Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy is legit. I got an email confirmation from the VP of KLD Associates confirming that Rob Kanavy is an active employee of their company doing work for NHTSA. Here is the email I received:

Fantastic! I hope you learn something interesting, and if so I hope you have time to share it with the rest of us.

I'm also glad you didn't just assume the worst, but checked things out beforehand, too. Trust But Verify.

• Funny
Reactions: jjgg and diplomat33
Fantastic! I hope you learn something interesting, and if so I hope you have time to share it with the rest of us.

I'm also glad you didn't just assume the worst, but checked things out beforehand, too. Trust But Verify.

Yes, I will share. I will get to see what the NHTSA safety inspection is like first hand.

The guy is legit. I got an email confirmation from the VP of KLD Associates confirming that Rob Kanavy is an active employee of their company doing work for NHTSA. Here is the email I received:
Well from here on out it is all cake and ice cream. As long as the guy isn’t some kind of criminal I feel greatly relieved. Maybe you don’t have to a cynical old bastard like me in order to survive in this god-forsaken world…

Reactions: diplomat33
This just confirms my lack of faith in NHTSA. Was KDL the low bidder on the contract? Or do they know someone?

Why would this be a confirmation of lack of faith?

This is simply data collection so why not outsource it? Sure we can agree that KDL doesn't seem to be that good of an organization, and perhaps they shouldn't have gotten the contract.

But, to me it doesn't really speak to the NHTSA itself.

Reactions: diplomat33
This just confirms my lack of faith in NHTSA. Was KDL the low bidder on the contract? Or do they know someone?

It's KLD, not KDL.

And why would it lower your faith in NHTSA? NHTSA is not involved in my accident. It's KLD Associates that is doing the safety inspection of my car and collecting crash data for NHTSA.

With the number of accidents in the US, it makes sense for NHTSA to outsource data collection to other companies. It would be costly if an actual NHTSA inspection team had to go all over the country to collect data for every single car accident.

Why would this be a confirmation of lack of faith?

This is simply data collection so why not outsource it? Sure we can agree that KDL doesn't seem to be that good of an organization, and perhaps they shouldn't have gotten the contract.

But, to me it doesn't really speak to the NHTSA itself.
They outsourced the work to some company who's staff contacts a person with a handwritten note. How professional. Then the Tesla driver has to hunt around on the Internet just to make sure that them letter writer isn't either a Nigerian prince or worse. NHSTA might want to audit this contract. I'm suggesting that everyone here contact NHTSA and vehemently complain. Oh wait. No sensible person would do that over a minor issue.

Reactions: Scott7 and WhiteWi
It's KLD, not KDL.

And why would it lower your faith in NHTSA? NHTSA is not involved in my accident. It's KLD Associates that is doing the safety inspection of my car and collecting crash data for NHTSA.

With the number of accidents in the US, it makes sense for NHTSA to outsource data collection to other companies. It would be costly if an actual NHTSA inspection team had to go all over the country to collect data for every single car accident.

For me, the answer to the "why does this lower faith" question is, "random guy who backs out of his driveway and causes an accident is not something that needs to be investigated by anyone other than his insurance company".

I am sorry you got into an accident, but there is no reason I can think of that this should be on anyones radar but yours and the person who hit you.

For me, the answer to the "why does this lower faith" question is, "random guy who backs out of his driveway and causes an accident is not something that needs to be investigated by anyone other than his insurance company".

I am sorry you got into an accident, but there is no reason I can think of that this should be on anyones radar but yours and the person who hit you.

I agree. Like the guy wrote in the letter: "Teslas are of special interest to NHTSA". So, it seems crash data on Teslas is more valuable. That is likely why this is happening. I doubt it would be happening if I was not in a Tesla.

The NHTSA's website says "CISS collects data on a representative sample of minor, serious, and fatal crashes involving at least one passenger vehicle – cars, light trucks, sport utility vehicles, and vans – towed from the scene". I don't see there's a problem with that, although I'm curious just what it they do with the information. I assume that if the NHTSA is gathering that data that it has more to do with politicians asking/telling them to do it; the root of government sponsored stupidity is politicians, usually those who thing they're saving somebody from something.

In general, I'd love to know more about whatever feedback loops there are to car manufacturers about making cars not just more crashworthy but also more repairable (i.e. cheaper to insure), which is what I assume is the purpose of investigating minor accidents. I would think, though, that a better source of raw information would be insurance companies themselves. I would think that the most effective way to do that, though, would be something similar to the Truth In Lending Act we have for real estate transactions: have the government require that car advertisements, sales contracts, the Monroney sticker, etc, display some information about average cost to ensure the specific car. At that point competition would work to improve things much more efficiently than government could.

Reactions: WhiteWi
If diplomat33 (OP) had been implementing FSD, and simply gotten into his car and stipulated the car drive to point B, would FSD have navigated him successfully out into the street without an accident? Or would it have suffered the same accident that OP was involved in?

I don't see where this thread is going. The original poster's questions were answered and further comments will not come up with a different answer. Maybe a few years from now we will find out whether Tesla has been singled out for investigations of minor single car accidents, but until someone else reports a similar incident, nothing new will be learned.

If diplomat33 (OP) had been implementing FSD, and simply gotten into his car and stipulated the car drive to point B, would FSD have navigated him successfully out into the street without an accident? Or would it have suffered the same accident that OP was involved in?

FSD Beta does not work in reverse. Otherwise, I would have used it. It probably would have avoided the accident or at least mitigated it IMO. And if I had been driving forward out of my parking space and used FSD Beta, yes, I think it would have avoided the accident. Of course, driving forward, I would have avoided the accident too.

But if the guy is legit from NHTSA, I can't really say no to NHTSA wanting some crash data from my accident.

Absolutely, 100% you can ...

... we can all take a lesson from Tony Soprano:

The only thing this guy is going to do is add to the witch hunt NHTSA has going against Tesla. My suspicion is that it's related to the backup camera cable recall, and they're looking for data points to pin on Tesla. Why do you think NHTSA appointed Missy Cummings as a "Safety Advisor"? It's not to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy, that much is for sure ...

Reactions: Scott7 and WhiteWi