Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first longish distance journey in a Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few years back I was an avid reader of stories of relatively long distance EV journeys, especially in the UK to see how people coped with the infrastructure here. It seemed like those making them were intrepid pioneers in a new era for transportation. I have recently returned from my first such trip in my new Model 3 LR AWD. It was from London to Scotland (the Scottish Borders and Edinburgh specifically) and back. Total distance was 964 miles.

In terms of technical issues, the car proved pretty reliable. The brake warning message I had initially encountered (New Model 3 brake issue) did not resurface. I did however get a "Power reduced Exit and re-enter car - may restore operation" warning message near the start of the first leg, and a quick look on the internet didn't fill me with optimism. When it appeared, we had been stuck in completely stationary traffic on the motorway for around 1 hour, on one of the hottest days of the year, with the air-conditioning off and windows open (to try and reduce the smell of children's vomit), and the car on (albeit in park mode), so it wasn't normal conditions. However, I followed the suggestion on screen, and stopped the car at the nearest service station, got everyone out, locked it, and left it for a bit. When we got back the message was gone, and has not reappeared yet after driving over 1000 miles.

In terms of route planning, on the first leg of the journey it suggested a route taking me to one supercharger stop with 13% battery remaining and not much more at the final destination, and on the way back the route it planned also had only one stop, which I'd get to with only 5% battery remaining, and a warning appearing that I'd have to keep below 70mph to make it. I wasn't particularly comfortable with this suggestion to be honest. I need to stop every 2-3 hours to stretch my legs and get the children to the bathroom anyway. I'd prefer the route planner to have a configurable "keep a minimum X% battery" option.

As it was, on the way up, I ended up stopping at the first suggested supercharger stop anyway, with 20% remaining charge instead of the original estimated 13%. Presumably this was due to all the work on the M6 meaning that much of the journey until that point had involved crawling along with 40mph or 50mph limits.

I also noticed that the "nearest supercharger" on the mobile app often missed out nearby ones, or suggested ones in completely the opposite direction. And even on the routeplanner in the car, I wasn't convinced of its accuracy, with it not showing me the Keele Northbound when I was close to it leaving me wondering if it was one of those that only had a southbound supercharger with no easy access from northbound to the southbound services.

Here's the supercharger stats:
  • Charnock Richard - got there after 208 miles actual distance, using 217 miles of "charge", and added 209 miles range in 38 mins of charging, 52 kWh
  • Gretna Green - after 109 miles actual distance, using 118 miles of "charge", added 118 miles range, 30 kWh
  • Penrith Tebay Southbound - after 110 miles actual distance, using 162 miles of "charge", added 165 miles range in 39 mins, 41 kWh
  • Keele Southbound - after 115 miles actual distance, using 127 miles of "charge", added 119 miles of range in 29 mins, 29 kWh
When in Scotland I used ChargePlace Scotland | Scotland's Public EV Charging Network , which I had signed up for in advance (paid for the NFC card given advice that it is better to have a physical card in case of poor mobile reception). The first place I tried was at the local police station, which I thought would be a nice safe place to leave my car for a while. The site reported 3 bays with 3 connectors. In actual fact there was only 1 marked bay, which was occupied (with a Nissan Leaf using the CHAdeMO connector), although there was one park to the side where the CCS and Type 2 cables reached with a bit of careful manoeuvring. But to cut a longish story short, it seems that the (fairly old looking) charger can only charge 1 car at a time even if that 1 car is fully charged, and the CCS and Type 2 connectors were out of service anyway. So I moved to a different location, by a hotel. That one reported 1 bay with 2 connectors, when in actual fact there were 4 bays with 4 Type 2 connectors. These were also a lot newer looking, with the ChargePlace Scotland branding. There was a Model S charging, but I had no issues with the other charger (at least from connector B - couldn't get connector A working) and got around 40 miles of charge per hour for free, which was nice.

Anyway, I suppose in some ways it is good that I can report that I don't particularly feel like an intrepid pioneer myself, because it all felt pretty routine, and no more difficult than a similar journey in a car powered by exploding fossil fuels.

Interesting, nice trip report. I drive regularly up to the Scottish Borders and onwards to Edinburgh or Glasgow so very useful.

One piece of clarification - are there Tesla superchargers at Keele northbound AND southbound then? It's a regular stop en route north for me so would be useful.

One piece of clarification - are there Tesla superchargers at Keele northbound AND southbound then? It's a regular stop en route north for me so would be useful.

I can confirm there are superchargers at Keele Southbound because I actually stopped there. The routeplanner wasn't showing me Keele Northbound as an option at the time when I was going northbound though, but according to Keele Northbound Supercharger | Tesla UK and the last post on Keele Services Superchargers, Northbound? they do seem to be operational.

That would be a bit daft wouldn't it? Not being offered a stop just because a superchargers a couple of hours away were fully occupied when route was planned does sound rather stupid to me. One thing showing how many in use, but omitting to show any I suspect is probably filtering things a bit far.