Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience With a Flooded Model S in Houston

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't there a date in which Tesla started sealing the batteries? It is a vague memory but if I recall correctly Elon tweeted something about it. Once again it is a vague memory so I might be wrong. I'll continue to search for the details.
That's a good question. We've been driving our 2012 Model S 85 with a loaner battery since January because of a moisture-intrusion-related fault in the original battery pack (and Tesla having higher priorities than repairing our original pack). I'm not complaining, as the loaner pack has several more miles of range and faster Supercharging compared with our original pack. While we park outdoors and drive in normal rainy and snowy weather, there was no good reason for moisture intrusion into the pack. We're thankful that Tesla has handled this well.

Someone in NY wouldn't understand. People along the Gulf would. He specifically said his house is four feet off the ground for a reason. It would have taken the OP less time to put his car in a garage than it did to take the pictures and make this post.
If you can predict with accuracy the timing of a flooding event, you could make a fortune as a weathman in Houston. And this was a multiday event which included long stretches of no rain. It started raining Saturday evening and didn't stop until Sunday afternoon. I live near Brays Bayou. Attached is a screenshot that will display how quickly it went from calm and safe to disaster. I'm sure you would have had the foresight to move your car to high ground, but 99.9% of my neighbors did not. And there are other issues to consider. In a flood prone city, you might have a hard time retrieving your car. Not everyone lives in SF, Uber was unavailable for days here. People in Houston NEED their cars. Power could have gone out for weeks (Happened after Hurricane Ike). A car with a "full tank of gas" is a precious commodity at these times. And you probably know the streets of Houston flood WAY before the homes. Many streets are impassable well before water threatens your home.
Screenshot_20170827-161201.png

In any event, I had more important things to worry about. Like making sure myfamily, friends, and neighbors were safe. It's just a car. It's replaceable.

I appreciate the well wishes from many posted here. I am in MUCH better shape than many of my neighbors. My thoughts are with them.

Please note: I went and measured the distance from the ground to the door sill. It was closer to 9 inches not the "6 or 7" inches I wrote as an estimate. I apologize for the innacuracy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170827-161201.png
    Screenshot_20170827-161201.png
    640.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Drove my Dad to Bush Intercontinental Saturday in my wife's SUV and was trapped for a couple hours. Since the car was on the 4th level, I just left it there, and got one of the last taxi cabs to take me back. I moved the Tesla to a nearby office parking structure and biked may way back to the house during a lull in the storm.

As for the SUV, Bush Intercontinental waived parking fees... so that was nice. The IAH airport is probably only an option for nearby communities in North Houston and the Woodlands.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Update: Car towed to Tesla Service Center in Houston - Westchase on Fri September 1. Cost: $195 Tesla Roadside. This is 5 days after the flooding event. Car awaits evaluation by insurance adjuster. Mike with NationWide Wrecker Service did a fantastic job.

Thank you @ericonline for taking the time to post. One of the most infomative posts on the forum, much appreciated. I wish you all the best in drying up and getting all sorted out. Glad to hear not more damage was done.

Well, there is some truth to the comment still. A floor-battery BEV will likely reach critical water levels sooner than an ICE.

Also, there certainly are cars capable of handling water. Land/Range Rovers can even drive in something to the tune of 35 inches. Teslas are not one of those cars.

For people to expect a Tesla to handle water like a Land Rover which was specifically designed for water, is extremely unrealistic.

Exactly. I just watched a video from a fairly popular youtuber about his brand new AMG Mercedes that got totaled because he ran though basically a deep puddle and it hydrolocked his engine.

That reminds me of an incident years ago -- I had a co-worker who had a nice BMW motorcycle. We were in the Washington DC area, which is prone to heavy thunderstorms on summer afternoons from the high heat and humidity. He ran into a storm on his commute home, and tried to ride through a puddle caused by the storm. Mind you, this was a shower from afternoon rain, not a flood, and the road was not closed. Evidently, the water splashing up onto the engine severely damaged it. I don't recall if it was the sudden cooling effect of the water on the exposed engine, or if he got water into the air intake. Either way, it showed the risk of riding through water, even a puddle that looked navigable. He was not a happy camper. (And he was an engineer so it is not as though he was naive about mechanical equipment.)

It always surprises me when I see news clips of vehicles trying, and often succeeding, to drive through flooded streets after a rain storm. People seem to try getting through pretty deep water. Then again, I have been fortunate never to face such a situation -- maybe I would react the same way, hard to know until you have been there, i suppose.

For people to expect a Tesla to handle water like a Land Rover which was specifically designed for water, is extremely unrealistic.

