Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first few days with the 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First observations, maybe I don't know how yet because I haven’t read the manual, but these are the things that I noticed compared to our early 2014 S, keep in mind my S is an older S with no autopilot, so I added which I liked better in which car.

- 100% charge only charged to 306, 90% was 276 (Shouldn't this be 310? for new car, my S85 was 365 @ 100%)
- seats are more comfortable/software/cushier then my S seats, which have always been pretty hard. - 3
- "stiffer" ride then the S - MS
- my left side windows auto up and down do not work. - issue
- the non-leather headliner in the Model 3 is nicer then my non-premium S headliner - 3
- rate of charge is faster then the S by about 9-10 mph with a 40A because of the efficiency - 3
- much more efficient then the S85 in terms amount of useable miles from the LR vs the S85 - 3
- autopilot pretty much worked right away - 3
- the frunk is tiny, but I only use the S frunk on long trips with lots of stuff to carry. - MS
- I like the auto-present door handles of the S, but the 3's design works out well also, and hopefully less issues. - Tie
- keyfob vs phone vs card - so far I like the fob better, may just be something I have to get used to. Don't know if I should always carry the keycard with me or not, seems like it, but then I don't leave the keycard by the door to take when I leave. The keycard is darn thin. - MS
- have had issues with the phone unlocking the car twice out of 30+ times? did forget house keys because I didn't pick up keys when I left.
- back seats seem to sit really low, so your legs are sort of a weird position to me if you have longer legs - MS
- no where near the space of the S in the back - MS
- my S had no center console, but I do like the 3's - 3
- The trunk in the 3 is hard to close, love the electric close of the S - MS
- 3 doors do seem harder to close so far - MS
- FM Radio - it's weird in the 3 and didn't work for a while, still figuring it out, because it has to "search" for stations first vs you just tune what you want. No AM, yes I do listen to AM for sports - MS
- Premium sound system in the 3 is way better than the STANDARD sound system in my MS - 3
- The right scroll wheel on the 3 doesn't seem do anything while driving vs in the MS it can be used to make a phone call. Have to check the manual on that - MS
- Controls for the mirror/steering wheel are all done with the two wheels, that was pretty cool - 3
- MS trunk can hold 4 sets of golf bags, not sure the 3 can fit more than 2. - MS
- 3 car doesn't appear to sleep yet - doesn't matter if it doesn't drain like the MS
- No calendar integration with the phone – MS
- Seems like More road noise from the 3 could be new tires - MS
- Rear view camera is not even close the S especially looking out in the distance (I believe I have the latest update) - MS
- Navigation – new view in the 3 navigation for turn by turn, but I miss the little turn by turn direction in the main dashboard of the S - Both
- Touchscreen is snappier - 3
- LTE vs 3G as I never upgraded the S - 3
- Need to get used to just having darkness behind the steering wheel
- Climate controls show if it’s doing cooling or heating by being blue or red in the vent view - 3
- Climate control on the S has individual auto for AC/FAN/and directional – 3 seems to only have 1 Auto on or off for everything, I like everything auto with AC off - MS
- Mirrors feel small on the 3 – MS
- random weird clunking noises when the car is parked and locked in the garage
- passenger seatbelt buckle knocks into the B pillar on bumpy roads
- Had moisture in the tail lights on a warm day, even though the car wasn't wet or rained on.

First observations, maybe I don't know how yet because I haven’t read the manual, but these are the things that I noticed compared to our early 2014 S, keep in mind my S is an older S with no autopilot, so I added which I liked better in which car.

