Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snerruc

Unqualified Doofus
Apr 16, 2016
Palm Bay
I came back from a trip to discover my S had downloaded FSD. I checked the boxes and nothing happened. Assumed I had made a mistake. Drove for a few days and 150 or so miles and when turning the corner the FSD visulation popped up. Today I decided to try it on a very simple trip. It ran through a big flashing warning sign for a curve, made a right turn by swerving into the bike lane, slamming on the brakes, and turning at about 20 mph. Then it ran a school sign and in a curve started screaming take over immediately as it shut off. Total drive less than 4miles. So, I put it in chill and set speed offset to negative 5 and tried again. Sitting in a right turn lane stopped, with nav clearly showing the turn, the car yanked the wheel violently back and forth and shut down. Trip 0 feet. One more time, going straight in a 35 zone the car needed to make a right turn using a turn lane. It entered the lane, but didn’t turn on the signal, then it quit. Trip a quarter mile. How you guys are surviving this, I don’t know.

Reactions: Jane4
Check your GPS. When you're on a road, at a red light, zoom in on the map as close as you can to your car. Is your car where it should be, in the middle of the road exactly where it really is? If it's off even a little it can cause all sorts of problems like you listed above.

Edit: Also check GPS while FSD is enabled. There are issues with some cabin cameras (which are enabled when FSD is enabled) where they are not shielded correctly and interfere with the GPS antenna in the same housing.

Also - make sure your cameras are calibrated properly and the cameras are clean. If you still experience issues after confirming your GPS is accurate, your cameras are calibrated and clean, then try the following:

When the car screams for you take over or FSD just shuts down, immediately press the voice button and say "bug report". Note the date/time you did that and open a service ticket with Tesla and let the know everything happening, and give them the date/time you noted for the report. They may find a problem with some hardware on your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmiller07
Check your GPS. When you're on a road, at a red light, zoom in on the map as close as you can to your car. Is your car where it should be, in the middle of the road exactly where it really is? If it's off even a little it can cause all sorts of problems like you listed above.
At this point, Teslas problem. They sold it, they fix it or I sue in small claims court. Filing a ticket.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
At this point, Teslas problem. They sold it, they fix it or I sue in small claims court. Filing a ticket.
Right, but you need to let them know you're having a problem and confirm what's happening. Run through a few diagnostics to isolate where the problem is coming from and open a ticket with them to solve it for you. Just like any other car you bought in your life - something goes wrong, and you take it to service to fix.

I think some folks will soon arrive to the thread to explain to you that you dont have FSD BETA, which is single stack, dojo, AI, and other stuff that makes it far superior that what you currently have. So its actually your fault all of that occurred.
(moderator edit) I'm trying to help the guy isolate where the problem could be and try to get it fixed with service. Your negative attitude is not helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, I opened a ticket. Nav on Autopilot we orks normally. Actually, current software is an update on the first update. Both came in while I was gone. Nav said I was 50 feet from the corner, which was right. Ball is in their court. I suppose they will query the car and go from there. I am a little irritated that after $10,000 and 3+ years, this is what I get. Thanks for the suggestion. Oh, and thanks 2101, I always enjoy finding out I’m not the dumbest person in the room.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
Wit no intention to be negative, my understanding of full self driving, as well as the basic Autosteer, is it is only for use on limited access highways. That is, unless you have the beta version that is for city driving. At least that's how I use it. Am I mistaken?

Wit no intention to be negative, my understanding of full self driving, as well as the basic Autosteer, is it is only for use on limited access highways. That is, unless you have the beta version that is for city driving. At least that's how I use it. Am I mistaken?
AutoPilot can be used every where. Before Tesla I have been using Open Pilot. My driving is now on AP type technologies. It drives most of the time, except for turns, which you have to negotiate yourself. Tesla also has Navigate On Autopilot which will take you from one city to another negotiating all exits l, highway interchanges and lane changes. That is more like limited access highway.

As I said, I opened a ticket. Nav on Autopilot we orks normally. Actually, current software is an update on the first update. Both came in while I was gone. Nav said I was 50 feet from the corner, which was right. Ball is in their court. I suppose they will query the car and go from there. I am a little irritated that after $10,000 and 3+ years, this is what I get. Thanks for the suggestion. Oh, and thanks 2101, I always enjoy finding out I’m not the dumbest person in the room.
Have you driven on Navigate On Autopilot for more than 20 minutes? I am seeing the same issue, albeit after 10 or 20 minutes of driving. It is always at 10 or 20 minute mark. It’d suddenly kick you out without warning.

Have you driven on Navigate On Autopilot for more than 20 minutes? I am seeing the same issue, albeit after 10 or 20 minutes of driving. It is always at 10 or 20 minute mark. It’d suddenly kick you out without warning.
Yup. It’s been doing better. Not as many slowdowns for no reason. Still can’t trust it on passing as if you’re pulling out to pass at 70 and the upcoming car in the passing lane is doing 100, the car simply can’t see far enough back. Will find out something on the 11th.

It literally is called FSD BETA. Good with that.
FYI there already is a class action suit against them. Next problem is the app. It’s great to make an appointment, but if you have something not on their buttons, it’s just about useless—- and half the buttons don’t work. I assumed I had bad copy and downloaded a new one . Same result. Going to drop bye and talk to someone there. The people are nice.

FYI there already is a class action suit against them. Next problem is the app. It’s great to make an appointment, but if you have something not on their buttons, it’s just about useless—- and half the buttons don’t work. I assumed I had bad copy and downloaded a new one . Same result. Going to drop bye and talk to someone there. The people are nice.

There's a class action suit against every manufacturer. Doesn't seem to change anything.