Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update from the body shop: repairs will cost $25k!!!

Yep, no surprises there. Seems pretty reasonable. High used car prices and resale value in general helping you out here. Probably close call though on total loss, but the type of damage possibly made the auction price take a big hit (just speculating), which helps you out too.

Estimate is on the low side (they always go up!). At least they’re not calling it a total loss! That would be bad news.

Update from the body shop: repairs will cost $25k!!! My insurance will cover all of it minus the deductible. They are waiting for the paperwork from my insurance company and will be ordering parts soon and get back to me on a timeline for repairs.

The most sustainable car in the world is the least sustainable car in the world.

pay Tesla the $1,000 deductible and they would pay Tesla the repair costs. So yes, I figured that is how it works. I pay the deductible and my insurance pays the body shop for the repairs. I was not expecting the check at all. I have not received the check yet. I just got an email and text from my insurance stating that a claim payment has been made to me & the bank that had my loan for $4,235.87.
Basically you will just sign the check over to the body shop. They write you the small check because they are hoping that the car is drivable and you will keep the cash and keep driving the car. If you have the car fixed, they will work through the additional charges. Look at how many damaged cars you see driving around on the roadways, and you will get an idea of what they can save by doing this - and a lot of people will take the cash.

The body shop will be familiar with how to negotiate the issues.

Basically you will just sign the check over to the body shop. They write you the small check because they are hoping that the car is drivable and you will keep the cash and keep driving the car. If you have the car fixed, they will work through the additional charges. Look at how many damaged cars you see driving around on the roadways, and you will get an idea of what they can save by doing this - and a lot of people will take the cash.

The body shop will be familiar with how to negotiate the issues.

My Insurance cut me a check for the initial repair costs and also cut a check directly to the body shop for the additional repair costs - my deductible.

My Insurance cut me a check for the initial repair costs and also cut a check directly to the body shop for the additional repair costs - my deductible.
Our cars are at the same location. How long will your repairs take? My initial quote was 4-5 weeks. It’s been there three weeks already and they just told me about 8 more. More damage was found when they took the back off. I‘m in a Tesla rental at least so I don’t mind.

Our cars are at the same location. How long will your repairs take? My initial quote was 4-5 weeks. It’s been there three weeks already and they just told me about 8 more. More damage was found when they took the back off. I‘m in a Tesla rental at least so I don’t mind.

They have not told me how long repairs will take. They just said that they are still waiting on some parts but that they have started repairs.

Glad for you! It was a long wait, but the quality repair was worth it
I had a situation when an inadequate guy crashed into my car. He was drugged, although he desperately denied it. But he didn't know how to lie, and the presence of drugs in the blood is easy to detect. The lawyer helped me win this case, and I gave the money to the body shop. I wanted to scream when I saw the result. It was more like a cosmetic repair, although they took the car for a month. I didn't want to sue the body shop, but now I will choose repairers more carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC