Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Feb 2022 Model 3 LR's rear motor just failed. Less than 6k miles on it. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so sad. I picked up my model 3LR last year in Feb 2022, and I have all of 5,678 miles on it. Yesterday my husband and I went to pick our dog up from emergency surgery, and as he backed out of the garage, we saw a warning light then heard a loud "thunk!". Thank god we were not on a highway, or we could have been in a fatal accident! Sadly, no appointments for 4 days, so I am now without a car. While it says "safe to drive", it in no way feels remotely normal driving, and I am going to have it towed to the Tesla shop. Anyone else experience this in a newer Tesla with ow mileage?? Wondering what the turnaround time is to fix it, and if I am ever going to feel entirely safe driving it again, knowing his could happen on a freeway. :(

Reactions: fredjan
drive unit failure is very rare on recent Model 3's. There are tons of them sold and very few reports of problems.

It's possible it's a suspension failure, particularly with the 'thunk' sound. That might be easier to fix if its control arms, motor mounts, or springs/shocks.

When you say "it no way feels remotely normal driving" what do you mean?

Hm. Interesting. A few things:
  1. What was the interaction with Tesla? For something like this Tesla is pretty fast with a loaner while they get the car fixed. Have you called them? What did they do?
  2. I happen to drive a 2018 M3. About 5k miles into driving it about, the S.O. was backing out of the garage and the car went kaput. To make a relatively short story even shorter, a fuseable link in the wiring pagoda blue, likely due to a short somewhere. Tesla had us driving about in a loaner for a few days while they got parts and repaired it all; the car currently has some 55k miles on it with no further trouble.
  3. Thing is: Cars do have troubles under warranty. That's why there are warranties. A 2001 Honda Odyssey that the SO and I had sprung a major fuel leak in its early days and ended up in the shop for a week while the appropriate gaskets were found. A 2010 Toyota Prius that we had died in a restaurant parking lot when the inverter blew.
As it happens, in my day job, I've occasionally worked as a reliability engineer, working out how many spares of high-reliability equipment plug-ins need to be kept on hand for the occasional failure that inevitably occurs. The basic rule: Over a big enough population of anything man-made, there will be $RANDOM failures as time moves on. ICE's occasionally break piston rods; transmissions break open and spew gears all over the place; metal struts snap; transistors stop transisting; wires fray and short; and everybody dies in the end. Such is life.

There's this thing in reliability engineering called a "Bathtub Curve". The probability of failure of anything one might care to mention starts up relatively high at birth (failures in this range are called "infant mortality"); drops to a low, flat probability driven by Poission-based statistics; and rises up at the end due to wearout mechanisms. Electronics manufacturers often bake their equipment for 24 or 48 hours after making it, in the hopes of reducing the initial failure rate (which it does); but some stuff escapes the factory, anyway.

You see this in normal life, too: Get a case of lightbulbs and start using them. Sooner or later, one will screw in a lightbulb that's supposed to be good for 6000 hours or something and it'll go Pop! and die the first time it gets plugged in. As I said, that's life.

So, what did Tesla say and do?

Uncommon but it does happen unfortunately, and the thunk you described is consistent with other reports. If you're having it towed to the service center I believe they have to start diagnostics within 24 hours. I doubt it will be a long fix, maybe a few days or a week. They ought to give you a loaner but that isn't a guarantee. Try not to worry; it's under warranty and they need to fix it, and they will.

The "thunk" was likely the motor inverter fuse blowing. It uses an explosive charge to cut the massive copper wiring if a potentially dangerous issue is detected. It should be perfectly fine to drive on the remaining motor with no additional risk.

If the worst case scenario had occurred where this happened on the freeway at high speeds with your entire family in the car and you only had one motor to begin with (e.g. a SR model 3 RWD), then there would be beeps and screen warnings followed by a slight but detectable slowing of the car. And then you'd die.

“And then you'd die”

Sitting here recovering from Eye surgery. Thank you, you made my day.
👍🤪
Heh. As it happens, there are reliability engineers who have deep backgrounds in a mathematical field known as, “System Identification”. One of the more-or-less common ways of using System ID takes mathematical models of something one is interested in; then, using real data from the field, modify the parameters, structure, and what-all of the model so, given field input data, one gets output data that matches the field data. Once one has done all this and not made too many mistakes, one can then get new input data from the field or generate one’s own hypothetical input data, then see what the model generates for output.

Weirdly enough, people who are responsible for opening and closing sluice gates for dams in response to rainfalls or snowmelt in major river systems are all over this method. So are traffic engineers.

And, in this one case I read about, were a bunch of reliability engineers thinking about longevity in humans. Cells: one has redundant cells that die all the time! The body makes new ones, but after yea many divisions, the telemorenes shorten up and the body doesn’t keep on doing that! Nerve cells and brain cells die at a certain rate and aren’t replaced.. These maniacs built this really, really complex model, went out and got actuarial tables, information on cell life and such from medical journals, and went to town with the System ID math.

