Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience with purchasing a CPO Model 3 from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I sold my SR+ a few months ago, I've been itching to get into a LR AWD/Performance model 3. After quite a bit of searching, I found that the Tesla CPO cars seemed to be actually pretty well priced if you consider that they come with FSD and Acceleration Boost. I found a LR AWD Model 3 with 9000 miles for $43k. Anywhere else I looked, people were asking at least 45k for a DM with FSD. Alternatively, a LR AWD without autopilot or anything was going for around 40-41k. So looks like with the CPO, you could get an extra year of warranty, accel boost, and FSD for about $2k.

Now I have to say, I was a little worried about the fact that there are no pictures of the car, and the used car sales advisors can't even give you any clue to the condition or anything, and the $500 deposit is nonrefundable. But with a clean carfax/autocheck and only 9000 miles, I decided to press forward, knowing that i will have to throw away my $500 if it doesn't work out.

In the past I have taken NEW delivery of 2 Model 3s and a model Y, and the delivery experience was less than great. My 2019 SR+ was solid black and looked like it was driven through a gravel cloud on delivery and was covered in microscratches. My dad's 2018 LR RWD had two paint chips on the driver door, and later when replaced with 2021 Model Y, had mis-aligned passenger door that wouldn't close properly, center console lid wouldn't close properly, and the alignment was totally off and wouldn't steer straight. Of course they don't let you test drive the cars you're about to buy, so you have no idea. The delivery advisor was even quite rude when i said i wanted to inspect the car prior to signing the purchase agreement and paying the down payment.

Fast forward to delivery day for my CPO Model 3, I was absolutely stunned by the condition of car, it looked better than some of the new cars i've taken delivery of. In addition, the delivery advisor was really easy to work with, when i arrived, he said feel free to spend as much time as you want checking out the car, turns out this one had a full clear bra installed by the previous owner, so score! No curb rash, so scratches, no dings. I have to say, I am very pleased with my delivery, and man that Accel Boost is quick!

I made a profile just to respond on this thread. So hello everyone!

My experience is very similar to the OP's. While I was a little annoyed that Tesla stopped shipping used vehicles (I live over 300 miles from a delivery center) a one way flight wasn't all that expensive. I was also nervous about all the money I put down for a vehicle I didn't even have a picture of. Once I got to the delivery center I knew exactly which car was mine and it looked beautiful! I would upload an image but Im getting an error. Overall, I would put my buying experience at an 8/10! I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

My dad's 2018 LR RWD had two paint chips on the driver door, and later when replaced with 2021 Model Y, had mis-aligned passenger door that wouldn't close properly, center console lid wouldn't close properly, and the alignment was totally off and wouldn't steer straight.

wow a 2021 Y still shows up with issues like that??? absolutely wretched. Its been almost a year of Model Y production and seems like I still see new ones being delivered with misaligned rear seats. boo

I was set to pick up a model 3 next week but then the SR Y came out so I switched.. and honestly one of the reasons I had decided to go with the 3 instead was because the last 2 model 3s my wife has owned were completely issue free. Maybe too anecdotally I was assuming that a 3 is a better bet than a Y. Its sad to think that one model of car is less likely to have defects than another.

turns out this one had a full clear bra installed by the previous owner, so score!

Just curious, did the original listing for the car indicate that it had a full clear bra or PPF installed by the previous owner? My P3D has full PPF and was curious if Tesla advertises this when selling their used cars. I wonder if Tesla might offer me a bit more for a car with PPF when it is time to trade it in and upgrade.

Bah... Darnit, Elon! Get the QA up on the new cars!!!

I feel a rant coming on... sorry about that...

Disclaimer: I'm a self professed Elon fan boi. I love my Model 3 so much, that the very next day after delivery, I sunk a bunch of money into purchasing TSLA stock that I still hold. So yes, I'm as big of a fan boi as you can get. And as fan bois, we owe it to ourselves and our beloved company to call them out on their shortcomings, especially ones that can have a significant impact on the company, and even more so on their customers!

This whole initial quality thing has gone on long enough. Tesla is no longer a fledgling company trying to figure out how to piece a car together. That being the case, there is just no longer any excuse for QA issues on cars coming off of the assembly line!

We need Elon to put his big brain on this issue, and we need him to do it fast. Once a company has been stereotyped as putting out sub-par products, it is very hard to convince the average consumer that things have changed for the better. Right now, there are just way too many complaints about how poorly put together new Teslas are.

Stop being distracted by too many things for just a few days, Elon, and get this problem fixed!

It's a sad day indeed when CPO cars have fewer issues than cars coming off of the assembly line.

Rant mode off.... my apologies.

OP, congrats on the car! :)

Reactions: momo3605
Also purchased used from Tesla and everything was perfect. It was a year old and had 4.5k miles on it, and only noticed a few micro scratches on the hood months afterwards but no paint chips or curb rash on the wheels. I’ve had some issues with rattles due to it being early VIN but it was in great shape when I picked it up.

• Informative
Reactions: momo3605 and Dre78
I’m glad to hear that people are having good experiences with CPO Tesla purchases. But for me personally, I would never give Tesla a $500 non-refundable deposit on a car that I can not look at, see pictures of, or even get a verbal description of the condition of the car prior to giving them my deposit.

I am glad the OP and others in this thread have had good experiences, but I dont think tesla sells "CPOs" any longer.. CPO stands for "certified Pre owned" and in general usually means the company has (or is supposed to) go over the car so it meets "some standard".

Tesla is selling used cars, not Certified pre owned cars. I dont think tesla even has a CPO program any longer.

I am glad the OP and others in this thread have had good experiences, but I dont think tesla sells "CPOs" any longer.. CPO stands for "certified Pre owned" and in general usually means the company has (or is supposed to) go over the car so it meets "some standard".

Tesla is selling used cars, not Certified pre owned cars. I dont think tesla even has a CPO program any longer.

I think it is. The used car advisor said that they repair scratches and dings over a certain size, tires have to be newer than 60% and they do a “145 point inspection”. I think that’s exactly what any other CPO manufacturers claim

I’m glad to hear that people are having good experiences with CPO Tesla purchases. But for me personally, I would never give Tesla a $500 non-refundable deposit on a car that I can not look at, see pictures of, or even get a verbal description of the condition of the car prior to giving them my deposit.

yes agree. That’s why I’m hesitant to really recommend it to anyone based on my experience. More just to be informative. I figured I’ve blown more than $500 messing around with stocks haha, so i was willing to take the risk for a potentially good deal.