Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first accident caught on dash cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing major, but the other driver had me worried that she was gonna lie saying I rear-ended her. Honestly, it was probably just me, but she rubbed me the wrong way.

Newark NJ is a city where they don’t send an officer to take a report unless there are injuries. So it’s up to the drivers to go to the police station, individually, get the forms, and mail in their own account of the accident. One can probably understand the major flaws in this system. Either driver can write anything they want. Anyway, when I remembered I had the dash cam, I hit that little magic button and I was completely vindicated. Love that Tesla!!

Did you tell her you have a dashcam? Would be fun to see her try lying :)

Also, was it a bumper replacement or did they repair it somehow?
Honestly, I forgot I had the dash cam. The accident happened like 2 weeks after I got it. Hours went by, but only about 30 minutes worth of driving, to the precinct and back to work. When my coworker said that security might have footage on their street facing camera, I immediately remembered the dash cam. I ran out to the car and pulled the USB drive. That afternoon, as I was looking through the drive, I found it to be corrupted and there were only a few clips but none of the accident. So I downloaded a disk recovery tool and I discovered all the missing clips including the ones from that morning.

The woman works at my company (the accident happened at the entrance to our parking deck). I met up with her to give her the forms from the police department and she maintained her position that the security guard was at fault for telling her to backup while I was there. I held my peace, but was thinking the same things any rational driver would think:
- How does that absolve you from having to control your own car?
- What’s your backup camera for?
- What if I was a pedestrian and you killed me?

Anyway, I mailed my form into the state, but she never mailed hers (I checked). The only info I had on her was her name, her insurance company name, her license plate, and her car. I got an estimate for the repair and it included full bumper and fog lamp replacement. Then I put in a claim with her insurance company. Their adjuster put it down for bumper repair and partial paint (just the part of the bumper which was damaged). That’s BS. When Intook it in for the repair at the body shop of my choosing, they assured me that they absolutely will NOT repair the bumper. And they didn’t. Full replacement and submitted a supplement to the insurance company. It worked out.

BTW, when I made the claim, I told them I have footage. They said they will call their client and call me back. It took 5 minutes for the call back and said even without the police report, their client was at fault and would pay for the whole thing. I don’t know for sure, but I feel they must have mentioned the footage and she simply told the truth.

It all worked out in the end.

she maintained her position that the security guard was at fault for telling her to backup while I was there.

Some people just don't know how to accept responsibility. Glad to hear you got a full bumper replacement. I believe you could also make a diminished value claim with her insurance if that wasn't included already - probably not much but could cover some of your time.

Wow that was great you were able to recover the footage. Curious what disk recovery tool you used. So the footage would have been in the buffer files I take it since Sentry only works in Park and you hadn't saved anything. Great timing on the part of your co-worker friend who mentioned the security camera footage so it didn't get overwritten! Happy it worked out for you and the more we hear of stories like yours the more second nature the TeslaCam/Sentry Mode will become. I know a lot of people still have questions about using it.

Wow that was great you were able to recover the footage. Curious what disk recovery tool you used. So the footage would have been in the buffer files I take it since Sentry only works in Park and you hadn't saved anything. Great timing on the part of your co-worker friend who mentioned the security camera footage so it didn't get overwritten! Happy it worked out for you and the more we hear of stories like yours the more second nature the TeslaCam/Sentry Mode will become. I know a lot of people still have questions about using it.

Photorec is a great free application for recovering data. I tested it on my car and retrieved Teslacam footage that had been deleted.

Reactions: SMAlset
It looks like I'm not the only one who sees about 30-40% of the downloaded 1 minute files getting corrupted on my USB.
I gotta tell you. It got much better after some update. The 2019.5.15 broke it again after Sentry Mode. Now, on 2019.8.6 (but since 2019.8.4)and it’s all better again. Haven’t seen the gray X in a while. Hopefully it stays this way.