Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First MAJOR problem @ 10,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zas

Model X 90D
Dec 24, 2012
Toronto
So I was driving to the office today, and came out of a red light, drover for about 5 seconds, and then felt a sudden thud, and looked at my console and saw the " P R N D " in red and a warning saying " Car Shutting Down - Pull over safely" - see below.

Capture.JPG

So i pulled over into a nearby parking lot, and called Tesla service, they asked me to restart the car - Power Off - then Power On via the brake pedal - which i did, and the " P R N D " returned to white, but the car would not go in drive, and i rec'd the below errors.

Capture1.JPG

The Tesla tech said he was checking the car remotely and came to the conclusion that it needs to be serviced and will arrange for a tow.

Up till now, this car was perfect, so it reminds me to the fact that we are all still beta testers for this revolutionary car, and so far so good.. but lets just hope it stays that way, and this was one off issue... as i still love this car.

I hope all works out well for you Zas, I have great faith in Tesla looking after their customers, It reminds me that one of my weakness's has always been the electronic age. Why on such a revolutionary vehicle with an amazing battery technology do we have to rely on an old electrical storage system such as the lead acid battery. I have gone thru several expensive batteries especially on rough service equipment where bumps and falls end up with broken cells and useless batteries. Maybe i can get a cheap education why we aren't just pulling a separate 12v from the battery pack, even if it had to be an isolated section of the battery in case of main battery failure so safety items like the emerge brake and hazard lights might still be allowed to operate.

Looks like the dreaded 12v problem....

I dont think so, as it happened after a 'thud' whilest driving... i dont recal reading about a similar 12V issue in the threads.

- - - Updated - - -

@Zas: spooky but very cool Röyksopp track you were listening to at the time... I might have never known about it had your car not had its mishap :)

https://soundcloud.com/royksopp/forsaken-cowboy

YES ! - and I also only found out about Röyksopp after Tesla Slacker radio service played it while playing similar music to songs i liked.. i have found lots of great new music through Slacker. Here's the link for the track i was listening too " Keyboard Milk " - https://soundcloud.com/royksopp/keyboard-milk

Last edited:
Noticed some numbers in your display.. Lifetime 293wh/km energy usage. You only get about 260 km on a full charge?
What is your rated range on 90%? Or is that 90% we see in the pic?

My rated range is about 360 km @ 90%.. i have never had any issue with range.. the most i have driven it in one day was 300km.. and it still had about 60 km left .. so its pretty accurate at 360 km rated @ 90%

- - - Updated - - -

293Wh/km equate to 471Wh/mile.. hes a very spirited driver, it seems :smile:

OR --- i live in a cold climate !.. you'll notice my Trip Meter "B" shows 257 Wh/km - which was started in the summer.. i wanted to see the average usage during the summer vs. winter.. and its about a 60 Wh/km difference.. and my driving pattern is very regular.. mostly office-home..

My rated range is about 360 km @ 90%.. i have never had any issue with range.. the most i have driven it in one day was 300km.. and it still had about 60 km left .. so its pretty accurate at 360 km rated @ 90%

- - - Updated - - -

OR --- i live in a cold climate !.. you'll notice my Trip Meter "B" shows 257 Wh/km - which was started in the summer.. i wanted to see the average usage during the summer vs. winter.. and its about a 60 Wh/km difference.. and my driving pattern is very regular.. mostly office-home..

Alright. In FW 5.5 that they use in norway it now says Typical range in the main display.. Also semes like this measures the same way as the 360 you got

** Update **

So after a 2 hour wait, the first tow truck driver came in a normal tow truck ( not a flat bed ) - and on top of that - he had never done a Tesla before! - and so I got worried called the local Tesla Service manager ( whom had already contacted me before ) - and he then told the tow truck company to send another flat bed tow truck - which I was told, would take another 2 hours .. so i waited ..

I must say, Tesla's service team was great.. i was getting calls from the local Service Manager on Sat. afternoon, then the Tesla technician called me giving me updates on what he thinks could be wrong with the car based on the car logs that he was pulling from my car - and that he was in communication with Tesla engineers in their Fremont factory, to figure out what was wrong. The technician then actually drove out to the car himself to boost the 12V battery, as the battery had gone dead - and they could no longer communicate with the car to pull the latest logs. ( pics below on how he boosted it )

Capture.JPG

After boosting he then connected to the car with his laptop via the internet, and then again through a direct cable connection found inside a panel on the drivers left side ( see below ) - he mentioned there were many different ways to communicate with the car - lots of redundancy.

