Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first real Tesla moment!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the car for 4 days.

Last night it is parked in the driveway (plugged into 110 outlet as I don't have the 240 installed yet).

Pizza delivery guy pulls up into driveway and comes to the door.

"What the hell is that car?!?"(handing me pizza). We proceed to stand in doorway for 20 minutes while he asks me a million questions about how you charge it, how much does it cost, how far on a charge, where do you buy it, etc. etc.

Finally after 20 minutes of this my wife comes to the front door and is like...'the kids and I want to eat. Time to stop explaining your new toy." Pizza guy says "I can't wait to get back to the store and tell everyone about this car!"

Maybe I should have given him my referral code:)

Similar moment for me:
Had the garage open with the roadster in it. The mailman came up to the garage door because he had a package. When I opened the door. He looked and me and pointed at the roadster and asked if I worked for Tesla. I smiled and said no just love the cars. He knew I have a Model S as he has seen that in the driveway multiple times. We talked only briefly as he didn't want the mail to be delivered late!! ;)

Get used to it. The fascination, the stares, the surprise, strangers who want to see in and under your car. I'm not a social person, but somehow strangers seem to get me to talk for 10, 20, 30 minutes about my Tesla. It's always a good feeling to walk away from those Tesla moments and you'll have yet another story to tell.

Your wife will understand. Eventually.

Finally after 20 minutes of this my wife comes to the front door and is like...'the kids and I want to eat. Time to stop explaining your new toy." Pizza guy says "I can't wait to get back to the store and tell everyone about this car!"

Unlikely the pizza guy needs your referral code, unless he's about to receive a sizable inheritance. :)

But maybe he's just delivering pizzas while working through engineering school somewhere, and will be in a position to buy one in a few years! Or if not, maybe he'll buy a Volt or a Model 3 in the future after catching the bug!

I've had my car for almost 3 months now, and haven't yet had a single "moment." Its probably because I live in the SF Bay Area (Silicon Valley), and Teslas are actually quite common out here. They're everywhere in the area I work. Not quite as common near where I live, but I still see them more often than I expected to.

Of course if I ever did have such a moment, knowing myself, I'd likely get all awkward/uncomfortable and come across as rude. (Hopefully not, but that's just how I am when I'm blindsided.)

I've had my car for almost 3 months now, and haven't yet had a single "moment." Its probably because I live in the SF Bay Area (Silicon Valley), and Teslas are actually quite common out here. They're everywhere in the area I work. Not quite as common near where I live, but I still see them more often than I expected to.

Of course if I ever did have such a moment, knowing myself, I'd likely get all awkward/uncomfortable and come across as rude. (Hopefully not, but that's just how I am when I'm blindsided.)

It's all about where you live. They're rare around here and so I get something pretty much daily. Enthusastic questions, people taking photos, gestures from other drivers, enthralled kids pointing to the car in a parking lot, etc... It's quite a lot of fun actually.

What you need is a ROAD TRIP! Get away from California.

TeslaByState.JPG

(old data)

30% of the nation’s used Tesla Model S car sales are in California
45% of the nation’s sales are in California

(new data)

If he's a pizza delivery boy.........I doubt he can afford a Model S.

Had the car for 4 days.

Last night it is parked in the driveway (plugged into 110 outlet as I don't have the 240 installed yet).

Pizza delivery guy pulls up into driveway and comes to the door.

"What the hell is that car?!?"(handing me pizza). We proceed to stand in doorway for 20 minutes while he asks me a million questions about how you charge it, how much does it cost, how far on a charge, where do you buy it, etc. etc.

But imagine how many pizzas he could fit into the frunk. :)

I'm retired and have been working as a handyman at the request of a realtor friend who needed someone with varied skills acquired through 30 years of rental property ownership. I expect my first "Tesla moment" will be some new homeowner seeing the handyman drive up in a Model S and pull a tool bag out of the frunk.

Last edited:
I am a little surprised being your location. I've had mine for 3 months and have had only 1 moment like that (2 min of questions) - and it was at a restaurant and the person was likely not from Cary. Cary is absolutely loaded with Teslas - a rare day when I don't see another one. Our 30 spot parking lot with have 1-3 most of the time.

Just interesting. For those that don't know, Cary and Chapel Hill have similar demographics/income, almost share a border, 2 largest suburbs in the triangle. The only striking difference is CH is a liberal university town. Cary more middle of the road politically. Maybe a stronger desire to not outwardly show wealth?

But people who can afford the car eat Pizza too.

So if you're really desperate, make up a great flyer with the referral code, and ask the Pizza guy (offer commission/flat fee for each sale?) to hand one out whenever he's delivering to someone with a nice home/car in the driveway.

I did say desperate, right? ;)