Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Faith in Tesla is Tested...

Do you find my lack of faith disturbing?

• Yes

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Force choke

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZeroDarkSilver

HEPA cleaning your atmosphere, you're welcome
May 30, 2016
Northern California
A few days ago I pulled into my first Supercharger.

Yay, free juice!

As I'm charging, spot a Model X pull into the Supercharger, awesome!

Oh look, it's pulling into the stall right next to mine, cool!

Hey, that X has passengers in the back seats...

Um, it looks like they are going to get out...

Wait, that means those Falcon Wing doors are going to open up any second...

Damn, that X is really close to my car...

Sh*t, I _really_ hope the ultrasonics see the side of my car...

Oh man there's no way there's enough space for them to open...

Holy crap they're opening...please don't hit me, please don't hit me, please don't hit me...

O

M

F

G

The Falcon spreads its wings gracefully.

No contact at all.

The passengers get out, puzzled as to why I'm sitting there looking terrified.

Just because I know that's the way it's supposed to work doesn't mean it wouldn't take me a while to gain confidence that it actually works that way. I am notorious for anything that isn't industrial and military strength failing upon me being within a room's distance of it. When Microsoft Windows came out, for almost a decade, whenever I walked within 35 feet of one of those computers, they would crash. When I walked past university computer rooms with Microsoft Windows in them, I'd hear all the people on the non-Unix terminals swear, and I'd chuckle, look back, and see all of them crashing somehow. But, anything that was solid, would have no problem with me around it. I was the ultimate tester, just by being alive.

Unfortunately, my superpower to ruin anything that wasn't totally solid has diminished with age, and been replaced with other stuff. But, my lack of confidence in stuff until I trust it remains. But I also carry along a behavior from that time: because I knew either it would survive me or not, my attitude is that no matter what, it would work, or else it was crap, so I have this sort of "of course it works right" attitude about everything, and when it fails, I just say it's crap. So, basically, I would look in the rear view mirror, with the query, "am I filing an insurance claim or not?" and just patiently watch to see which box to tick on the report. I would be pleasantly surprised to find out I didn't need to fill out any paperwork.

But, absolutely, it's OK to be afraid.

upload_2016-7-6_23-19-1.png

• Informative
Reactions: ZeroDarkSilver

Yay, free juice!

Holy crap they're opening...please don't hit me, please don't hit me, please don't hit me...

O

M

F

G

No contact at all.

I like your sense of humor ... :cool:

Yay, free juice!

O

M

F

G

No contact at all.

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Actually, I test drove an X yesterday, parked next to my SUV to load daughter's car seat into the car. The automatic driver's door opened and, if not for the quick reflexes of my wife, may have slammed into the open door on my SUV. I say may because I'm not positive what would've happened as I was busy arranging the car seat. But given that people have had experience with their FWDs hitting smaller or thinner objects around the car, it seems possible.

It's actually not the FWD you have to worry about.

It's the front doors.

For some reason Tesla thought it would be a great idea for the front driver door to open automatically when unlocking the car with the fob.

One owner almost took out a cyclist because he didn't realize that it would open the front door (it was part of a recent firmware update).

Like the OP I would be terrified if a Model X parked next to me. In fact I might just move myself over as a precaution.

Actually, I test drove an X yesterday, parked next to my SUV to load daughter's car seat into the car. The automatic driver's door opened and, if not for the quick reflexes of my wife, may have slammed into the open door on my SUV. I say may because I'm not positive what would've happened as I was busy arranging the car seat. But given that people have had experience with their FWDs hitting smaller or thinner objects around the car, it seems possible.

I really want to do a before and after study the human reflex system as it pertains to kids.

My hypothesis is there is something about become a parent that immediately hones a persons reflexes. Like some drug induced brain change that prepares them for the challenges that await.

I really want to do a before and after study the human reflex system as it pertains to kids.

My hypothesis is there is something about become a parent that immediately hones a persons reflexes. Like some drug induced brain change that prepares them for the challenges that await.

Ha, and you'd probably find something there. Having a kid changes you in so many unexpected ways (unexpected to me at least).

But yeah, it was the driver's side front door that almost automatically opened (read: rammed) into the open right rear passenger door on my SUV.

Even one of the sales advisors seemed unusually candid in saying that we made a good decision going with the S because the X just had "too much going on." Which mirrors what Elon himself has said about the car.