- 100% charge only charged to 306, 90% was 276 (Shouldn't this be 310? for new car, my S85 was 365 @ 100%)
- seats are more comfortable/software/cushier then my S seats, which have always been pretty hard. - 3
- the non-leather headliner in the Model 3 is nicer then my non-premium S headliner - 3
- rate of charge is faster then the S by about 9-10 mph with a 40A because of the efficiency - 3
- much more efficient then the S85 in terms amount of useable miles from the LR vs the S85 - 3
- the frunk is tiny, but I only use the S frunk on long trips with lots of stuff to carry. - MS
- I like the auto-present door handles of the S, but the 3's design works out well also, and hopefully less issues. - Tie
- keyfob vs phone vs card - so far I like the fob better, may just be something I have to get used to. Don't know if I should always carry the keycard with me or not, seems like it, but then I don't leave the keycard by the door to take when I leave. The keycard is darn thin. - MS
- have had issues with the phone unlocking the car twice out of 30+ times? did forget house keys because I didn't pick up keys when I left.
- back seats seem to sit really low, so your legs are sort of a weird position to me if you have longer legs - MS
- FM Radio - it's weird in the 3 and didn't work for a while, still figuring it out, because it has to "search" for stations first vs you just tune what you want. No AM, yes I do listen to AM for sports - MS
- Premium sound system in the 3 is way better than the STANDARD sound system in my MS - 3
- The right scroll wheel on the 3 doesn't seem do anything while driving vs in the MS it can be used to make a phone call. Have to check the manual on that - MS
- Controls for the mirror/steering wheel are all done with the two wheels, that was pretty cool - 3
- MS trunk can hold 4 sets of golf bags, not sure the 3 can fit more than 2. - MS
- 3 car doesn't appear to sleep yet - doesn't matter if it doesn't drain like the MS
- Rear view camera is not even close the S especially looking out in the distance (I believe I have the latest update) - MS
- Navigation – new view in the 3 navigation for turn by turn, but I miss the little turn by turn direction in the main dashboard of the S - Both
- Climate controls show if it’s doing cooling or heating by being blue or red in the vent view - 3
- Climate control on the S has individual auto for AC/FAN/and directional – 3 seems to only have 1 Auto on or off for everything, I like everything auto with AC off - MS
- Had moisture in the tail lights on a warm day, even though the car wasn't wet or rained on.

Appreciate the very balanced initial review and comparison. What do you think of the 3 overall? If you were forced to pick one vehicle, would you choose your S or your 3?

Thanks and enjoy!

Not to speak for the OP, but I agree with most of the points above (although I prefer the sportier feel of the 3 over the S) and I would definitely choose the 3 (well, I did, so I suppose that's obvious).

Also, for the OP, my 3 charges to exactly 310 on 100% and to 280 at 90%, I'm not sure why yours doesn't.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
Curious on the keycard, if you are the only driver, why wouldn't it live in your wallet/pocketbook (for a generic answer)? It won't unlock the car accidentally since it will never be that close to the B pillar without you intending it to be....

It's like the old emergency key in the bottom of your wallet... :D

... - my left side windows auto up and down do not work. - issue...
Don't know if you have tried this, but it is usually possible to select auto-up or auto-down by holding the button up for a few seconds after the window is all the way up or holding the button down for a few seconds after the window is all the way down. Doing that again should de-select the auto-up or auto-down feature.

Not to speak for the OP, but I agree with most of the points above (although I prefer the sportier feel of the 3 over the S) and I would definitely choose the 3 (well, I did, so I suppose that's obvious).

Also, for the OP, my 3 charges to exactly 310 on 100% and to 280 at 90%, I'm not sure why yours doesn't.
281 at 90%. Still haven’t pulled trigger for 100%

Appreciate the very balanced initial review and comparison. What do you think of the 3 overall? If you were forced to pick one vehicle, would you choose your S or your 3?

Thanks and enjoy!

That's a tough one, again my S doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles so both have pro's and con's. - I like the interior space of the S, but the comfort of the 3 seats. I like the smaller dimension of the 3 for parking. I like the trunk of the S better. So I think it will depend on the scenario on what I will be doing to determine what car I take. I think the tougher comparison is new S to 3 that would be interesting, then I feel it's just size choice and comfort in ride. I am keeping both cars, so I get to make the choice every time we go into the garage. So just depends. 5 adults in the S easy, crowded in the 3 in my opinion.

Curious on the keycard, if you are the only driver, why wouldn't it live in your wallet/pocketbook (for a generic answer)? It won't unlock the car accidentally since it will never be that close to the B pillar without you intending it to be....

It's like the old emergency key in the bottom of your wallet... :D

Yes, I do carry the keycard in my wallet all the time. Will order spare key cards since they are cheap, but the house keys are connected to the car keys so need to remember those or change my locks to a keypad/internet.....

Would be curious to hear any assessment of ride/handling from folks coming from a BMW 3xx or Audi A4...

I've ridden in a number of B3's and A4's and I say the model 3 is very similar to those. Almost like the S is Lexus and the 3 is Acura. One's more "boatier/cushier" and the other is stiffer and tighter. Just my thoughts.

