live with it (not being lockable) until then.

I dropped it off on the Tuesday morning and they gave me a P100D loaner. That was nice.
The service guy replaced both headlights and an alloy and the bodywork guy made the dint disappear completely and fixed most of the paint issues. It's a 4 year old car - I don't expect it to be as good as new. And, of course, they fixed the tailgate issue. Stretched cable, he said.
And he replaced the broken rear number plate holder and fitted two new (green striped) plates.
So with everything done, I was happy.

IMG_5416.JPG

Then a couple of days later, when I wanted to get a free charge from a local Tesco, I found my type 2 cable was missing from the frunk. The bag was there, but no cable.
I guess, while the frunk was out of the car for headlight replacement, someone in the service department had borrowed the cable and not returned it.
It took too long, honestly, for a replacement to arrive. Eventually they sent a junior guy to hand deliver a type 2 cable.

Meanwhile I sold the Ioniq for a bit under £18k, so I was super happy about that.

IMG_5203.JPG

Now, I'm loving my S. Even though the Enhanced Autopilot upgrade still hasn't been reapplied to the car. They did say it would take up to three months to happen. Why, though?
Anyway, I'm happy with my Tesla. The ride is fantastic. I drove my Ioniq once more before it was sold and in comparison I noticed a lot of body roll. No noticeable body roll in the S.
I've ordered a Thinkware F770 to be fitted as TeslaCam is disappointing.
There are lots of other comparisons I could make with the Ioniq, but very few where it's better (e.g. Carplay & cooled seats) and countless where the Tesla is better.

Am I glad I purchased an approved used car directly from Tesla? Yes. Peace of mind is worth a lot. And I'm probably going to pay for extended warranties going forward.
Shame they make the occasional f-up like not doing the work prior to delivery and losing the type 2 cable. I guess these are symptoms of a less organised service department.
And maybe inadequate communication between sales and service.
Not a perfect experience, but no regrets.

I'm glad you had such a good experience with purchasing your first Tesla, be aware it may not be your last!
My own experience has been that if you give them the chance to respond, they will almost always do so. I purchased my first Tesla (P85D) in 1976 as a one year old approved purchase direct from Tesla Birmingham. My own experience with them over the last 6 years has been just about perfect. Certainly I can say that any problems I have experienced have been dealt with in a friendly, caring and efficient manner. When I decided to change models in 2019 it was for a new car which made using Tesla essential. I did however secure a much better price for my old car from R Symons. Their service was exemplary and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I went from a 2018 Ioniq Electric to a 3. Like you wanted more range.
The Ioniq was prone to front wheel wobble if you floored it. Lane keep was a bit hit & miss
Miss the aircon seats but I really really miss a speed limiter!
Looked at an S but thought it was a bit bigger than I wanted

It's a kind of glass half full (they fixed the issues) or half empty thing (the car should never have been delivered like that).

My experience was somewhat different - a problem with the car meant they cancelled pick up twice and when I did go to pick it up there was still a fault. Add to that they only cancelled the deliveries after I'd fully paid for the car so I was carless for 2 weeks (and no they can only supply a car after I'd taken delivery). Luckily I could manage. They'd also already told me they'd replaced a bumper and the colour match wasn't great, the pearl white thing is difficult, but they just told me thats as good as it gets.

It's a kind of glass half full (they fixed the issues) or half empty thing (the car should never have been delivered like that).

My experience was somewhat different - a problem with the car meant they cancelled pick up twice and when I did go to pick it up there was still a fault. Add to that they only cancelled the deliveries after I'd fully paid for the car so I was carless for 2 weeks (and no they can only supply a car after I'd taken delivery). Luckily I could manage. They'd also already told me they'd replaced a bumper and the colour match wasn't great, the pearl white thing is difficult, but they just told me thats as good as it gets.
Yeah to be honest, I would rather they took their time and got better results. I told them this while I had the P100D :)
The important aspect is communication. Better to under promise and over deliver. Tesla, I'm sensing, do the opposite too much.