Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first new car experience: Model Y Long-Range, 7-Seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

Excited new Tesla Model Y Long Range owner.

A little backstory on how I came to Tesla:

I'm married with 3 kiddos (8, 7, and 2) and live in Los Angeles, which is one big Tesla advertisement! I'd been interested in Tesla for a while and both my wife and I needed car upgrades. Our 'family' car was a Jeep Patriot 2016 and our (read: my) second car was (and still is) a Ford Focus. Had always bought used up to this point. I knew we needed a family car first and my wife's birthday is coming up (she mainly drives the Jeep as a personal car and then I'll drive it when the whole family is together) and I asked her friend what car she might be in to (thinking maybe a range rover or an expedition) and she said a Tesla Model X!

Well, I looked into it and fell down the rabbit hole. We went to a local showroom on Christmas Eve and test drove the X, learned about the Y and the 7-seater option, and put down $250 to get a custom build. Black on black, MYLR, 7 seats. We REALLY didn't expect it to arrive by the end of the year to take advantage of the promotion since it was a 7-seater and were really mentally preparing ourselves to have to return to the decision of Tesla vs no Tesla in March.

Well, on December 28th I noticed my EDD changed from 'December 2022 - March 2023' to 'December 29th-31'. Hmm. I called Tesla and they said it probably didn't mean anything as a VIN wasn't assigned. A few hours later, a VIN popped up. HMMMM. Now things were starting to happen. I scheduled our delivery date for the 31st and started getting ducks in a row. My wife and I were accepting this was really happening. I told my friends. Then, on the morning of the 30th, the VIN disappeared. Poof. After some digging, Tesla said that the car failed inspection in transit. They would look and if anything became open, they'd let me know. I got assigned another VIN a few hours later but they quickly told me that was an error, it was supposed to be to someone else. They called and asked if we'd be willing to take a 5-seater, but the 7-seater was a deal-breaker for us. They did have one that was gray and 7-seats but my wife looked up the color and just couldn't bring herself to do it. I was pretty disappointed (thought saying 'no' to that one was basically sealing our fate).

We basically lost hope. "It was too good to be true." Then, at about 4pm, they matched me to a VIN and called to say they had the car, black on black, long-range, 20-inche rims, 7 seater, in Burbank. "Has it passed inspection?" I asked. "Yep, it's good to go." I scheduled the deliver for the next morning at 8am.

Both me and my wife didn't sleep well. Was it coming?

At 8:30 I got a text saying 'your Tesla is on its way', I peaked outside, and there it was! A minute later I received a text saying 'your Tesla has arrived!'

It's been raining here and was raining on day of delivery, but here she is:

image1.jpeg

I love it. Honestly, it's technically my wife's car and I'm respecting that as much as I can (and I hope to get a Model 3 or so to replace my Ford Focus around this time next year), but it's a really cool experience. This is my first car. I never grew up knowing much about cars, didn't get a license until I was 22 (grew up in a metropolitan area where I didn't need one), and usually don't take the best care of them. For example, someone vandalized my Focus December 2021 by jumping on its hood and caving it in and I didn't get around to getting it fixed until 6 months later.

Now, we've already ordered seat covers, floor mats, cleaning supplies, a screen protector, and a vacuum. Got a lot of stuff from Teslarati. The good news is, when I get invested, I get REALLY invested.

So, as not only a Tesla newbie but a new car newbie, what should I educate myself on to keep this thing looking as good as day 1? I bought the Teslarati cleaning kit (Tesla Car Cleaning Kit (Waterless Car Wash, Shampoo, Interior, Glass)) and some microfibers. Is self-washing the way to go? Do people ever get cleaning services to come to their home to clean the car, like home cleaning? I know drive-throughs aren't recommended, but are hand-wash cleaning services usually good?

If you made it this far, thanks for the read and excited to be part of the community!

Congratulations on your first brand new car and especially on a Tesla. I took delivery of a 5 seat white MYLR on 12/31st with the induction wheels.

If you have the money I would invest in a ceramic coating for the car. Especially being a black car you will have to wash it weekly to keep it looking decent. I used to own a black Lexus and I like detailing my cars as it's a hobby and it was so hard to keep a black car looking pristine. I swear I'd wash it and drive it and it would be dirty again. I swore never black after 3 years of owning it haha. Anyways the ceramic coating will help you avoid contamination and when you do your weekly hand wash (look up two bucket method) you can achieve excellent results easier and topping it off with something like Gyeon Ceramic Detailer will keep the coating going for years. It's a big rabbit hole too. I won't even mention PPF... I don't think it's worth it. It's a car. It will be daily driven. It will get damage at some point. Enjoy the car!

Congrats!

How does the back two seats work with your kids?

My advice is come up some good systems that you can keep and repeat and get your kids involved. Regularly keeping it clean inside and out will go a long ways and keep it from being a 5 hour task. Plus your kids can help while learning how to take care of a car.

Congrats fellow 7-seater! Word of warning....if you plan to put your kids in the 3rd row, there are no vents back there and in the summer, it gets hot. Might be ok for a down the street trip to transport 7 people but no long drives unless whoever is seated back there doesn't mind the heat. It's fine if you fold down the middle armrest (basically 6 seat config) and configure the middle vents to point back there. Get yourself a 2 piece roof shade also for the summer.

Looking into ceramic coating! I had looked up PPF in lieu of receiving delivery and saw it's almost 10,000! I just got a quote from a local place for ceramic at about $650. So much more doable.

We have our youngest (2 years old) in car seat in the middle row and our two boys (7 and 8) like the back/3rd row, only they find it difficult to move the seat forward to access it. Maneuvering it myself, it does take some strength to get it forward and I wish there was a one-button solution. It's been cold and rainy lately so haven't experienced the warming of the back yet.

Maybe it’s because of the car seat, but the button on the top of the seat back slides the seat forward and then kicks it up a bit for access.

Admittedly still not easy and not a lot of space back there but it’s one button.

I use that button but it doesn't go up automatically. It makes the sound but then I have to slide it up and push it forward. I was wondering if that was the full function of it. So yours is just one push and it does it automatically?

It's on the side without the car seat.

I’m probably being loose with the word ‘automatically’. It needs assistance, but you can hear the motor make 2 separate moves and with a bit of assistance usually kicks up pretty easy. Probably very specific to each car and the tolerances in the rails.

Yeah, it automatically kicks up once it's pushed far enough up. But getting it that far up, is not an issue for me but I don't think the kids have the height/leverage and my wife doesn't like doing strenuous things (physically, is a powerhouse otherwise....she may be listening).

Do any of you trust places that hand-wash car or best to just do it yourself? Also, is waxing a thing and would it be after every wash?

Appreciate the guidance!

Yeah, it automatically kicks up once it's pushed far enough up. But getting it that far up, is not an issue for me but I don't think the kids have the height/leverage and my wife doesn't like doing strenuous things (physically, is a powerhouse otherwise....she may be listening).

Do any of you trust places that hand-wash car or best to just do it yourself? Also, is waxing a thing and would it be after every wash?

Appreciate the guidance!
That's why you should get your car ceramic coated. No need to wax after you wash with the two bucket method. You just top up the coating with a product like Gyeon Ceramic Detailer. It's literally spray and wipe off with microfiber. Doing this once a week or 3 times a month will keep your car looking great for years