Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My feedback to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously things like autopilot, battery capacity and charging time (that hasn't been an issue for me) are fundamental things that I assume will evolve as Tesla continues to lead the market. But those are major upgrades, requiring different hardware. That's why I leased my X.

What I'm talking about are things that relate to the interface in the current car. I think I should have been clearer about my priorities. Things like the key stuff and door opening is secondary. Nice but not critical.

I agree with Kenny. We all expect the nav/range/autopilot to improve over time and we know Tesla is actively working on this. They require major work for each update in terms of hardware and/or software. What he is speaking to can be fixed with simple software changes.

The lesser issues he brought up are something that could be done fairly easily if Tesla had the will and intent to do it.

I have had my Tesla for 2 months now and I wish it integrated better with my iPhone. CarPlay would be a huge boon but Musk (like Steve Jobs) is likely a control freak. I mean this as a compliment and it works great when it hits the mark - which is most of the time for these geniuses. But sometimes there can be obstinacy (one button mouse for apple, lack of CarPlay for Tesla) which is unnecessary, and leads to a poorer experience for the end user. With Jobs, we could go out and buy a third party two button mouse or external DVD drive. With Tesla there is no such ability.

It is regretful that there is no option for established third party phone interfaces like CarPlay in my car. Or on the hardware side, an optional key fob with recessed keys so I do not crush myself in the FWD (or look out my office window this morning to see my tesla with the drivers door wide open because the 60 lb PC I carried out of it bumped the fob in my pocket as I was walking away). I thought the doors automatically closed when the fob was far away enough but clearly being 5 stories up and 10 stalls away is not that distance.

Sometimes design is truly brilliant but sometimes it is so busy revelling in its self-congratulatory majesty that it misses the fact that what an engineer thinks is cool is not what the majority of end users want. Great style with lousy function or great function with lousy style is a tough choice sometimes. We have all bought the former only to end up pining for the latter.

I love the FWD even though some have said they were over-engineered and unneccessary. I like the key fob but I do not love it. Sure, it's cool that it looks like a mini Tesla car. Unfortunately it is bad with tight jeans, other objects in the same pocket or when carrying bulky stuff. It leads to unintended door issues weekly that I had perhaps once a year with a standard fob. After a while the design coolness fades and the utility annoyance takes its place. I love style but function always wins for me in the long run if I cannot have both. And I expect both from a company like Tesla. Not because I "paid a lot" for the car (still great value at any price) but because they have the talent and the ambition to do this right.

S