Absolutely! We've bought "Trail Rated" 4x4 Jeeps (XJ Cherokee, TJ Wrangler and 3 WJ Grand Cherokees) for 20 years and they're designed for high water crossings (not submersion) with all intakes "snorkeled" as high as possible... including differential vents using flexible rubber hose to just below the hood (front) and above the gas tank fill (rear). However after every deep water crossing you're recommended to change your differential critical fluids since water and oil don't mix.

Our highly modified Currie Enterprises "rock crawling" 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon on 35" BFG All Terrain tires + 5" lift won't take water into the passenger cab above from the bottom of the door sills until we hit 31" or deeper water (which we have)... and won't ingest water into the air intake, differential vents or flood the engine ECU until we're hit at least 42" deep water.

Grateful indeed with so much unprecedented loss. Appreciate your sharing experience. I'm always touting safety first priority for Tesla. When I read this I'm visualizing car's functionality in submersion scenarios with passengers inside being able to quickly and safely exit vehicle. Especially emergency evac mid flash flooding.

Model S (70 RWD Coil Spring Suspension) flooded in my garage on August 27 in Houston. I thought I'd share details about my experience thus far that may be of interest to the community.

The car ultimately sat in about 22 inches of water (measured from ground), probably 21 near the front and 23 near the back due to incline of garage.

The car became incapacitated when the water level was barely at the front door sills (roughly 6 or 7 inches of water from ground). While trying to move the car I got a warning message about the 12v battery and the car would not shift from Park. At this point I could still open and close the doors as normal.

When the water got higher, somewhere between 10 and 15 inches from ground, the car appeared to go into "Shutdown Mode". A horn like alarm sounded for a while and the car popped into front and rear hatch. Note: The Front Trunk was partially popped open but I couldn't open it fully. The rear hatch was fully unlocked.

When the water rose to its peak level of approx 22 inches from the ground, it stayed near that level for quite a while - about 18 hours before any significant receding of water.

At this point the car was completely unresponsive and my only entry was thru the rear hatch. To enter the rest of the car (aside from breaking window), I would have had to crawl through the hatch - then somehow undo 2 child car seats in order to lower the rear seat rest, then manually unlock the rear passenger doors (via the emergency wire since Child Safety lock was active) or through front doors. Of course while navigating through a dark, wet, and very dirty warm cabin.

In the process of cleaning out my garage and cars the next day, I accidental closed the rear hatch partially and it latched so I could not get back in. (Yes, I felt like an idiot).

Three days after the flood occurred I was able to get a Tesla Roadside Assistance guy to come by and open the driver door manually (Cost $195). From there we opened all the doors and began cleaning. Note: Since the windows cannot lower themselves they get pushed by the chrome trim and won't close as normal subsequently. The windows remain outside the upper chrome trim if you close the door.

I don't think I can open the glovebox or front trunk as they remain locked.

The lower portion of the back trunk held water like a bath tub. Three days after flood it was full of water. See picture of stuff floating in there.

I'm writing this post four days after the flooding event. There is currently no place to send/service the car. The Tesla Service centers remain closed (There are two in Houston). One of the authorized body shops said they'll let Tesla owners store flooded cars with them but they'll just send them to Tesla when they reopen. Frankly not a big deal for me since I suspect my car is a lost cause, but perhaps frustrating for an owner whose car barely flooded.

Just to be clear, I am in no way complaining about my experience here. But I thought some might be interested in what happens when a Model S is exposed to water, and some of the situations an owner with a flooded car may encounter.

Note: I don't have a good picture of full 22 inch submersion since the power went out and the garage was dark at that point.

Assuming this car is totaled there is no doubt we'll be getting at least one more Tesla (I suspect my other car is totaled as well). Either another Model S, Model 3, or both. I sent Elon Musk a message already requesting Expedited Delivery of Model 3s for Reservation Holders with flooded cars. Also, my house and family are fine - just the garage flooded. I feel very lucky.View attachment 244835 View attachment 244836

Um... ALL cars and water do not mix... Come on...

Jeff

I think the Tesla may be a little more allergic than most. Pure speculation on my part though. But I have a Volt I bought in 2011, and I use it as a daily driver. I've driven it through very high water in Houston and had no problems. I dread the day I'm caught in heavy rain in my S. I always drive the Volt if I think it will rain. I've just read too many posts about water in the battery. Also, and this is a weird but true story - in 2013 when I was buying my first S, during one conversation I had with Tesla sales I asked about this (water and the battery). The person on the phone stated rather emphatically that damage to the battery was NOT covered if the car was driven through deep water. I almost didn't buy the car after that, because in Houston driving a car through deep water is a given, if you drive it daily and live here more than a year. At this point I'm more confident in the car and of course we all know Elon's statements about battery warranty, and I don't worry about coverage. But in summary I feel good driving the Volt in deep (10 - 12 ") water, but would avoid it in my S if at all possible. The Volt has done it several times with no ill affects. I don't know if the S could do it.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP