Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with Tesla Insurance after destroying my leased Model 3 in a freeway accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@cerealzealot I'm glad you and everyone is ok. I did see the video and yes, you couldn't really avoid it. For those who didn't see, here's my memory of it.

Car traveling behind a pick up of what looks like pretty close. Like a autopilot setting of 3-5(I'm guessing) and the truck sudden cut over to first lane due to a car in front of it looked completely stopped. OP wouldn't have see this. The truck was blocking view and when these situation occurs, you don't have any time.

Did you guys see another accident video from yesterday on reddit how his autopilot suddenly cut over to slower lane to avoid a collision, where the Hyundai behind it (same position as OP in this thread, slams right into the rear of the car in front.)

I was such a young dumb driver for the longest time. But after getting the Tesla, I'm so worry about phantom braking that I try to drive in lanes without many cars in front or behind me.

Wow that video, it's exactly what happened to me (I'm the car crashing, and the Tesla avoiding the stopped car last minute was the pickup in front of me). FSD is incredible.

Reactions: SageBrush
Do you *always* look 5 cars in front of you if any of them are abruptly changing lanes, especially if the car in front of you is absolutely not doing anything?

Yes! The car directly in front of you is generally one of the least important things to keep an eye on, as silly as that sounds. They are going to be the last car to react to anything on the road ahead and really you want to be looking at cars as far ahead as you can. However, this is probably something that comes from experience. I know I have got in several really dumb accidents when i was younger that i would probably never get into after nearly 25 years driving. I'm just lucky I didn't have video evidence and strangers on the internet to pick every mistake apart...

I removed the video before you could see, but the car was already at a stop. The pickup in front of me didn't brake, changed lanes, and left me with the car at a full stop. I didn't see anyone breaking.

See, if people are not being compassionate in their replies, it's because of the type of thing you just wrote. You just wrote the pickup truck "didn't brake", when it clearly braked on the video, then changed lanes. Just because you "didn't see anyone breaking", doesn't mean the pickup driver left you in a lurch. He did brake, you just didn't see it.

And, just to give some background, the OP had a long thread way back when this happened, and he didn't own up to his accident then, nor now. It's why there's a little less sympathy than one would normally expect. The OP kept blaming the pickup.
View attachment 609334
by default 2020-11-17 at 7.29.51 PM.jpg

The pickup truck braked before changing lanes. He had a BMW to his left, so he couldn't change lanes immediately. Look at the Ford Transit van to your right, it's braking. Look at the panel van in front of the Ford Transit van. It's braking. There are vehicles braking all around you, before you can see the stopped car. That should have warned you that something was going on, you have far more time to prepare to slow than you think.

Last edited:
See, if people are not being compassionate in their replies, it's because of the type of thing you just wrote. You just wrote the pickup truck "didn't brake", when it clearly braked on the video, then changed lanes. Just because you "didn't see anyone breaking", doesn't mean the pickup driver left you in a lurch. He did brake, you just didn't see it.

And, just to give some background, the OP had a long thread way back when this happened, and he didn't own up to his accident then, nor now. It's why there's a little less sympathy than one would normally expect. The OP kept blaming the pickup.
View attachment 609334
The pickup truck braked before changing lanes. He had a BMW to his left, so he couldn't change lanes immediately. Look at the Ford Transit van to your right, it's braking. Look at the panel van in front of the Ford Transit van. It's braking. There are vehicles braking all around you, before you can see the stopped car. That should have warned you that something was going on, you have far more time to prepare to slow than you think.

Dude. It braked and changed lane at the same time, I don't call that braking. But fine if you want to feel better: I'm 100% at fault, was too close, didn't see the pickup brake for the .01 sec it did, didn't react as fast as a computer would have, and you would totally would have avoided the crash. Can you stop now?

Interesting. What TACC setting ?

Is TACC the distance between two cars in AP? I believe it was set to either 3 or 4 but can't remember.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Dude. It braked and changed lane at the same time, I don't call that braking. But fine if you want to feel better: I'm 100% at fault, was too close, didn't see the pickup brake for the .01 sec it did, didn't react as fast as a computer would have, and you would totally would have avoided the crash. Can you stop now?

Is TACC the distance between two cars in AP? I believe it was set to either 3 or 4 but can't remember.
LOL, says the guy who states in the first post, that no one was hurt, though he later admits his passengers had broken ribs. I mean, you can make up your own definitions for everything.

Words matter in life. You stated the pickup "didn't brake, changed lanes" placing the blame on the pickup. Now, you're saying it "braked and changed lane at the same time". See, you always spin the story to make it sound like someone else was at fault. Every time. The funny thing is you can clearly see in the image that the pickup braked before it changed lanes. It wasn't at the same time. Are you ever going to tell the truth? As soon as you tell the truth, I'll stop pointing out when you're not. That's a fair deal.

Reactions: ahmadr
No worries. Yes I was probably too close considering a pickup was blocking my view, and that I was heavy. I just wanted to say that I am sure that 99% of people in my situation would have not avoided the crash (considering the same distance, which was the same as everyone on the freeway). I learned the hard way, from now on I will give *much* more distance, and look as far as I can in front of me.

And yes I ordered a new one, the 2021 model. Estimated delivery is between 9th and 23rd December.

That’s why they call them accidents; mistakes happen and if you can use it as a learning experience, awesome. I had an accident many moons ago that was 100% absolutely my fault. I rear ended someone in slow traffic - maybe 10-15mph - because I was too busy dialing my Startac than to watch the road. Was a good lesson - thankfully nobody was hurt, minimal damage, but a good reminder about how quickly things happen - even when you think it's a fairly "safe" environment. It isn't.

I'll postulate that my Tesla actually makes me a better driver. I place my phone on the wireless pad - either in the 3 or the X - and *leave it there*. I don't trust Autopilot or FSD fully - and likely never will - so I'm always attentive while using them. It's still a great driver's aid but frees me up from the mundane to do a better job of checking my surroundings and ensuring my eyes are where they should be rather than, say, checking the speedo.

I learned the hard way, from now on I will give *much* more distance, and look as far as I can in front of me.

And yes I ordered a new one, the 2021 model. Estimated delivery is between 9th and 23rd December.

So - here's a good tip. We have a UPS depot nearby, and they have some great signs posted for the drivers as they leave the yard. It's the 5 points of the Smith System:

1 - Aim high in steering
2 - Get the big picture
3 - Keep your eyes moving
4 - Leave yourself an out
5 - Make sure they see you

Here's some good quick reads on the Smith System:
The Five Keys of Safe Driving
The Smith5Keys® -

As I mentioned, my dad's held a commercial license since... well, since CDLs became a thing. Taking driving lessons from him baked these rules into my conscience -- whenever I find myself distracted, I just think "What would a professional driver do?"

So now - congratulations on the new vehicle! All things considered, you made out well. You're going to have a shiny new Model 3 with all the trimmings .... no better car on the market!

I will speculate that the vehicle that avoided a crash changed lanes without looking first. It happened too fast.

... Situational awareness will allow for that. See points 3 and 4 above. Constantly scanning, keeping awareness of what's going on around you and leaving yourself an out helps minimize the risk.

LOL, says the guy who states in the first post, that no one was hurt, though he later admits his passengers had broken ribs. I mean, you can make up your own definitions for everything.

Words matter in life. You stated the pickup "didn't brake, changed lanes" placing the blame on the pickup. Now, you're saying it "braked and changed lane at the same time". See, you always spin the story to make it sound like someone else was at fault. Every time. The funny thing is you can clearly see in the image that the pickup braked before it changed lanes. It wasn't at the same time. Are you ever going to tell the truth? As soon as you tell the truth, I'll stop pointing out when you're not. That's a fair deal.

Jesus Christ. You must be so incredibly annoying in life.

Braking and turning at the same time is not braking to notify me there's danger, I don't call that braking, stop playing on words. As for my friends, I think I know better how they are doing? I said no one injured because no one went to the hospital up until 4 days later, everyone was fine after the crash. Pain came afterwards, they were totally fine a week later, thank you for your concern.

That'll be my last reply to you.

• Funny
Reactions: Fernand and KenC
I rarely use autopilot because when I do I find that it follows the car in front of me too closely even at the highest setting. I like to ease into a stop when I’m approaching traffic, and autopilot tends to be a bit too confident in its ability to stop for my taste. Even worse, it has no concern whatsoever about driving in another car’s blind spot, something I would never feel comfortable doing on LA freeways. Too many distracted drivers out there texting and driving.

As for Tesla insurance, I looked at them but did not want to be one of their first customers. It’s not like Tesla has a stellar reputation for customer service, and when you are buying insurance, customer service is exactly what you are paying for. If you don’t have an accident you don’t need anything from them. But if you do, you want a highly responsive company tending to your needs. It’s good to hear they offered you a fair settlement though.

I don’t get why so many people are attacking the OP here. It was an accident, end of story. Glad everyone was OK. Fractured ribs is a pretty serious thing.

... Situational awareness will allow for that. See points 3 and 4 above. Constantly scanning, keeping awareness of what's going on around you and leaving yourself an out helps minimize the risk.
True enough, but I cannot count the times a car has swerved out of its lane into my lane to avoid a collision, forcing me to act to avoid hitting them.

They did not have 'situational awareness,' they were lucky

I didn't see the video, but like other said this was an accident. You wasn't doing anything stupid, but I hope you learned a lesson.

Time your follow distance to give you room to brake. Most people drive too close. From the screen shot that was cropped above, I only saw 3 white dashes. That's way too close.

Pay attention. When someone swerves, just start braking to reduce some speed. Never swerve yourself. You have to train yourself not to do that. Brake straight. If you hit and kill a biker that is worst. That pickup could be in a mess if he swerved into someone. He got lucky.

Watch your surroundings. They can see what you can't. Like other said. They are braking for no reason so you have to ask yourself. What are they seeing up ahead? You should reduce speed until you figure it out. This is where I hope FSD can do in the future. It need to predict and act instead of reacting after the fact.

Good luck with your other Tesla. Work on your defensive driving because other idiots could get you into an accident. That Pickup was probably texting and reacted too late which caused you to react too late. You just need to account for that while you are driving. Many actually look down field and see as far and wide as they can. Even this was not your fault in your mind, but technically this was 100% your fault. You have to be in control of your vehicle at all times and not run it in anything.

Reactions: KenC and Biscuitman
Status
Not open for further replies.