The results were interesting. Peak reliability for humans was in the early teens. Their models showed death rates increasing as one would get older as the built-in redundancy of a human’s internals got worse with age; except that the probability of dying stopped getting worse around age 95. And, not surprisingly, given how the model was manufactured using those actuarial tables, the models showed occasional individuals living to what appeared to be ridiculous ages, like 145.

This might all seem like looking at one’s own naval, but it was the insight of the failures of redundancies in a model with multiple thousands of redundant entities and millions of redundant cells in those entities that made the model interesting and perhaps useful.

My car decided to completely cut power as I went back on the highway after supercharging on a trip, once I was in the left lane... Twice. Complete loss of power, pull on the side of the road. I did not die, on both occasions. I was unhappy and cursed, but did not die. In my case it was vcfront that neede replacing. But you won't die...

Years ago I had a P85D loaner back when those were the newest fastest Tesla. My first dual motor Tesla experience, if I recall correctly. The rear motor failed on me before I had a chance to safely try launching it. (It was well into 5 digit mileage as a P85D loaner, I'm sure it was beat to sh*t already.)

At first I was pretty disappointed. Then I was like, how cool is it I can still drive after a friggin' motor failure?? Try that in an ICE car! I kept that P85D for the rest of my P85's service visit, driving around on the front motor only, highway included. It was fine. I was fine. My toddler was fine. No tow truck needed. Still safer and quicker than the average car on the road for sure!

(By "failed" I mean the car reported errors with the rear motor and refused to use it anymore, even after rebooting both MCU computers. I don't know what the exact failure or fix ended up being, since it wasn't my car.)

Reactions: Lindenwood
Two weeks later, my car is still sitting at the Tesla service center and nothing has happened. My repair progress status just says "waiting for parts". They did give me a loaner car, which I appreciate.

This happened as we were about to drive 1.5 hours to pick up our dog after emergency surgery, so it was especially frustrating. I have not yet been given any "diagnosis". I was told by Tesla it "sounded like rear engine failure".

A drive motor failure isn't going to just kill you out of the blue. You're going to pull off to the side like any reasonable driver as soon as you lose power. Even in aircraft, you're not going to die just because you lost power.
Yes, I hear you. The problem is that it would not drive forward or in reverse. It just froze. It would not shift, but it did still steer. Tesla told me not to drive it, and to have it towed to them, which I did. Two weeks later, I have a loaner car from them, no diagnosis that anyone has given but my status says "waiting for parts".

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
The "thunk" was likely the motor inverter fuse blowing. It uses an explosive charge to cut the massive copper wiring if a potentially dangerous issue is detected. It should be perfectly fine to drive on the remaining motor with no additional risk.

If the worst case scenario had occurred where this happened on the freeway at high speeds with your entire family in the car and you only had one motor to begin with (e.g. a SR model 3 RWD), then there would be beeps and screen warnings followed by a slight but detectable slowing of the car. And then you'd die.
I hope it is a simple fix! The strange thing is that it would no longer drive forward, nor go in reverse.
@Doggerton ?? Did you died?
No, our dog nearly did though, which is why I was not back on here. Luckily we were able to get him in for emergency surgery, and he is recovering.

For what it's worth: Our 2018 RWD LR blew the pyro fuse back in 2nd Q of 2019. We didn't know that at the time, of course: All we saw was that there were a slew of faults on the screen. In NJ at the time the local Service Center had a two truck, or one under contract. They showed, tried jumping the 12V (failed), hauled it out of there, put it on the flatbed, and off to the SC it went.

Initially they gave the SO (whose daily driver the car was) Uber credits; two days later, we got a loaner Model S. It took a few days until their troubleshooter (their words) at the SC had time; once the fellow had time, we got the loaner and the car went into, "waiting for parts" mode. We were told that Tesla Engineering wanted to know about this one!

Parts took about a week to show. Looking at the repair slip, the "Pagoda wiring harness", the pyro fuse, and the 12V battery were all replaced. Car's now my daily driver, we've been all over the landscape with it, and no further trouble.

We figured that the battery got run down to zero while waiting for parts and all; and, given a number of bad 12V batteries at the time, replacing it was probably getting out in front of any further problems. Given that the wiring harness was replaced, our natural suspicion is that, somewhere in the high-voltage wiring, a short developed.

So, sorry it had to happen to you, but, apparently, this does happen from time to time to people. Kind of like when the occasional new ICE throws a rod or breaks a crankshaft or camshaft. Things like that don't happen often, true, but the do happen. And for those ICE people, new engines, new transmissions, or what-all do occur. That's why there's warranties.

For that matter, the Gen III Toyota Prius I used to drive around blew the transistors in the motor driver and froze the car in the (relative) middle of nowhere in Connecticut back in the 2010's sometime. Luckily, it was the middle of a working day; AAA showed and got the car to a Toyota dealer less than ten miles away; and we got given another Prius as a loaner. It took them about a week to fix it, too, under warranty. Stuff happens.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2