Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with Model 3 Autopilot so far.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the car for about one month now, but not really used autopilot. Yesterday I drove to Niagara Falls for a one day trip , and heavy traffic jam on QEW while coming back. Here is some of my taking on autopilot.
  1. While driving on 407 etr, autopilot works perfectly. I now know how to tweak the steeling wheel a bit to avoid the nagging.
  2. While on QEW on the way to Niagara Falls, no traffic jam but many vehicles. Specailly so many big trucks. I feel the autopilot was too close to the big trucks. I was trying manually move a bit away, but I have to put a bit strength to the steeling wheel for the autopilot to be canceled. That causes too much strength on the steeling wheel and the car suddenly moved too much. I was a bit shocked. Perhaps I should press the brake and cancel autopilot, before I take back the control .
  3. When I came back from Niagara fall, a heavy traffic jam. I feel so relaxed using autopilot, because I don’t need move my feet between brake and acc. Also while less than 10km/hr , there will be no worning even if not putting hand on the steeling wheel.
  4. Don’t try to use autopilot in a sharp turn and relative fast local road. I was trying use it on rodick road the section just pass the highway 7 towards 16th. The autopilot keep speed 50kms and almost drove itself onto the curbs. Luckily I took back the control on time. Otherwise there will be a disaster.

4. AP's still learning, doubt local road navigation will be good until 1000000000 hours of data is gathered by observing regular driver / machine behavior. In addition to 360 cameras recognizing traffic signs, right of way, other non vehicle road users. FSD will be years away (especially with regulators).

Here are some more tips for you:
- Only use autopilot on freeway or highway where you follow another vehicle (so it stops at intersection or traffic light when the other car stops or slow down)
- Autopilot will work the best if your vehicle is between cars (better and safer than next to barrier walls or guide rail)
- Dont use auto pilot at on right lane at transfer or exit because it can be confused with pavement marking
- Be careful when using autopilot on shaft curve because the speed will not reduced
- To cancel autopilot, using the switch is much better than the brake or wheel
- When driving without autopilot, try to keep your vehicle in the centre of the lane, so your vehicle can learn where it should be between the lane marking and your autopilot adjust the distance between your car and vehicles in the others lane.

I normally use autopilot on freeway (no shaft curve) and cruise control on highway (follow another vehicle).

I use Autopilot daily on the 404/DVP/401. It really makes the drive more bearable, however there is one major issue. It really needs a "Account for Toronto Drivers" mode. 1 car length space just invites 3 people to cut in front, forcing me to disengage. It really needs a setting lower than 1 car length during slower bumper to bumper traffic.

Couldn't agree more. Needs to be much more aggressive to actually 'drive'. That's why I was a little excited to see the 'Mad Max' mode that Elon tweeted about this week. Seems he's one step ahead of us again.

Couldn't agree more. Needs to be much more aggressive to actually 'drive'. That's why I was a little excited to see the 'Mad Max' mode that Elon tweeted about this week. Seems he's one step ahead of us again.

I hope Mad Max is aggressive enough for Toronto.
I've driven in LA and NYC. To drive in Toronto or Montreal it's the next level of madness, so hopefully will be appropriate for us.

Here are some more tips for you:
- Only use autopilot on freeway or highway where you follow another vehicle (so it stops at intersection or traffic light when the other car stops or slow down)
- Autopilot will work the best if your vehicle is between cars (better and safer than next to barrier walls or guide rail)
- Dont use auto pilot at on right lane at transfer or exit because it can be confused with pavement marking
- Be careful when using autopilot on shaft curve because the speed will not reduced
- To cancel autopilot, using the switch is much better than the brake or wheel
- When driving without autopilot, try to keep your vehicle in the centre of the lane, so your vehicle can learn where it should be between the lane marking and your autopilot adjust the distance between your car and vehicles in the others lane.

I normally use autopilot on freeway (no shaft curve) and cruise control on highway (follow another vehicle).

What you mean by using switch to cancel AP? Thanks

I've been driving on the 407 and find in the mornings driving eastbound the sun's glare is so bright that AP has trouble picking up lane markings and wont perform an autolane change. This morning the drive was overcast and it changed lanes beautifully.

Keeping my left hand at the 7 o'clock position all the time cancels out the autopilot hand warnings. When i tried keeping them at 9 and 3 o'clock like I normally drive, the hand warning would come up frequently.

I'm using TACC for the majority of my non highway driving now and AP for the majority of my 400 series driving.

S
I've been driving on the 407 and find in the mornings driving eastbound the sun's glare is so bright that AP has trouble picking up lane markings and wont perform an autolane change. This morning the drive was overcast and it changed lanes beautifully.

Keeping my left hand at the 7 o'clock position all the time cancels out the autopilot hand warnings. When i tried keeping them at 9 and 3 o'clock like I normally drive, the hand warning would come up frequently.

I'm using TACC for the majority of my non highway driving now and AP for the majority of my 400 series driving.
Speaking of - the auto lane change is super cautious. It feels like it needs 2 car lengths ahead and behind.

I find I only use it on the freeways, and its the best in stop and go traffic.

I just used AP on the DVP to the Lawrence Tesla Shop. I noticed the ramp at the end of the DVP (turns on the Gardiner) it didnt slow down. Full tilt 90kph on that curve was a little sketchy.

Also noticed there was a moment I was on the Gardiner and it must of assumed I was on lake shore underneath so it slowed right down from 100km/h to 40!

FSD is years away for sure.

I have mixed feelings about the auto pilot.

Great in stop and go traffic in Ottawa. Drivers here are timid compared to my Montreal driving so the space isn’t much of an issue. I just nudge ahead early with the accelerator instead of disengaging.

Not a big fan of the auto lane changing. Slow to react and too often I let the signal slip off before the lane change is committed so the car swerves hard back to the original lane. Also, the extensive tar patching along the center lines frequently confuses the sensor into thinking the dashed line is actually solid.

Highway is pretty solid. Easy enough to keep enough weight on the wheel to appease the nag in the box.

Wish there was a little less force required to disengage with the steering wheel. The few times I’ve had to take over (texters wandering into my lane, objects or craters on the road) results is some violent corrections.

On a side note, if any Ottawa drivers want a wake up on why you the nag says pay attention; take a drive west on Queen E Drive just before Bronson. Your baby will try to veer left into oncoming traffic.

Drove to New York city and back with autopilot on the whole way. Before I would not want to do a road trip like this. Only a few times I disengaged due to curves in the road I wasn't comfortable with the car doing itself, otherwise all disengagements were because other drivers were making me nervous and not the AP.

I didn't encounter any issues with auto lane change and used it extensively. Very happy overall with money spent on EAP .

My thoughts.

Flip the drive selector up to disengage autopilot vs. jerking the wheel or braking.
Wish it followed closer in stop & go. Drivers behind almost hit me as it leaves a full car length and they dont anticipate that.
Lane changing is grandma slow.... Half the time I get annoyed and disengage autopilot and change myself unless the road is totally empty.
@ZooSean please don't use autopilot on Rodick.... I live in Markham and that is just nuts brother. Stick to the highway following a car.

I use Autopilot daily on the 404/DVP/401. It really makes the drive more bearable, however there is one major issue. It really needs a "Account for Toronto Drivers" mode. 1 car length space just invites 3 people to cut in front, forcing me to disengage. It really needs a setting lower than 1 car length during slower bumper to bumper traffic.

I use it everyday for my commute on 417 & 174 in Ottawa, it works great, although I agree that the "1" spacing is too long when moving below 10-20km/hr, everybody cuts in front of me... I used to care when people did that, now I jut try to enjoy the scenery and look at the dreadful forward stare of other drivers in the commute