Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[My first post to TMC] Cost of owning a Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

This is my very first post to TMC. Just placed an order of the Model X 75D the Friday, now it is the 1 week clock ticking time before thing is knocked and we plan to use the Model X as our daily car: transport kids to school, occasionally road trips to another state or off-road trips to the camping site. While we're exciting about the new car, we worry about the cost of owning it in long-term. Read some thread online that people complains the high maintaining cost for a Tesla Model S like:
1. The painting is soft.
2. Insurance company doesn't cover a lot for Tesla than other.
3. The repair parts cost.
4. Etc.

Can you please share your experience? Appreciate!

All I can say is that in the 3 years/ 30k miles that we owned a Model S, the only cost we had was for a set of winter tires since we had performance version that comes with summer tires. We also had prepaid for annual maintenance of $475/yr, which ended up not really being needed. Other than that, we paid approx $250 to replace the driver side mirror that we had broken. As for the paint, I hear that it is softer due to California regulations, not sure though. We had the front of the car wrapped in Xpel ultimate (btw Metropolitan Detail in bellevue is great) which not only protects the paint from chips, it also makes it easier to keep clean. We got our Model X also wrapped there. We absolutely have love our Model X, and thoroughly enjoyed the S too! You will love it!

Thanks Saxena for sharing your experience!

So, would you suggest not buying the service plan advertised on their website: Service plans Some people suggest that serving the Tesla every 2 year, is that true or a good practice to save the budget?

Personal choice. We liked the peace of mind of having it checked every year and any service updates applied. In fact, they checked for service updates any time we were there. Would most likely buy it again.

I don't think service plans are available yet for model X.

I owned a Model S first, then an X.

1 Paint: I live in California. I never washed my S, before the drought Tesla would hand wash it if I was getting any service done. Paint was still perfect when I traded it in. General opinion is don't use car washes that have brushes.

2 Insurance: CSAA charges me the same for my Tesla as they do for my wife's Volt. The car is fully covered for collision, $1M/$5M, liability, comprehensive, $250 deductible. Costs about $1k/year to insure.

3 Repairs: in warrantee, costs you nothing. Out of warrantee, depends on your actual experience. About comparable to owning a BMW or Mercedes. Maintenance is much cheaper though. You only need preventive maintenance yearly, it averages out to about $600/year.

4 Tires: higher end, the OEM tires are available at Costco. If you get the 22 inch wheels your tires will be more expensive, wear out faster, and lose range.

5 Fuel: $0.03 per mile. Electric bill went down after getting electric car as PG&E electric car rate is favorable. Net savings of $0.07 per mile compared with 30 mpg ICE.

I am concerned that you want to take the X off-road. That's not recommended.

Thanks @Hengist. Well write-up! Give me more confidence to have our first Tesla.

CSAA offers you a really great rate. When I quoted with PEMCO insurance, they offered me $1600/year with worse coverage as what you got.

As regards to the off-road trip, I live in WA Seattle area, we will go hiking or camping with the X, I guess that should be fine?

You might check that they are not quoting on the performance version. Also check with your homeowners as they give discount for extra business. Camping as long as you drive on road is good. Trailers use energy fast because not streamlined well.

I don't think you will be worried about cost once you have it. It's like going to a theme park every day for me, plus auto pilot is worth the price of admition on it's own, so whatever you have to pay for maintance in a year you will happily do so.