Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Road Trip (MY LR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MY Long Range in November had my first road trip this weekend. We had go head from Central NJ to Baltimore so not a particularly long trip but longer than my other COVID-era Philadelphia trips, which I can do roundtrip without a Supercharger visit.

Being my first trip (and to soothe a nervous wife) I charged to 95% at home. This would take me to Baltimore with the a mid-teens SOC on arrival, but wanted to have juice to run around when in-town as the hotel did not have destination charging, so I had planned to hit an SC as bathroom needs and hunger hit.

We made it to mid-Delaware (Chesapeake Service Area) at 49% SOC on the way down. By the time we hit the bathroom, grabbed lunch and ate, we were nearly charged. I took a very quick phone call and we had reached 95% again. about 33 mins charge time

For the balance:
  • Arrived in Baltimore at 76%
  • Left Baltimore a few days later at 49%
  • Recharged at Newark, DE at 20% SOC on the return. Charged to 75% in about 20 mins. This was the recommended charge to get home with 18% SOC. We were not done with our sandwiches and noticed we had reached 77% and I stopped the charging while we finished.
  • Arrived home at 28%

So really painless. Being a Route 95 trip, Supercharger options were plentiful along the way and the Mrs is much more confident in taking the MY on the road. Also, this was my first chance to test Autopilot and become familiar with its usage, given the long highway stretches. I honestly did not give a care about autopilot when purchasing but in a trip such as this it was really useful. I can see myself using it much more.

For long-timers, nothing new here, I am sure. For newer folks like me or those considering a move to Tesla, I thought I would share. I am ready for some longer trips as travel opens up and we both get vaccinated.

Great to hear. I'm glad you had a good experience. In my opinion, the Tesla Supercharger network makes all the difference. I've done similar road trips with other EVs and the charging is always a risk. Finding chargers is stressful and when you do find them, they may not work or may be some network you don't have an account with. With Tesla, everything just works :).

I charged to 95% at home. This would take me to Baltimore with the a mid-teens SOC on arrival,
Uh oh. As I started reading this, I was already starting to tense up, thinking this was sounding like many other threads I have seen here, where a new owner is trying to do that the wrong way, skipping over Superchargers along the route by white-knuckling it all in one drive and then griping about the car running low and range anxiety and panic and unhappy wife.
We made it to mid-Delaware (Chesapeake Service Area) at 49% SOC on the way down. By the time we hit the bathroom, grabbed lunch and ate, we were nearly charged. I took a very quick phone call and we had reached 95% again. about 33 mins charge time
And then the story took a turn for the better! Yes!
Recharged at Newark, DE at 20% SOC on the return. Charged to 75% in about 20 mins.
Perfect.
For long-timers, nothing new here, I am sure. For newer folks like me or those considering a move to Tesla, I thought I would share.
But I'm very glad you did share. This doesn't have to be hard, but it does take a slight change to the habits that a lot of people have built up. With a gas car, a lot of people might normally plan to just get in the car from home and not stop for anything until they arrive there, and then plan to eat or whatever. And if they tried to do that the exact same way in an electric, that might cause stress and problems. But with just a small change, of a 20 or 30 minute break in each direction, it becomes easy and a non-issue. It's a minor adjustment that makes this work really well.

I am a recent new MY owner (2/27/21) and I have a couple of questions? Do most people display the battery as miles or as percentage and why? I am planning my first long trip to Florida, about 500 miles. Does the navigation map plan out where you need to stop for a charge in real time? Driving locally, I try to keep the highway speed close to the speed limit. Not in a rush to get anywhere. But a road trip is different and depending on traffic, the speed can get over the limit by more than I would like. Sometimes we tend to keep with the traffic flow, but I know high speeds are not good for EV's and range? So any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Do most people display the battery as miles or as percentage and why?
Here you go: 14 pages worth of people debating and arguing that.

But a road trip is different and depending on traffic, the speed can get over the limit by more than I would like. Sometimes we tend to keep with the traffic flow, but I know high speeds are not good for EV's and range? So any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.
And for road trip threads:

Keep in mind that a lot of these threads are older, and were dealing mostly with Model S, before the 3 or Y were around, so if people are talking about specific amounts of range or efficiency numbers, those will be a little different for the 3 or Y obviously.

I am a recent new MY owner (2/27/21) and I have a couple of questions? I am planning my first long trip to Florida, about 500 miles. But a road trip is different and depending on traffic, the speed can get over the limit by more than I would like. So any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated. ;)
This post got a little longer than I planned, but the professor in me took over.
A lot of things have changed over the years since the only Tesla was the original Model S.
Here we are in mid-2021, and things just get better and better.

