Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Dent and Two Surprising Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a dent fixed in the same place in the Bay Area. Labor was $70 an hr at a Tesla cert shop-Chiltons
$8000

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,069
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I always thought Bel-Red auto was a rip. I've heard good things about Queen City and would definitely take my things there despite Bel-Red being closer to me. Also their work is sometimes suspect to people who don't have high end cars.

thats not surprising for corrupt NJ. the one and only repair shop in NJ rapes everyone on their pricing because they know they are the only certified shop and they can charge whatever they feel like it, right up to just below the level where an insurance company would declare it totaled so that they can collect all the money and laugh all the way to the bank. seriously. one other owner got into a minor front end accident and that shop quoted $45k. yes thats right, $45k for minor damage. MOB-like shop that's for sure. honestly if the battery costs $40k in itself you might as well just buy an entire brand new "shell" from Tesla off the production line and just swap your battery pack in as that'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than paying $130/hr in labor to a corrupt repair shop.

I had the unfortunate experience of using the NJ shop that is certified a number of years ago for my Jaguar and they were incompetent and dishonest. And no they weren't even nice. Steer far from them and go to the Pa shop. Well worth the hour's drive.

Were these quotes based on paying cash or with the negotiated insurance discounts?

I told the shop that I may pay cash or use insurance depending on amount. The interesting thing was Farmers just wrote me a check for the Queen City amount. No fuss at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Queen City did some body work on my Audi and it was very well done. They are certified by Audi to work on aluminum bodies such as R8s. Both the insurance appraisal and paint less dent repair technician I spoke to highly recommended them.

I just took my Tesla to Queen City for repair. It has slight dent and scratch on the fender under the tail light.
Bel-Red estimate was $5k while Queen City was $1500. Geico estimate was $1300 and Queen City agreed to do the work for $1300.

The only problem is It's going to take them over a week to complete the job.
I am having Tesla withdrawal symptom.

I am going with Queen City even though my insurance is paying for it.

Is this normal that insurance pays for it in full even when it's your fault?

Never had a dent in my cars before that I went to get fixed, so I've never had to make a car insurance claim.

I'm strongly considering getting a Tesla and was wondering if this is some sort of special insurance coverage? or just normal? or normal because it's a $100k car?

Is this normal that insurance pays for it in full even when it's your fault?

Never had a dent in my cars before that I went to get fixed, so I've never had to make a car insurance claim.

I'm strongly considering getting a Tesla and was wondering if this is some sort of special insurance coverage? or just normal? or normal because it's a $100k car?

The following info is based on my experience with insurance in Washington state. Things maybe different elsewhere, but I think this is pretty standard in general.

It is not "special" insurance. You could get it for any car. This type of coverage is called comprehensive and collision insurance. It is optional coverage (not legally required), though banks often demand that you have both comprehensive and collision insurance if they have financed your purchase. Generally speaking, the combination of these two coverage options will cover most anything that happens to your vehicle, and even aftermarket accessories with some specific exceptions. It covers damaged caused by you (like running into a pole), certain crimes like theft or vandalism, or acts of God, like a tree falling onto your car or something. There are some things that are usually not covered. One obvious one is that it won't cover damaged caused if you yourself use your vehicle while committing a crime. It also generally doesn't cover damage caused by driving through deep water when it could have been reasonably avoided.

Depending on different factors, making a claim against your comprehensive insurance can cause your rates to go up in the future, plus there's a deductible, so it's better to get small repairs, like door dings and such, taken care of yourself. Comprehensive + collision insurance can cover the entire cost of your vehicle, so in the event that it's completely totaled for example, even if it's your fault, you'll get the full value for it.

Obviously, this is my opinion, but it's generally a good idea to get comprehensive and collision coverage on a new, expensive vehicle, unless you are able to afford tens of thousands of dollars of repairs if necessary.

=====

I too, recently got work done at Queen City Auto Rebuild. Not only were they recommended by multiple folks, they were also half the price of the shop that Tesla Seattle Service recommended to me (they recommended Pacific Auto Body, which perhaps not coincidentally, is just a walk across the street). The work looks great.

I had Queen City do some work on the front of my car and they did a perfect job. The cost was very reasonable, and they matched the Signature Red perfectly.
I wish I would have seen these posts prior. I had a minor accident last month with my Tesla. The insurance will be covering it; however, I feel like the price is crazy after seeing these posts... More importantly, I have not been happy with the customer service (or lack of) provided by Bel Red.

I was told on Nov 11th that all parts were received & my car would be done in 2 weeks. I was then told early in the week of Thanksgiving that due to the holiday the car would not be done...(apparently they couldn't anticipate the holiday/see it on their calendar?!). We'll thanks for calling me and letting me know this (I had to call to find this out)...

Here we are 4 weeks later and still no car or completion date..... In fact, I called up yesterday and no one knew when the car would be done and get this ---I was told yesterday the parts weren't all in.... I'm getting really frustrated with this shop....

My advice, Run to a different place.... I'm tired of unreturned phone calls, poor planning, and excuses.

I would get a PDR place to give you an estimate before you commit to anything. The tail light can probably be buffed out and it looks like you have paint protector film on the rear bumper. If so you can remove it and see if it can be buffed out.

I wish I would have seen these posts prior. I had a minor accident last month with my Tesla. The insurance will be covering it; however, I feel like the price is crazy after seeing these posts... More importantly, I have not been happy with the customer service (or lack of) provided by Bel Red.

I was told on Nov 11th that all parts were received & my car would be done in 2 weeks. I was then told early in the week of Thanksgiving that due to the holiday the car would not be done...(apparently they couldn't anticipate the holiday/see it on their calendar?!). We'll thanks for calling me and letting me know this (I had to call to find this out)...

Here we are 4 weeks later and still no car or completion date..... In fact, I called up yesterday and no one knew when the car would be done and get this ---I was told yesterday the parts weren't all in.... I'm getting really frustrated with this shop....

My advice, Run to a different place.... I'm tired of unreturned phone calls, poor planning, and excuses.

Update: Delayed another week....Apparently all the parts are in, the information I was given yesterday was not correct... My car has been sitting around since there "is only one Tesla certified technician" and he is splitting his time between many cars.

the reason why the price was so different is because the tesla certified place actually gets paid $130/hr from insurance for the work...

i have a friend who has a Tesla ranger station working out of his shop and he repairs them as well. he said theat Insurance pays him $55-$60/hr for a Lexus and $130/hr for a Tesla.

i guess insurance thinks that aluminum work cost twice as much to repair... (not true)

the reason why the price was so different is because the tesla certified place actually gets paid $130/hr from insurance for the work...

i have a friend who has a Tesla ranger station working out of his shop and he repairs them as well. he said theat Insurance pays him $55-$60/hr for a Lexus and $130/hr for a Tesla.

i guess insurance thinks that aluminum work cost twice as much to repair... (not true)

Pushing out aluminum dents is not as easy as steel dents, requires additional skills, and merits a higher rate. Steel has a memory and often pops right back into shape with some pressure. Aluminum does not, and sometimes has to be heated. Too hot and you can mess up the paint. I'd also check out the specific experience and references of someone who purports to repair aluminum dents.