Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Beta does not work in reverse. Otherwise, I would have used it. It probably would have avoided the accident or at least mitigated it IMO. And if I had been driving forward out of my parking space and used FSD Beta, yes, I think it would have avoided the accident. Of course, driving forward, I would have avoided the accident too.
OK I see. So if you had stipulated FSD to point B, the car would have just sat there because there was nowhere to go but backward. I guess what I’m starting to wonder now is if there might be certain scenarios in the future where drivers get into accidents that would not have happened if FSD was driving. Possibly even a driver gets killed and it could be said he’d still be alive if he’d ponied up the $12K for FSD…

I've been driving for 45 yrs, and cross-traffic alerts are great for backing out of a space, but I've only had that on one car for 3yrs; all the rest of the time, I've had to back out without it. Having said that,
The guy is legit. I got an email confirmation from the VP of KLD Associates confirming that Rob Kanavy is an active employee of their company doing work for NHTSA. Here is the email I received:
Now, you have to check if KLD is an authorized contractor for NHTSA investigations. I kid, I kid...

Reactions: diplomat33
OK I see. So if you had stipulated FSD to point B, the car would have just sat there because there was nowhere to go but backward. I guess what I’m starting to wonder now is if there might be certain scenarios in the future where drivers get into accidents that would not have happened if FSD was driving. Possibly even a driver gets killed and it could be said he’d still be alive if he’d ponied up the $12K for FSD…

This is not a FSD thread, and I am pretty fanatical about keeping that discussion in the subforum that it goes in... since it has an entire subforum dedicated to it.

As far as FSD in general though, @diplomat33 is likely one of the most knowledgable here about that topic, as that is a passion of his (at least from what I see posted here I feel comfortable saying that).

With that being said, as I mentioned, "FSD discussion goes in the FSD subforum."

I don't see where this thread is going. The original poster's questions were answered and further comments will not come up with a different answer. Maybe a few years from now we will find out whether Tesla has been singled out for investigations of minor single car accidents, but until someone else reports a similar incident, nothing new will be learned.

I think one of the reasons for the length and activity of this thread, is because @diplomat33 is a fairly well known poster here, with not only a pretty long length of time being here (since 2017) but also pretty (and at times very) active. Thats one reason why I was sure this wasnt an attempt by him to troll us in the beginning (even though I said It "felt that way").

I also think that the activity and camaraderie stems from @diplomat33 's willingness to accept the fact that he was at fault, and move toward the discussion of repairs, etc, vs another very similar thread in the model 3 subforum where someone hit an item backing up and was trying very hard to pin the blame on the car.

In that thread, because the OP of that one did not seem to want to admit they were at fault (instead, blaming the car), the response was different.

Back to this thread. While I certainly would not be taking the steps @diplomat33 is taking here (for previously stated reasons), I hope sincerely that this works out to not be too impactful for @diplomat33 .

So sorry to see/read this. Glad no one was hurt. Sure wish these Telsa’s came with rear cross traffic alert, like just about every other car. Would trade the farts any day for RCTA functionality.
Indeed. Many new cars these days come with it standard or as an option.

My former '19 Bolt Premier came with it standard (which I had from end of Jan 2019 to end of Jan 2022). From tables near the end of https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/brochures/chevrolet/2019-bolt.pdf, for the lower trim (LT), it's available as part of the driver confidence package.

The '22 Niro EV EX (base trim w/no options) comes with it standard. The below point out some vehicles that can have it.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
For me, the answer to the "why does this lower faith" question is, "random guy who backs out of his driveway and causes an accident is not something that needs to be investigated by anyone other than his insurance company".

I am sorry you got into an accident, but there is no reason I can think of that this should be on anyones radar but yours and the person who hit you.
To me it seems like they're attempting to do a blanket investigation of any Tesla accident.

You have to do that in order to assess the impact of AP/FSD/etc on accidents.

In this case its -1 for humans. :)

I don't see where this thread is going.
At this point its simply curiosity of the approach of the investigator.

At least that's what I'm interested in.

It's unique in that most people who have had an accident aren't contacted by someone doing an investigation for the NHTSA.

If they ever contact me they'll regret it because I'll talk their ear off on how I feel about AP/FSD (the good and the bad). :p

Reactions: jebinc
The NHTSA guy came over. He had his boss with him. They came in an official NHTSA work van. They both wore pants and a blue NHTSA shirt and jacket. They were very professional.

He said the reason they got this accident is because the police report said it was towed. I explained to him that it was not towed but at the time of the accident, when the police wrote the report, I was not sure how to move the car and thought I could not shift into gear so the police thought it was towable. If the police report had not put that the car was towed, NHTSA likely would never have picked my accident.

He asked permission to get the crash data. He said he would need to remove the B pillar to access the recorder. I said "no". He said was ok and said that the crash data would likely not be useful because the airbags did not deploy.

They just spent an hour measuring the car and taking lots of pictures of the car, both interior and exterior. They also took pictures of the road where the accident happened. They also asked me lots of questions. I told them a lot about Tesla. The boss called Elon a "genius". They seemed genuinely interested in how Teslas work. They were curious about FSD and FSD Beta. Overall, it was a good talk.

I’m sad for the person you hit. You undoubtedly ruined their day.

The accident pissed them off but I don't think I "ruined their day". The person was not injured and his pick up truck suffered minor damage, basically a broken headlight, very slight bent in the fender above the front wheel and some scratched paint. He'll probably take it to a local body shop and have it fixed in an hour. Believe me, my day was ruined far more than his! My entire rear corner is crunched in. My charge port and tail light are busted. A coworker had to pick me up for work for a week. There are no local body shops that can do Teslas so I have to drive my busted Tesla 80 miles, leave it there, get a rental car for several weeks. And the repairs are estimated at $12k or more which my insurance should cover (at least partially). So his day was certainly not ruined like my day was.

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
This thread has been most interesting.
But I would have changed one thing, diplomat33.
The hand written note ... I am surprised you want the "public" seeing your surname.
I would have also redacted the authors contact information.
Just sayin'
Had I authored said note and it was published without any redaction here, I would not be happy.

• Helpful
Reactions: WhiteWi
This thread has been most interesting.
But I would have changed one thing, diplomat33.
The hand written note ... I am surprised you want the "public" seeing your surname.
I would have also redacted the authors contact information.
Just sayin'
Had I authored said note and it was published without any redaction here, I would not be happy.
Said author has also plastered his FB account with that info so I don't think he'd have any problems; FB being more popular than TMC.

I was able to drive my Model 3 to the body shop (over 80 miles away) and drop it off. It will take several weeks to repair but I am relieved that the car is in good hands. And I got a rental car so I am good. Although, I will say the rental car definitely makes me appreciate my Tesla more.

Thanks for the update and hopefully they fix up your car properly. Just caught up on this thread and I'm glad the nhtsa guy wasn't a Nigerian prince haha. He should've thrown in some free takata air bags for your troubles.

There is absolutely ZERO reason you should have accepted a check for that repair. They WANT you to do that, so they can say that they have fulfilled their responsibility. That repair is going to be 10-15k (easy) and they KNOW it isnt 4250.

Thats the preliminary estimate. On page 1 of this thread, thats why I mentioned you were wasting your time going to a tesla service center for that repair, unless the SC was also a body shop ( and most are not).

Hopefully you have not signed or deposited that check. I am not an expert in this but if you didnt you may still be ok, if you did (which probably has some verbiage on it that you are accepting that as full payment for the repair), you might be up a creek without a paddle, so to speak.

Its going to be weeks / a couple months for that repair, and its going to be 10k at a minimum, probably closer to 15 -17k when all is done.

I agree it makes sense for them to pay the shop directly. Anecdotally from friends and family it seems pretty common for insurance to cut a check to the owner and then make adjustments to the chosen repair shop. IIRC, my co-worker signed the insurance check over to their chosen shop.