Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with AP2 vs AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently had my car in for the 37,500 mile service and got a brand new (24 miles on odometer) 75D Loaner with AP2 hardware.

First thing I noticed was that for about the first 100 miles it would not allow me to use both the autopilot as well as cruise control with the message that it was calibrating the cameras (when I got my car it did not have this calibration required for the cruise portion and I had gotten it before the autopilot 1 hardware was activated over OTA update).

After the cameras were calibrated both the TACC and autopilot 2 became available.

One thing I noticed was that AP2 seemed to have a longer trailing distance from the vehicle ahead for the same setting in AP1 (I typically have used trailing length 1 in my car, in this car it seemed that the 1 setting was more equivalent to a trailing length 3 setting in my car).

When using the turn signal while on Autopilot the car made a sharper change into the adjacent lane (honestly I think I prefer AP1 over this which is a smoother/more gradual shift to the next lane).

At the time of the loaner the newest update which touted smoother algorithm for AP2 was available and I presumed equipped in this car. I would say it was very similar to AP1 in this respect of staying in center of the lane.

I did not try the other features for comparison like parallel/perpendicular parking so have no comments on this.

The lane change on AP2 is really aggressive compared to AP1. I prefer AP1 gradual lane change.

During our long 3,000 mile road trip last month AP2 braked while approaching a a few overpasses, phantom braked 4 times at 75 MPH, which was very dangerous as cars behind me had to brake to avoid me. My opinion is we are 8-12 months away from AP2 being superior to AP1. I hope they can release it before then, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: oktane
By any chance did you get to use it at high speed on any tighter curves. I last test drove an AP1 and had a heck of a time coming into a curve merging to another freeway at 60mph.

Unfortunately the roads I traveled weren't too challenging for either system. I do think on local roads in current state AP1 I felt handled better, in some cases AP2 wouldn't allow me to go over the typical 5 mph speed limit on local roads that AP1 usually allows me to do. Also hard to explain it but I didn't trust AP2 as much on the local roads, felt like it veered a little more than I was used to.