Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with Solar in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
For those in NJ that are interested in going solar but not sure if it's worth it here are my numbers and hope it helps.

My system consist of 29 panels and can generate ~10,500 kWh a year. System turned on Jan 14, 2018. Total kWh used for 2018 is 12,701. Total cost of electricity $843 and total SREC received ~$2,100. I'm also locked in for 15 years for the SREC program. My system cost ~$20K after federal rebate. For me this makes total sense and the system pays for itself!

Last edited:
I got solar last year and my numbers are very similar to ckwong. The system should pay for itself in about 4 years!

I went with a local company, Impact Solar, who were great. I didn't do Tesla/Solarcity because I couldn't stand the ultra-pushy sales tactics that Solarcity used to do at Home Depot.

I received 4 different quotes including Tesla/Solarcity but end up going with Green Power Energy. Tesla prices came out the most and I try to negotiate with them but they wouldn't budge. After signing the contract with Green the sales guy called me back and said his manager was willing to work out a deal...a little too late! But the sales guy was not pushy at all and very professional.

I was thinking of doing solar this year (as I hear it's the last year for the fed rebate), but I have a tile roof, and would like to keep it looking like that. Sadly that only leaves me with Tesla roof tiles, which I hear are hard to come by, as well as being first-generation tech (not to mention wildly pricey).

I'm still very interested in solar, but I feel kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with it.

I've been lurking this forum for a bit. After seeing this thread, I decided to finally join to voice my complaint about Tesla solar. When I initially talked to the sales person in Vegas, I specifically ask for Panasonic panels, yet in the first quote I was still given panels of unknown origin. When I pressed the issue, I was told the panel I requested was sold out o_O I stated that it was a requirement and they finally worked up a second quote with Panasonic panels. Their sales tactics plus the horrific reviews on solarreview lead me to stay away from Tesla, which is unfortunate as I would've loved the single app to monitor my solar system and my car.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
You have to read the contract, I mean the fine print. Some contracts make the current owner pay for the system. Others will just let the new owner pick up the old contract. Make sure that you do not wave any roof warranties in the transfer. Way back the cost of a KW was $10,000.00 so a 10KW system would cost you $100,000.00. The system would never pay for itself. The coast today for a 10 KW system
is mourned $35,000.00. If you are consuming $400.00 per month buy the system, if your using $125.00 a month think about it.

Please don't let the sales rep tell you that it's OK to place the collectors on the East and/or West facing roof. Yes you can do it on a very low pitch roof. Just remember you are going to increase the pay back time because of the efficiency of the system.

• Helpful
Reactions: DukeofURL
Another thing about Tesla solar is that you're signing away your SREC to them, even if you're purchasing the system outright as I am. This was shown on both my quotes. Being in NJ this can amount to $20K over the 10yr SREC term for the size of system I'm looking to install. Both quotes came to exactly $3.45 per watt installed. For a 10kW system, accounting for giving your SREC to Tesla, this amounts to $5.45 per watt which is insane.

As I said earlier, the first quote was for panels (305-watts) of unknown origin. The second quote was with Panasonic 330-watts panels and interestingly did not bump the price. Based on my experience, they will try to give you inferior panels if you left it up to them.

One tid-bit of wisdom that I can pass on is, don't buy a solar collector using the energy consumption being use now. First, reduce that consumption. I don't care if it is electricity, gas, oil, wood or what ever. Spend some time on insulating the house, change out light bulbs
etc. If your going to do a rebuild find someone that will design a -0- energy house for you. There are a number of architects that specialize in zero energy houses. Going zero energy will add cost up front but will save you in the long run.

They are qualifying houses here in the DC area for Tesla solar tile roofs.

I know this because I have two reservations for solar tile roofs.

Unfortunately, one of the houses in question doesn't have enough roof area.

The second house in question is still uncertain as they haven't yet been able to loft a drone to get a detailed view of the roof. (It requires a special license in some parts of MD/DC to operate a drone due to air space restrictions.)

The staff I've dealt with have mentioned that there is already (at least) one house with a complete solar tile roof in this area.

Alan

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I'm drawn to the Panasonic for the combination of low degradation, efficiency, and resiliency against the elements. The one particular spec I'm most impressed with is the low degradation. At year 25, the Panasonic is rated to still output 90% of its original capability.

Had this been available 20 years ago I would have jumped on it. A 10K system would have cost about $100.000.00 back then.
Today that same system may be $35,000.00 installed. PV has gone form may never break even in your lift time to even in 5 to 7 years.

I still say reduce your energy consumption first and then acquire the right size system. If you have the money to purchase a 10K
solar collection system and take your electric bill to near -0- you don't need a rebait of any kind.

It may be now or never with new SREC registration closing soon in NJ and federal tax credit phase out to begin next year. Those who got in on the 15yr SREC term towards end of last year probably got the best deal. We are definitely leaning towards doing it, with projected breakeven point in 5yrs for the system we're considering. The system I'm considering is 12kW with Panasonic panels at $35k before the 30% federal tax credit.

I do wonder if the prices will plummet once the federal tax credit and SREC programs end, like Tesla has done with Model 3 pricing. It wouldn't surprise me if it does. Any time there's any government incentives the big corporations get a big piece of the pie, and the little guys end up with some crumbs.