Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: my insurance will pay $4,250 for the repairs and I will need to pay my deductible of $1,000. I can live with that. Now, I am just waiting to hear from Tesla. I have an appointment for April 14. Can't come soon enough.
That is FAR more then $4250 in damage. I had less damage on the same rear quarter panel, and it cost over $10k. The insurance adjuster thought that was cheap for such an extensive repair. They need to empty your car, remove the glass roof, side doors, interior, etc then cut out the rear quarter of that car and weld/glue in a new one. It is major surgery. The repair took weeks without having to wait for material.

Lack of cross traffic alerts and 360 camera are my biggest issues with my 3 and Y. I almost hit a truck today as I was backing out (but I know to always double/triple check when in my Teslas).

I just assumed it would be standard equipment on a Tesla. Oh well, it's not like we haven't been driving for years without that technology. Well, I guess most of us anyway. But it would be nice if it was included.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and KenC
I got a letter from NHTSA. They say they are particularly interested in accidents involving Teslas and want to reconstruct my accident. The letter has a number where I can call a NHTSA crash technician.

That just seems weird (surprising!) for what is essentially a fender bender caused by human error with no injuries (not a comment on the amount of damage, just a completely routine accident). Was this because of their monitoring your Twitter, this website, or through insurance claim monitoring? I assume the letter makes it clear.

It’s certainly true that property damage could have likely been eliminated in this case with the right safety systems, and maybe that is what they are interested in? Maybe they are weighing cost/benefit of adding regulation to require such equipment, and gathering data to support that?

That just seems weird (surprising!) for what is essentially a fender bender caused by human error with no injuries (not a comment on the amount of damage, just a completely routine accident). Was this because of their monitoring your Twitter, this website, or through insurance claim monitoring? I assume the letter makes it clear.

It’s certainly true that property damage could have likely been eliminated in this case with the right safety systems, and maybe that is what they are interested in? Maybe they are weighing cost/benefit of adding regulation to require such equipment, and gathering data to support that?

Here is the letter.

JsSgfKa.jpg

My recent scratched bumper (other drivers fault) was $5200 and two and a half weeks. Bumper replacement. Tesla took a week and a half to deliver the parts.

Geico, the other driver's insurance, didn't want to pay the Tesla approved bodyshop $5200

That might be on the up and up — who would be dumb enough to generate such an un-professional letter besides a professional? Still to be on the safe side you should call back using a number for the NHTSA obtained from google or a phone book, just to make sure you aren’t getting scammed somehow…

The letter did include a NHTSA business card.

Reactions: cwerdna