TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My feet are freezing!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by David29, Jan 13, 2016.

1. David29

David29 Member

I just took a half hour trip in 28F (-2C) air. My feet were freezing the whole time. The HVAC was set to send air flow to the floor, but I could not feel any air flowing below the dash. I had the heat set to 70, and I was comfortable from the waist up. The lower parts of the seat, the door panels, everything below my waist was freezing cold. I drove long enough that I would have expected the cabin temps to stabilize. But I was surprised at how cold the footwell (and my feet) seemed to be.

Is there a trick I am missing to keeping one's feet warm? The weather will get a lot colder than this, so I hope I do not need to wear long johns and mukluks to drive around comfortably....

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If you have 7.1, the heat is basically broken.

3. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Yes. Definitely. I have it set +5F higher than I did in 6.2 and earlier and I still fill chilly in the footwell. I'll call Tesla about it tomorrow, I think others experiencing the problem should do so as well.

4. thegruf

thegruf Member

cold feet in the UK too

5. jdw

jdw Member

I find that if you leave the climate control in full automatic mode, bad things happen when it is cold. First, it cycles between heat and air conditioning to try to maintain the set temperature - no matter how high you set the temperature, with the exception of the "Hi" setting which disables the AC. This results in swings from hot air to cold air Fix: manually turn off the AC.

Second, the automatic fresh air/recirculate setting will often default to recirculate only, blocking fresh air from entering, causing the windows to fog up. Fix: Set recirculate manually to allow fresh air in, at least some of the time, or if the windows are fogging up.

Third, the auto fan speed can be a little anemic. Fix: Map the fan speed to the right hand scroll wheel for quick adjustment. Scroll fan speed up or down or click to reset fan speed to auto.

Fourth, if your feet are cold, manually set the heat to the floor. Leaving this one setting on auto seems to work fine for me.

It was -12C (10F) here today and the heating worked fine on 7.1 when set as above at 22C (72F). If I just set 22/72 on full auto, it alternately heats and cools, the windows fog up and it is nowhere near as comfortable.

6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Firmware 7+ and you have to leave the heat on HI to survive. I wonder if Elons cold in his car?

7. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I have told my SvC that the update to 2.9.68 made my heat worse. I have not had a chance to test 7.1. 70º today!:biggrin:

8. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Probably doesn't apply to the OP, but for people with older cars it might be applicable -- there is a service bulletin for an improved airflow cover for the drivers (left) foot-well vents. The service center installed it when I complained that the driver's side foot-well wasn't blowing as much less air than the passenger side, and it has helped a lot. (Didn't fix the software problems, but 2.9.68 seems to be a bit better at heating my car than 2.7.56 and 2.7.77)

9. dirkhh

He's in California. When it's "really cold" outside that probably means 55°F...

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have had this problem since well before 6.0. I took it to service and complained. They said everything was within spec. I recall reading quite some time ago that when they first introduced the car with just the mesh defrost grille that there was a huge fogging issue. So they replaced the grille with more traditional vents and reprogrammed the climate to throw 75% of the air up to the windscreen, even when set only to floor. I get more than enough air to the defrost when set only to floor. So the fan is not the problem for me. It's the vent control programming. It has become so annoying that when I am on a long drive, I wear thick wooly socks and heavy slippers. And I live CA for g-d's sake!

I think that it is rediculous. It's an easy OTA fix. There have been many complaints about this.

11. BertL

BertL Active Member

Yes, that's pretty much true, but why a lot of us live here. We're (or at least I am) a bunch of whimps when it comes to cold weather, especially with my having lived in Hawaii for a number of years. ;) I thought I was freezing walking my dog in 36F this morning at 6AM. ...but I agree, I am cold in my MS and constantly use the "butt warmer", whereas I never did in my previous vehicles. I'm honestly happy I'm not traveling to colder climates in my MS while this problem exists.

As much as I love my MS, I do though wonder sometimes with challenges some have with MS, and a few of the issues that have existed for years now... The little things that are not there or not prioritized to be resolved: If Elon does not see the need, what does it take to make it happen today? ...and will that always remain the same as volumes increase, and be a successful business model as we get beyond the early adopter phase Tesla is still in?

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I keep my heat at 67 and Auto and I think it's doing a great job. I used to have to fidget with it, but after some update (maybe 7.0?) it became leave it and forget it.

Also I'm positive I have hot airflow going to the feet, my feet aren't cold, and I dropped my messenger bag into the passanger footwell, when I got to work it was warm to the touch (hot air was 100% blowing at it).

13. dirkhh

I wonder what causes these different experiences. What VIN range is your car in? I used to have mine on 68 and was very happy until 6.2. But now? Brrrrrrr. At 73.

14. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

70D 87xxx

I only had 6.2 during the summer, so I don't have a previous heat setting, but I did have to fidget with the AC.

Now in the winter with 7.0/7.1 it's leave it and forget it (like any normal car should be). To be fair, I prefer colder temps, I keep my house at 67/68 at home in the winter too.

15. fabbec

fabbec Member

Cold feed in Germany too
    The 2014 P+ is Store

16. dirkhh

Our house is at 68 in the winter. I don't like my car too warm, either. But our experiences seem to be the exact opposite. 6.2 for me (from last summer until just now) was "set and forget". 7.1 I have to mess with to not feel like an icicle.

17. fabbec

fabbec Member

Wie have ECE Version 1 no AP P29xxx

18. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

My Tahoe... set to 72. All winter. All Summer. the whole IDEA behind auto HVAC is set it and forget it.

The Service Center said to set it to HI, then back off to comfortable. In a $100k car. Genius.

19. fabbec

fabbec Member

In 2014 and befor 7.0 wie have no Problems

20. retinadoc

retinadoc Member

It is really hard to believe that a Company that is at the current edge of software design for autonomous driving cannot create a simple patch for an HVAC system that used to work perfectly for the past three winters. C'mon Tesla, I really don't want this fixed in June:cursing:

• Like x 1