Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First MAJOR problem @ 10,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW - The trick when putting in neutral is to turn off the car (from the menu) ASAP so it doesn't go back in Park. I was the only one able to do it - even Tesla didn't know about this trick

I was actually going to mention that very thing as I'd read about it yesterday over in the "12V-of-death" thread. It was probably your post I'm referencing, Pat.

Rather annoying that when the vehicle has a dead 12V battery and is totally unusable, to make life easier it also locks the parking break on. Curious to know the engineering justification for that.

Hey Patp.. we meet again :)

Can you tell me more about your issue ?.. did you post about it ?.. link ?... i tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Yep! I posted a while ago but don't remember where. Will try to find it.

Exact same error messages. It seems to be an issue with the "high voltage contactors". Maybe we got a bad batch as our cars were probably produced at the same time.

Also, I had my motor / PEM replaced recently. Hope you won't have this problem too.

I remember a fact that was described on the Tesla training video for first responders:

A safety feature of EVs and Hybrids is that the high voltage batter is only ever "engaged" due to a physical connection that is made by the 12 volt battery. This is why the first responders only have to cut the power cable under the frunk hood to be able to safely work on the car. If there is no 12 volt connection (or it is completely dead), the physical connection for the high voltage battery mechanically drops even if the car is on and driving.

Tesla EV Safety Training - YouTube

Wow I had the exact same situation last month (trying to jump it and the tow truck after). My 12v battery failure caused an internal battery failure. They fixed everything tho. Hopefully tesla will allow ppl to go to tesla service for replacements before the failure occurs.

I'm not sure I'd call it "very early" for VIN 2113. Heck, I wouldn't call any VIN over 200 hundred "very early".

Umm. ok. Not sure what we are supposed to do with this observation.

Perhaps we need a whole thread dedicated to whether or not 200 is a very early VIN but I would certainly say it was. As a person who is driving a new loaner car at the moment I can verify that LOTS has changed in the car even since my car was made in March.

Just a quick update, I got the car back yesterday...Tesla service was great, all is good now with the new battery.....interesting note, with the new battery I get 380 km rated when charged overnight, when before, I was getting 360km rated ( when charged to 86% full - the Tesla default ).

Wow I had the exact same situation last month (trying to jump it and the tow truck after).

i emailed ownership that they should develop a "Tow Mode", when in such situtations...i would encourage us all to email ownership as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, was your car left in the garage or not driven for more than 2 weeks?

No, not at all, I drive it everyday.

No need to email ownership about Tow mode. Firmware version 5 is rolling out even as we speak, and it implements Tow mode.

interesting, as I rec'd below response today.

"Although I cannot comment with complete certainty, I do believe this feature has been evaluated. We may have a tow mode in the future. I will make sure and pass along your recommendation in any case, so our engineers can establish areas for improvement."

Just pulling up this old thread to report I experienced the same type of error with my VIN15231 2-3 weeks back. PRND turnet red and no go.
Solution: Drivetrain replacement. Happened on a wednesday, got a P85+ loaner and got my baby back the friday after. :)

I think most of the model s owner are within warranty period (maybe very few % out of it)

We will know more in 12-18 months from now...

Given that Model S production only started last year I think every car is still under warranty.

We are going to have to wait until 2017 to see what kind of problems are likely to occur in out of warranty cars.

Given that Model S production only started last year I think every car is still under warranty.
We are going to have to wait until 2017 to see what kind of problems are likely to occur in out of warranty cars.
It depends which component you mean. I'm fairly confident we have at least one Model S over 50k miles by now.
Warranty
4 year or 50,000 mile, whichever comes first, new vehicle limited warranty
60 kWh battery has an 8 year or 125,000 mile, whichever comes first, warranty
85 kWh battery has an 8 year, unlimited mile warranty