Don't know if you have tried this, but it is usually possible to select auto-up or auto-down by holding the button up for a few seconds after the window is all the way up or holding the button down for a few seconds after the window is all the way down. Doing that again should de-select the auto-up or auto-down feature.

I did try this and it didn't work twice. Going to try again though since you mentioned it.

I know this wasn't your point here, but maybe you mis-typed or mis-remembered -- Rated Range on the MS85 was 265, not 365...

Yeah meant 265, not 365. :)

Would be curious to hear any assessment of ride/handling from folks coming from a BMW 3xx or Audi A4...

I had an A4 but it's not a very recent one; we also currently have a 2017 Audi A3 e-tron which is a smaller hatchback for those that don't know.

This car is heavier and you can feel that. It feels very solid. I've been too much of a chicken to drive it as spiritedly as I drove the older A4 or even the A3 (which is heavier than the gas version w/battery weight).

I like it on the road, it's pretty darn quiet except for some tire noise depending on road pavement

If you were closer I'd give you a ride..

Add to the list: trip meter on the 3 is a very poor use of space. The car doesn't remember that I had the setting on the trip meter the last time, so I have to slide to see it from the other 4 screens. Also, I can't see all values at once. Trip A, Trip B, This trip, since last charge, and odometer.

IMG_7935.JPG
IMG_7931.JPG

The range displayed after charging finishes depends in part on the battery temperature. I tried a full charge in the morning a few days ago and got less than 310 miles so I waited until it warmed up a bit and tried again. This time I got 311 miles when the charging completed. Your battery temperature might explain why you only got 306 miles on a full charge.

What about exterior styling? Do you prefer the 3? What car do you feel safer in? Which one is cheaper to insure?

I just posted my review of the 3 after renting one for three days. I currently drive a 5spd 2000 323i (E46) that's stock in drivetrain and suspension. The 3 corners flat, has better (read: quicker and more precise) steering response but you feel every little pebble or hole in the road.

After driving the 3 for a week, I can tell you the car is fantastic. Handles well, the right size, seats comfortable, stereo sounds great. Visability is amazing, especially front.
Love all the glass, but car doesn’t seem to bake in the sun. I love the iPhone X is the key, and super easy to switch between our x and our 3. Door handles easy to use, although I find myself pulling my x doors close instead of allowing car to close. The front trunk is great for groceries, using those hooks rather than having them flying around the trunk especially if your bringing a few bottles of wine home. The center screen is really easy to get use to, in fact my wife likes it better than x screen because it’s closer to you. Overall a wonderful car that’s fun to drive. For all you 500,000 waiting, this car worth the wait.

Reactions: EinSV
Coming from an S with air suspension to the 3, the ride definitely feels a lot tighter. So does the steering. But a very nice ride none-the-less. And I'm hoping the road noise is just a function of the new tires. At least now we have speed-based sound leveling and a nice array of speakers, which really helps.

After a while you get used to glancing right instead of down to see driving status, but it would be nice if the designers gave us more options for how to arrange things on the display. I'm hoping that comes in future updates. BTW, the first time you drive at night there's occasional panics that the display in front of you is blank. Oh, wait, it's not there...

The software is BUGGY! I'm on the latest code, and I've had to reboot my car twice in two days to resolve issues. Got it Wednesday night, yesterday my wife had to reboot it because no media would play, and today I had to reboot it because it decided to turn the media volume all the way up. I followed the noise to the garage, turned the volume down, then watched and listened as it climbed right back up. Reboot. The volume started climbing again today just driving, but I turned it down and it stayed there (thank goodness).

The phone card is a work in progress. Maybe the designers were all Apple users, but Android phones need the Tesla app running to be used as a key, so that in itself sucks. But even then, the phone often just hangs at "connecting", so I highly recommend keeping the key card in your wallet! The app buttons can still unlock the doors and keyless start the car from the phone like with the S (had to do that today). Disabling and re-enabling remote access in the car resolved the "connecting" issue.

It definitely feels smaller, but that's why my wife likes it.

The Model 3 is very much a work in progress, as demonstrated by how many features aren't enabled yet and how buggy the software sometimes feels. Like with my 2013 Model S (traded in), that's what happens when you're an early adopter. You have to expect that you're also a lab rat.