Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience With a Flooded Model S in Houston

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In any event, I had more important things to worry about. Like making sure myfamily, friends, and neighbors were safe. It's just a car. It's replaceable.

I appreciate the well wishes from many posted here. I am in MUCH better shape than many of my neighbors. My thoughts are with them.
Thanks for the update. Glad you and your family/friends are safe. This is far more important than the car.

Please note: I went and measured the distance from the ground to the door sill. It was closer to 9 inches not the "6 or 7" inches I wrote as an estimate. I apologize for the innacuracy.
As I noted previously, eyeing it with possible water distortion and being ~2 inches off really isn't that unusual:
6-7 inches of water isn't even up to the hubs, and The S has 6 inches of ground clearance, so an inch or so above that shouldn't be getting into anything critical. Maybe it was closer to 9 or more inches which would make the pack at least half submerged, which might cause issues.
The numbers are close enough that it's hard to tell. 7 and 9 is only 2 inches off. From a visual look (with the water distorting the measurement a bit) it might not look too different.

And sitting in water is different as others bring up. There is a lot of time for the water to seep into places.

Firstly glad you and your family are safe. Material things are replaceable. Lives are not.

So the Model S is safe to drive through some standing water that might be same level as what is found in the garage of OP?

Model S (70 RWD Coil Spring Suspension) flooded in my garage on August 27 in Houston. I thought I'd share details about my experience thus far that may be of interest to the community.

The car ultimately sat in about 22 inches of water (measured from ground), probably 21 near the front and 23 near the back due to incline of garage.

The car became incapacitated when the water level was barely at the front door sills (roughly 6 or 7 inches of water from ground). While trying to move the car I got a warning message about the 12v battery and the car would not shift from Park. At this point I could still open and close the doors as normal.

When the water got higher, somewhere between 10 and 15 inches from ground, the car appeared to go into "Shutdown Mode". A horn like alarm sounded for a while and the car popped into front and rear hatch. Note: The Front Trunk was partially popped open but I couldn't open it fully. The rear hatch was fully unlocked.

When the water rose to its peak level of approx 22 inches from the ground, it stayed near that level for quite a while - about 18 hours before any significant receding of water.

At this point the car was completely unresponsive and my only entry was thru the rear hatch. To enter the rest of the car (aside from breaking window), I would have had to crawl through the hatch - then somehow undo 2 child car seats in order to lower the rear seat rest, then manually unlock the rear passenger doors (via the emergency wire since Child Safety lock was active) or through front doors. Of course while navigating through a dark, wet, and very dirty warm cabin.

In the process of cleaning out my garage and cars the next day, I accidental closed the rear hatch partially and it latched so I could not get back in. (Yes, I felt like an idiot).

Three days after the flood occurred I was able to get a Tesla Roadside Assistance guy to come by and open the driver door manually (Cost $195). From there we opened all the doors and began cleaning. Note: Since the windows cannot lower themselves they get pushed by the chrome trim and won't close as normal subsequently. The windows remain outside the upper chrome trim if you close the door.

I don't think I can open the glovebox or front trunk as they remain locked.

The lower portion of the back trunk held water like a bath tub. Three days after flood it was full of water. See picture of stuff floating in there.

I'm writing this post four days after the flooding event. There is currently no place to send/service the car. The Tesla Service centers remain closed (There are two in Houston). One of the authorized body shops said they'll let Tesla owners store flooded cars with them but they'll just send them to Tesla when they reopen. Frankly not a big deal for me since I suspect my car is a lost cause, but perhaps frustrating for an owner whose car barely flooded.

Just to be clear, I am in no way complaining about my experience here. But I thought some might be interested in what happens when a Model S is exposed to water, and some of the situations an owner with a flooded car may encounter.

Note: I don't have a good picture of full 22 inch submersion since the power went out and the garage was dark at that point.

Assuming this car is totaled there is no doubt we'll be getting at least one more Tesla (I suspect my other car is totaled as well). Either another Model S, Model 3, or both. I sent Elon Musk a message already requesting Expedited Delivery of Model 3s for Reservation Holders with flooded cars. Also, my house and family are fine - just the garage flooded. I feel very lucky.View attachment 244835 View attachment 244836

Says a guy who drives this through New York (?)

post.PNG

Sorry to hear.

as a thought, next time, buy some jack stands or ramps and maybe jack up car in case of flooding so its off the ground? I know 22" is a lot, but maybe a few concrete blocks etc?

That's actually a good idea. I actually saw a post somewhere else with a picture showing this guy using garden bricks to raise all his bimmers before the flood. The flood water only reached the bottom edge of the rims.

Here's a PSA:

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER USING CINDER BLOCKS to hold a car up.

These are cinder blocks.

A heavy car will pulverize these suddenly and the whole tower will come crashing down onto piles of dust.

Many people die every year thinking these are "cement" and more solid than they really are.

In an emergency, if you do use these, stay the hell away from the car when it's up and never never allow anything to go underneath it.

I'm sure you would have had the foresight to move your car to high ground, but 99.9% of my neighbors did not. And there are other issues to consider. In a flood prone city, you might have a hard time retrieving your car.

This happened to me. Expecting the worst, I left my Roadster high in my office's parking garage 30 miles from home. Kept the S at home, since it's the official family vehicle and is more easily replaceable. By some miracle, the neighborhood didn't flood (despite flooding during the tax day event last year). The area around the office became a lake. Couldn't get to the Roadster for a week.

We went to sleep Sunday night completely dry and no water in sight in a neighborhood that doesn't flood. Woke up surrounded by water 4 feet deep around the house and rising. Water came up almost to the roof line of my S. Didn't recede for four days. Easy to say that you would plan ahead and put your car out of harms way. Not always possible.

Order already in for a P100D. I'm assuming my flooded car is totaled.

We went to sleep Sunday night completely dry and no water in sight in a neighborhood that doesn't flood. Woke up surrounded by water 4 feet deep around the house and rising. Water came up almost to the roof line of my S. Didn't recede for four days. Easy to say that you would plan ahead and put your car out of harms way. Not always possible.

Order already in for a P100D. I'm assuming my flooded car is totaled.
Engineer Phill on this site has refurb'ed a savaged Tesla or 2 in his day - looks like he'll have his pick of the litter soon.

Here's a PSA:

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER USING CINDER BLOCKS to hold a car up.

These are cinder blocks.

A heavy car will pulverize these suddenly and the whole tower will come crashing down onto piles of dust.

Many people die every year thinking these are "cement" and more solid than they really are.

In an emergency, if you do use these, stay the hell away from the car when it's up and never never allow anything to go underneath it.

Good point and important to remember!

Best bet (imho) is wood blocks.

Do you have air suspension? If so, did you set it to 'Very high' while you still had power?
Assume you would have if you have, but maybe it wasn't high on your mind when the flood was pouring in.
Might be worth mentioning to others at least... May not have been enough, but assume you would want to make the car body as high as you can!

Be good to raise on something, but who has something suitable to drive on in their garage... or source at short, emergency notice...

Great to read about your experience though - thanks for posting. I'll be that much more caution where I park re flooding in future!

Model S (70 RWD Coil Spring Suspension) flooded in my garage on August 27 in Houston. I thought I'd share details about my experience thus far that may be of interest to the community.

The car ultimately sat in about 22 inches of water (measured from ground), probably 21 near the front and 23 near the back due to incline of garage.

The car became incapacitated when the water level was barely at the front door sills (roughly 6 or 7 inches of water from ground). While trying to move the car I got a warning message about the 12v battery and the car would not shift from Park. At this point I could still open and close the doors as normal.

When the water got higher, somewhere between 10 and 15 inches from ground, the car appeared to go into "Shutdown Mode". A horn like alarm sounded for a while and the car popped into front and rear hatch. Note: The Front Trunk was partially popped open but I couldn't open it fully. The rear hatch was fully unlocked.

When the water rose to its peak level of approx 22 inches from the ground, it stayed near that level for quite a while - about 18 hours before any significant receding of water.

At this point the car was completely unresponsive and my only entry was thru the rear hatch. To enter the rest of the car (aside from breaking window), I would have had to crawl through the hatch - then somehow undo 2 child car seats in order to lower the rear seat rest, then manually unlock the rear passenger doors (via the emergency wire since Child Safety lock was active) or through front doors. Of course while navigating through a dark, wet, and very dirty warm cabin.

In the process of cleaning out my garage and cars the next day, I accidental closed the rear hatch partially and it latched so I could not get back in. (Yes, I felt like an idiot).

Three days after the flood occurred I was able to get a Tesla Roadside Assistance guy to come by and open the driver door manually (Cost $195). From there we opened all the doors and began cleaning. Note: Since the windows cannot lower themselves they get pushed by the chrome trim and won't close as normal subsequently. The windows remain outside the upper chrome trim if you close the door.

The lower portion of the back trunk held water like a bath tub. Three days after flood it was full of water. See picture of stuff floating in there.

I'm writing this post four days after the flooding event. There is currently no place to send/service the car. The Tesla Service centers remain closed (There are two in Houston). One of the authorized body shops said they'll let Tesla owners store flooded cars with them but they'll just send them to Tesla when they reopen. Frankly not a big deal for me since I suspect my car is a lost cause, but perhaps frustrating for an owner whose car barely flooded.

Just to be clear, I am in no way complaining about my experience here. But I thought some might be interested in what happens when a Model S is exposed to water, and some of the situations an owner with a flooded car may encounter.

Note: I don't have a good picture of full 22 inch submersion since the power went out and the garage was dark at that point.

Assuming this car is totaled there is no doubt we'll be getting at least one more Tesla (I suspect my other car is totaled as well). Either another Model S, Model 3, or both. I sent Elon Musk a message already requesting Expedited Delivery of Model 3s for Reservation Holders with flooded cars. Also, my house and family are fine - just the garage flooded. I feel very lucky.View attachment 244835 View attachment 244836
T