Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with buying an inventory car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the market for a Model S for a few months. I kept going back and forth from buying used or buying new. S60 vs S85 vs P85. Textile vs leather. Solid roof vs Pano...(I have never used my sunroof on any of my cars)....black vs white...coil vs air....cash or finance

I was also interested in several cars for sale on here as well. Got very close to buying a S85 from the East Coast. Buying used however, you do not qualify for any tax benefits. Here in CA it is 10K (7.5K Fed +2.5K State). I had to figure this with shipping as well and every time someone was always willing to pay more than what I was willing to offer.

This is the deal I got for an inventory car. I pick up next week. I hope it'll help someone who might be on the fence and also provide someone with an alternative they never considered. If you are open to colors and options and don't mind some extra mileage then buying an inventory car might be the way to go. For those that don't know: an inventory car includes showroom, demo and loaner vehicles for sale and is available immediately. The down side obviously is that you get what you get. Usually these are P85s that are well equipped. Sometimes you might find a S85.

I asked for both a S85 and P85 in black or white. The options I had to have was tech, 19" rims and tires and rear seats. I didn't care about anything else although I did prefer coils over air.

The S85s go fast and the ones available were hardly discounted at all since they were brand new. At most 1-2k discount. One was no discount but was available now.

I found a Silver P85 with 7k miles. Fully loaded including performance leather, rear seats, twin chargers, 21"s, everything except pano roof. MSRP 109k discount 14.5k. Sale price 94.5K. Tax deductions 10K. Final 84.5K (of course I still have to pay tax and license on top of that).

The beauty of buying an inventory car is that if it was manufactured before 8/13 price hike then you would get premium lighting, leather, alcantara, extended leather and fog lights as stock options and rear seats, sound for about 1k less than today. If this car is built today it will cost more than 117K but you do get new options like parking sensors which I wanted but was told it can't be retrofitted due to costs to Tesla. They were offering it in the beginning but now have discontinued. I honestly think all luxury vehicles should come with parking sensors and blind spot monitoring as standard.

I was waiting to jump on this car but couldn't reserve until this week. I didn't want to take delivery this year since I want my tax benefits for next year. Sadly, this car was sold. =(

So this is the car I ended up with. P85 fully loaded including pano roof, twin chargers, 21", performance leather with 3.5k miles. MSRP 110-2250 credit for coils. MSRP 108K discount 10k. Sale price 98k-10k tax benefits=88k for a P85. This is the price of a S85 new depending on options. If you get a S85 fully equipped it gets to 100k very easily.

No wait, warranty starts on the day I pick up, qualify for tax benefits, discounted and about the same price for a S85. I am a happy camper although I'm trying to swap my 21" for 19" at the moment and I didn't end up with either black or white. Can't win them all. Msrp today would be 119,220. 21k savings + tax benefits.

I have heard about someone who found a car with 16k discount and Tesla gave them credit for swapping 21" and rear seats. Overall got the car for around 25k discount without the tax benefits included. This was an insane deal. Around 7k better than mine although I'm sure this one had higher mileage.

Good luck everyone if you are in the market for an inventory car. They do go quick. I hope you found this helpful. Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new ride! I ran the same route and love it. Was going to try to do the pick up at the factory thing until they explained that I would need to pay Calif sales tax. So we bought the local car we test test drove. Just like you it was a much cheaper deal, got things I would not have ordered, and it was much faster. Great experience.

I took delivery of a P85+ inventory car yesterday.

Every single option (except parking sensors and red calipers), arrived within 1 week (from Fremont, CA) and got a smokin' deal (~ $25k off price on website).

Couldn't be happier.

Smoking deal...what was the mileage?

5200 miles.

Here is the full spec if interested:

P85+
Black Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Silver Turbines
Black Performance Leather Seats
Obeche Wood Matte
Matching Yacht Floor
Performance Plus Package
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
High Power Wall Charger
Twin Chargers
Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package
Smart Air Suspension
Fog Lamps
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Extended Nappa Leather Trim
Alcantara Headliner
Rear Facing Seats
Premium Interior Lighting

Price on Website Today: $129,570

Price I was able to get this vehicle for: $105,611

I had initially confirmed my order in october but told them to postpone it till later on. I finally told Tesla to get my car in production end of November and was told the wait would be till late Feb. I said OK. Being impatient and wanting my car fast, I decided to call my local sales rep and asked him if they had anything similar in configuration that was a demo. He looked up while I was on phone and said they had a demo car at the factory with almost similar config and with 185 miles. I decided to jump on it and am waiting to pick it up. I was scheduled for pick up tomorrow but got a call saying car isn't ready and will now be picking it up on Monday. Can't wait!

I also bought a loaner/demo

MSRP approx $106k got $12k off so after discount price was $94k. For me the savings meant getting a demo/loaner P85 instead of a new S85. After 2 weeks I have zero regrets absolutely love the car and glad I purchased a P85.

Process: I went into my local tesla store and sat with the rep and went car by car in inventory in their system. They have this info online and can screen depending on options. Be warned they sell fast. I was considering a local demo P85. They would not hold it as they said they sell fast and do not hold demos. I said let me go home run the numbers to see if it makes sense. Got a call in 15 minutes the car sold. They found a better demo for me, had almost all the options I wanted and I jumped on it.

For the negatives: back tires about half worn, some wear on the black nappa leather seat and bolsters, some minor road rash on paint. I figured my cost was $500 for wear of the tires. FYI, i had them rotate tires and realign which they did at no extra cost. I had a local guy touch up and paint the worn spots on the leather for $100 looks brand new. Happy to send before and after pics. Costs are a no brainier given the $12k savings.

I'm very very happy I bought a demo.

I am very interested in this as well, would appreciate any information on finding inventory cars for sale.

Is it simply placing a call to Tesla orders dept under contact on their website?

Thank you!

Yeah just contact your local Tesla showroom and let the rep know you are interested in an inventory car. Tell them your colors and options and they will find cars for you. They do go quick and in my case I had to pick up the car within 7 days of reservation. It'll be a good idea to set up financing beforehand. If you are financing, Alliant Credit Union is doing 1.49% for up to 72 months with 100 cash bonus. All you have to do is donate $10 to their charity and you can become a member. If you wait too long the car will sell so make sure you know what you want and be ready to buy. The 2500 deposit is not refundable on inventory cars. They also recondition the car before you pick up.

Cars usually have a 1% discount for every month in service and $1 for every mile after 50. You should shoot for around 20-25k discount from ordering online. Good luck!