TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My first autopilot experience

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Joetnr1, May 9, 2016.

1. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Drove from L.A. up to Monterey over the weekend and had my first opportunity to use AP on some open freeways. I must say, it's incredibly impressive and I see what the fuss is all about. I'm pretty convinced and will most likely purchase it at the end of my trial.

I only have one issue with it and wanted to see if other folks are experiencing the same thing. As I was passing on the left, my car just seemed like it wanted to drift toward the car on the right just a hair. It seems to track a foot or two to the right side of the lane. This was just a little strange feeling especially when passing large trucks, etc...

I think part of it is a natural human tendency to drift slightly away from the car you're passing. Maybe it's something I just need to get used to but I'd be stoked if it just tracked slightly left on passing, or at least dead center.

Does anyone else experience this?

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Mine sometimes does that too, as if magnetically attracted to the car I'm passing. For that reason, I never take my hands off the wheel if there is traffic in an adjacent lane. (Yeah, I know. I should never take my hands off the wheel, period. But, if I'm on an open divided highway with no cars around me, I've been known to release the wheel from time to time.)

3. tstafford

tstafford Member

I feel it too, but I think it's just perception and years of driving on the left side of the lane. AP seems to drive in the center of the lane which I doubt humans actually do.

• Like x 1
  4. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Yes I think a major part of it is the normal driving habit of moving left ever so slightly. But I'm 99% sure it was pulling over just a hair as I approached the car to the right. Seemed a little odd. Definitely had my hands on the wheel on almost every pass.

5. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Yes, there is a long discussion of this in another thread. It's basically our human driver tendency to leave more room for the unexpected, and the AP's dedication to staying in the middle of the lane.

Still somewhat unnerving.

6. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

I had a feeling there'd be a thread somewhere but I couldn't find after a little bit of searching. If anyone comes across please link me up thanks! I'll keep poking around.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I've also found that the car generally sticks to the center of the lane, whereas a human driver will bias away from the car being passed if the lane on the other side is open. And I agree that I think the difference people feel (that it's "magnetically" attracted to vehicles being passed) is simply because the car stays in the center of the lane vs. biasing away.

In my Real-Time Commute On Autopilot video, I mention this behavior around the 20:15 mark. Also, if you pay attention to the video around this time, as autopilot is driving me through traffic on a 3-lane urban road, you'll notice that the car isn't pulling toward any of the cars.

• Informative x 1
  8. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Don't buy the car for AP! Or do, but just know it is gen 1 stuff. You must keep a hand on or near the wheel or you'll be in a wreck sooner or later, because AP will change lanes into an occupied space (mine has done this twice), drift onto the shoulder of the road and continue driving down the shoulder, drift across lanes and generally drive like a 15 year old with a learner's permit. Its impressive at first, but its not reliable in its present form.

9. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I've noticed every car I've owned sometimes gets pulled toward certain trucks when passing. Always assumed it was just the turbulent air flow around the truck.

10. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Try this one: A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot