TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My first Autocross

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Roger Reid, Oct 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Roger Reid

Roger Reid Old but effective

I ran my new 2010 Roadster S yesterday in my first ever autocross. I know, no pics it didn't happen. I will post video when I edit the footage.

Although I didn't do very well (66 seconds) as I kept getting lost in the cones, My son (Blair) who races regularly also raced the Tesla and did 58 seconds. The fast time for the track was 51 seconds by a special built 800 lb race car (big go kart, huge wings) with a turbo'ed snowmobile engine. The fast Cobra replicars and Vettes were doing 52 seconds.

I had two other problems besides getting lost. The brakes need work. The brakes started getting better as they started braking in but still not up to the task. I will be looking for some better pads. The second problem was the car died twice. Both times it happened I just lost power. No regenerative braking, just coasting to a stop. Both times I toggled the key off and on a couple of times and got it running again. Both times it quit when I snapped the throttle to full very quickly. Traction control was off. The car didn't quit on my son Blair. I suspect he is smoother on the throttle and fed the power on more gradually. In my last run I concentrated on feeding the power less abruptly and had no troubles.

Anyone, ideas on the power failure's? Any suggestions on brake pads?

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Did you check the VDS for warning messages when you lost power?

Tesla can probably remote download the details from your car.
    Make note of the date & time it happened so you can tell them.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

4. Lancelac

Lancelac 2010 Roadster Sport #690

No doubt that the brakes are the weakest component of the car. I was very disappointed that the Sport package didn't upgrade the brakes. I'm interested in upgrading as well, and will let you know if I get any info.

5. Roger Reid

Roger Reid Old but effective

#5 Roger Reid, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    My son Blair (correction, I am driving) is driving in the above photos. I am passenger at this time. We switched off with 2 different numbers.

The car was the attention getter at the race. Everyone was amazed at the speed and the quiet.

I have a set of Hawk HT pads coming in from Sector 111. I will let you know how they work.

I believe I made a mistake by fully charging in performance mode then trailoring to the race. I lost regenerative braking until there was room in the battery to allow regeneration and hence braking force.

Roger

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I was generously offered a set of the Hawk pads. I opted for the micro mirror (I like it) so I will be interested in your report on the Hawk pads.

7. QuoteWarz

QuoteWarz New Member

Sure looks like a lot of fun. Once you get the bugs worked out it should be even more fun as you won't have any issues.

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Break pad discussion went here.