Capture3.JPG

After sending the logs to Fremont, the car was ready for the flat bed - but now the problem was that the car would not go into Neutral - it was stuck on Park and as the technician disabled the E-brake, the brake would come on again just one second later - he couldnt get it to stay in neutral - so this forced the tow truck driver to use 'skidders' to tow it on the flat bed - this was VERY painful to watch ( video below ) - but the tow guy was great as we were impressed with his skills in both loading and unloading the car.

In the end the car got to Tesla's service station and I rec'd a loaner Tesla ( 60kW version ) - the Tesla service team was great.. I had a BMW 745 before, and I never got so much concern and care from a BMW service centre on a weekday - let alone all this happening on Saturday - and getting a loaner at 6pm Saturday from a technician whom came back to work on Saturday just to help me out - so the service team was fantastic !

As for the car, the preliminary thoughts are that the 'thud' sound was the connectors of the high voltage battery disconnecting for 'some unknown reason' ( maybe safety related ? , over heating ? , faulty ? ).. but the technician was told by the Fremont engineers to replace the entire battery - this was the preliminary thoughts - as I am sure they will do more diagnostics.. but if that is the case, then I will get a brand new 85kW battery and get the car back Monday sometime.. The tech mentioned this was very rare and they hardly get any Tesla's coming in on trucks.. so lets just hope this is a one-off issue

I'll post updates once i have more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zas, thanks for sharing your unfortunate situation......not all that bad to get a new battery at 10k km.

Keep us informed, even though it may be a random situation. Our new SC in Las Vegas has 5-6 batteries in their inventory, which seems like a lot to me. Maybe Tesla is planning for an expedient replacement strategy, so they get the used batteries back for detailed analysis I like the battery replacement strategy :smile: My car has almost 10k miles and has been essentially flawless(aside from all those little things). I'll keep my singers crossed for a replacement new battery between 10 and 20k miles :wink:

So I was driving to the office today, and came out of a red light, drover for about 5 seconds, and then felt a sudden thud, and looked at my console and saw the " P R N D " in red and a warning saying " Car Shutting Down - Pull over safely" - see below.

View attachment 27905

So i pulled over into a nearby parking lot, and called Tesla service, they asked me to restart the car - Power Off - then Power On via the brake pedal - which i did, and the " P R N D " returned to white, but the car would not go in drive, and i rec'd the below errors.

View attachment 27906

The Tesla tech said he was checking the car remotely and came to the conclusion that it needs to be serviced and will arrange for a tow.

Up till now, this car was perfect, so it reminds me to the fact that we are all still beta testers for this revolutionary car, and so far so good.. but lets just hope it stays that way, and this was one off issue... as i still love this car.

how did you get a rated range of 344 miles???

If I can give some feedback on the terms you used, I don't consider us beta testers -- we're certainly early adopters, but not beta testers. Beta testing implies that it's not production quality yet, and that it's pre-release.

What you experienced is a failure, which could happen on any kind of device, much less vehicle. My 2004 Suburban regularly "guesses" the position of the transfer case incorrectly on start-up, resulting in the computer thinking it's in 4WD-Low when it's really in 2WD-High. I don't call that beta any more than the issue you're having.

Just some food for thought.

Exactly the problem I had at about 8000 km. They had to replace the whole battery pack (CAN Sig 09)

BTW - The trick when putting in neutral is to turn off the car (from the menu) ASAP so it doesn't go back in Park. I was the only one able to do it - even Tesla didn't know about this trick

I bet you you'll get a new pack...

Exactly the problem I had at about 8000 km. They had to replace the whole battery pack (CAN Sig 09)

BTW - The trick when putting in neutral is to turn off the car (from the menu) ASAP so it doesn't go back in Park. I was the only one able to do it - even Tesla didn't know about this trick

I bet you you'll get a new pack...

Hey Patp.. we meet again :)

Can you tell me more about your issue ?.. did you post about it ?.. link ?... i tried searching but couldn't find anything.

- - - Updated - - -

If I can give some feedback on the terms you used, I don't consider us beta testers -- we're certainly early adopters, but not beta testers. Beta testing implies that it's not production quality yet, and that it's pre-release.

Yes, i was speaking more figuratively, rather than literally... the Model S is definitely an amazing high quality product, ... but as we are the first to use this technology in such a car, we are in essence testing its viability for the future.