Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first ding, how much does a trunk lid cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I have my first ding on my Y after 13 months of driving, my own fault. I put my lunch in the trunk, didn't close the trunk telling myself I would close it from inside, then drove out of the garage with it open. The trunk lid hit the metal handle of the garage door and it put a gouge in the paint and metal on top of the trunk, distorted the curved edge a little. I have an appointment at the service center 8/19, USAA has pre-approved a little under $1000 to repair and repaint the area. I was wondering if anyone knew the cost of a brand new, painted trunk lid so I can consider paying the extra to get it installed vs having the ding repaired. My insurance gives me a loaner for 8 weeks. Will attach pics from cell phone after I post this.

Pics

Attachments

• 20210806_093946.jpg
    20210806_093946.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 20210806_093953.jpg
    20210806_093953.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 861
If you choose to get a new hatch, you are also going to have to remove the rear glass and install it on the new one. You may have sealing issues with the glass afterwards as well as alignment issues when the bodyshop fiddles with the install of the new hatch.

Trunk lid replacement: $$$$$$

My opinion: Take it to a reputable body shop. I don't believe it needs to be Tesla authorized. This sort of repair should be easy, for a GOOD shop that knows what they're doing.

Sorry for your accident. I know it's everyone's nightmare.

I've come across several threads where Model Y's were totaled due to rear lift gate damage. My bet is that it's going to be very, very expensive. Just my guess. You might try searching this forum and YouTube for rear hatch damage???
I highly doubt a new rear hatch will total a newish Y. Must be more damage.

My first quote on a new hatch was <$3K, getting a second quote from a Tesla body shop and will report back.

OP, glad all is well!

Attachments

• C0C7E387-F232-4B36-A231-CAE42AC214CC.jpeg
    C0C7E387-F232-4B36-A231-CAE42AC214CC.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 853
My wife did that with her minivan probably 15 years ago. But she also tore the entire garage door torsion spring and track mount off of the wall.
Somehow she was able to close the garage door when she was done with it.
When I got home, the garage door wouldn't open - so I went inside a different way to see what was going on.
I asked her what happened, and her response was "I don't know...". I could see the same gash and dent on the tailgate of the van when I inspected her van.
It was a pain in the a$$ to fix the garage door. The van is long gone, and I still give her sh!t about it today... :) Be thankful that you didn't ruin the garage door too!!

Reactions: laservet