Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first "automated assistence" experience almost killed me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this might be a ghosting incident, the car perceives a danger and applies the brakes. this can be a jarring and dangerous experience especially the first time it happens. ghosting is an ongoing and to me an inexplicable occurrence. it has happened to me at low speed, high speed, on empty two lane roads and on 5 lane wide interstates. on my week long road trip I had two incidents.
the only cure when this phenomenon happens to you is to be alert and override the AEB system by hitting the go peddle.

It is so easy (for me) to hit the brake and accelerator together with the performance pedals. I really can't figure out why, but I've done it at least twice with P loaner cars (don't have the perf. pedals on my baby toy MS). I don't have big feet or shoes.
this happens a lot to newbies, once you get the muscle memory down it should be less of a problem for you.

I admit, I have not read all of the post on this thread .... that said, I want no part of autonomous driving.

My brother has a Tesla S and has demonstrated the technology. While impressive, it has its flaws, like exiting the freeway at an exit from the right lane when the lane markers veer to the right.
I do not want drivers that are disengaged and not attentive.
I do not want to rely on painted lane markers on the road that fade and are hard to see when wet, or disappear altogether when the road is covered with snow. Frequently, the highway department will resurface a stretch of road and cover the lane markers.
In addition, a driver that is not concentrating on the driving is more likely to become drowsy, play with the cell phone, or visit with other passengers.

This discussion occurred on PriusChat. Several writers touted how much safer we will be; how impaired drivers will be able to get around; even touting that eventually we would cease to own cars, just call and an autonomous car would pick us up and take us where we wanted to go. Some talked about all cars driving in unison, a safe distance apart, traveling safely communicating with one another. I know beyond a doubt .... that there will always be some jerk that is not content to follow along in unison, and will want to pass everyone .... on the left, or on the right.

I would be interested in a vehicle that senses the lane markers and warns me if I am straying; or warns me that the car in front with inoperative brake light is stopping. I would be much more interested in a vehicle that determines if the driver is impaired by alcohol or drugs, and auto parks the vehicle. Every week we have accidents caused by impaired drivers going the wrong way on an interstate exit ramp.

Thats my opinion ....

I admit, I have not read all of the post on this thread .... that said, I want no part of autonomous driving.

My brother has a Tesla S and has demonstrated the technology. While impressive, it has its flaws, like exiting the freeway at an exit from the right lane when the lane markers veer to the right.
I do not want drivers that are disengaged and not attentive.
I do not want to rely on painted lane markers on the road that fade and are hard to see when wet, or disappear altogether when the road is covered with snow. Frequently, the highway department will resurface a stretch of road and cover the lane markers.
In addition, a driver that is not concentrating on the driving is more likely to become drowsy, play with the cell phone, or visit with other passengers.

This discussion occurred on PriusChat. Several writers touted how much safer we will be; how impaired drivers will be able to get around; even touting that eventually we would cease to own cars, just call and an autonomous car would pick us up and take us where we wanted to go. Some talked about all cars driving in unison, a safe distance apart, traveling safely communicating with one another. I know beyond a doubt .... that there will always be some jerk that is not content to follow along in unison, and will want to pass everyone .... on the left, or on the right.

I would be interested in a vehicle that senses the lane markers and warns me if I am straying; or warns me that the car in front with inoperative brake light is stopping. I would be much more interested in a vehicle that determines if the driver is impaired by alcohol or drugs, and auto parks the vehicle. Every week we have accidents caused by impaired drivers going the wrong way on an interstate exit ramp.

Thats my opinion ....
I don't even know where to begin.... you obviously have very strong opinions based on very little information.

The Tesla is not autonomous, it's a drivers aid. It helps the driver.
You can't compare today's technology in "drivers aid" and extrapolate that autonomous cars wont work. That's like going back to 1970, and saying "look at this room sized computer, we'll never have one that can fit in the palm of our hands".
Once autonomous cars start being mass-manufactured, you can bet that there will be autonomous only lanes. And then there'll be a time when there are few to none "regular" cars. Sure, it's hard to imagine, but it'll happen. I doubt they'll be outlawed, but insurance companies can start to charge 10x more for regular cars than autonomous cars.

And again, with true autonomous cars, your driver impairment or driver texting comments are null and void.

I accept as valid both of the above comments. You are correct, I do not currently own a Tesla (but have made a deposit). I'll hold my opinion until I drive one ... but I'd still like to see a feature that immobilizes the vehicle when the driver is impaired (drugs or alcohol).
As for the stupid drivers .... I suppose we can't fix stupid.

BTW - Thank you both.

and you are certainly entitled to have that opinion.
however I'll bet that you are not a tesla owner and that fact diminishes the value of your comment.
come back and post a new opinion after you have owned one and driven a few thousand miles in an AP equipped car. I bet your opinion would be a lot different.

Well said haha and I'll attest to the fact that driving even 10 miles in heavy, stop and go traffic with an AP equipped car is life changing.

THIS!

On my commute today, I was immersed in how glad I was I chose this car... it is simply awesome in a 20 mile commute with lots of stop and go on the freeway.

You just can't try to make AP2 be what it is not... it will not drive you through local streets, construction zones, or sharp corners -- very safely anyhow. But it will rock your world in the commute, even at 80mph when on safe and well marked roads.

Well said haha and I'll attest to the fact that driving even 10 miles in heavy, stop and go traffic with an AP equipped car is life changing.

• Love
Reactions: OilSucks and gr2020
But I agree about the both pedals pressed might have been the cause.

It is so easy (for me) to hit the brake and accelerator together with the performance pedals. I really can't figure out why, but I've done it at least twice with P loaner cars (don't have the perf. pedals on my baby toy MS). I don't have big feet or shoes.

This is indeed the cause. My early 2013 (way before autopilot) will do the exact same thing. If I press both pedals, the car will cut the "throttle" and even after you let go of the brake and press the accelerator, there is an agonizingly long pause before the car will "get up and go" again. Not sure what the rationale for this delay is.