In my 18 or so months of ownership, I've finally learned my lesson:
The car is smarter, better informed, and has more up to date info than we mortals. Listen to it.
Having said that...
Does the navigation map plan out where you need to stop for a charge in real time?
Simple answer, yes. It suggests, and in general, is a little pessimistic. But pretty well spot on.
The car is smarter and has more up to date knowledge. Deal with it. Set the navigation, follow the prompts and relax. Three times the system has told me a route, I said "BS, I know what I'm doing" and sat in accident caused jams for a long time. Duhhh.
Do most people display the battery as miles or as percentage and why?
It's just a matter of choice. I made a truth table, logging miles vs percentage, as an experiment. (I'd really like to see the display show both at once). Referred to it when I left the meter at percentage. Haven't looked at it in in ages. In my ICE's, after a while I knew that I had x miles at 1/2, y miles at 1/4, and z miles at the first indication of F, and to start really worrying when the pointer went below the scale. Nowadays I usually just leave the meter at "distance", guess it is just more interesting. Remember, the "miles to go" is just an educated guess, though. Percentage is about as accurate as an ICE fuel gauge. But a quick glance at "miles to go" and you have a pretty good idea of where you stand.
Sometimes we tend to keep with the traffic flow, but I know high speeds are not good for EV's and range?
Again, same as ICEs. The system is designed to be optimal at highway speeds.
On long trips, sometimes I will use the graph just to see how I am doing, or if weather/traffic has changed. Sometimes played with speed to see how diff between 65 and 90 really affects range toward the end of the segment. A lot of "I wonder what will happen if I do this...".
Sure, if you really stand on it, you will lose efficiency (miles to go). But then, the same thing happened in your ICEv. Your mileage decreases at higher speeds.
Driving locally, I try to keep the highway speed close to the speed limit. Not in a rush to get anywhere.
Commendable, but don't fret over it. Keep up with the traffic flow and relax.
Last couple of trips (DFW-New Orleans), we just enjoy the trip and argue over who gets to drive.
Had lots of ICErs who said "once the novelty wears off, you'll go back to your Buick". I think not.

Odd... 18 months and I still have the Tesla Grin, even while commuting on Stemmons Freeway or 635 (The Dallas versions of the LA 405 or the NYC Long Island Expressway. And two of my ICEr friends now have Teslas.

The point of all this? To answer your question, just drive like you always have. Spend a few months getting used to the new paradigm. Then is becomes second nature. On the Interstates, I just go with the flow. If I'm in with the Roger Ramjets, I join in if the mood strikes me, but my sporting blood turns to urine after 90. But there's no reason to poop along at 65 just to save a few joules.

In my very first Tesla trip DFW-ABI (Nearest Supercharger is 35 miles or so), I did learn about freezing weather, sentry mode and waking up to 30 miles indicated instead of the 80 when I parked. Drove at about 50 to get to the Supercharger. Still had 15 miles indicated when I got there. But that's extreme.

I am planning my first long trip to Florida, about 500 miles.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy. I generally will look at ABetterRoutePlanner.com when I contemplate a trip. It's free. Set up your car's profile. Enter a start and stop. It will give you a very good idea of what to do. (You tell it what kind of car, you can set home and work, play with the route (what if I...). Then you are armed with the knowledge that you will be OK. Then you get in your car, tell it to navigate to your destination, and you will be in good hands.

Let us know how you make out with your first trip! But one caveat... The Tesla Grin can make your cheeks ache after a while...

Last edited:
We are new to the forum. We test drive this Saturday in Tucson and I have to say I am very excited. We live in SE AZ and we may be the only EV in our little country town. Definitely a far right area. We are really only planning on some cross country trips (we are retired) and decided on Tesla BC of their charging infrastructure and experience in the EV market. Other then that she will sit in the garage till the next road trip. TIA

We are new to the forum. We test drive this Saturday in Tucson and I have to say I am very excited. We live in SE AZ and we may be the only EV in our little country town. Definitely a far right area. We are really only planning on some cross country trips (we are retired) and decided on Tesla BC of their charging infrastructure and experience in the EV market. Other then that she will sit in the garage till the next road trip. TIA
Best of luck on your trip!
Caution... driving a Tesla is addictive. Although "The first one" is not free, as the saying goes, I'm pretty sure you will find that getting out and driving JFTHOI will be a pastime. on't buy a thoroughbred and leave him in the stall all the time.

Once, I had been away for a couple of weeks, and had left The Good Ship Venus on the slow charger with Sentry Mode on. I had actually never seen what sentry mode does when it is triggered. So when I walked past the car, the lights winked and the horn beeped. I tell yuh, it was saying "I missed you". So I went for a spin for no real purpose.

They DO have souls, you know...