Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Road Trip (MY LR)

MrWattson

Aug 23, 2020
Central NJ
Picked up my MY Long Range in November had my first road trip this weekend. We had go head from Central NJ to Baltimore so not a particularly long trip but longer than my other COVID-era Philadelphia trips, which I can do roundtrip without a Supercharger visit.

Being my first trip (and to soothe a nervous wife) I charged to 95% at home. This would take me to Baltimore with the a mid-teens SOC on arrival, but wanted to have juice to run around when in-town as the hotel did not have destination charging, so I had planned to hit an SC as bathroom needs and hunger hit.

We made it to mid-Delaware (Chesapeake Service Area) at 49% SOC on the way down. By the time we hit the bathroom, grabbed lunch and ate, we were nearly charged. I took a very quick phone call and we had reached 95% again. about 33 mins charge time

For the balance:
  • Arrived in Baltimore at 76%
  • Left Baltimore a few days later at 49%
  • Recharged at Newark, DE at 20% SOC on the return. Charged to 75% in about 20 mins. This was the recommended charge to get home with 18% SOC. We were not done with our sandwiches and noticed we had reached 77% and I stopped the charging while we finished.
  • Arrived home at 28%

So really painless. Being a Route 95 trip, Supercharger options were plentiful along the way and the Mrs is much more confident in taking the MY on the road. Also, this was my first chance to test Autopilot and become familiar with its usage, given the long highway stretches. I honestly did not give a care about autopilot when purchasing but in a trip such as this it was really useful. I can see myself using it much more.

For long-timers, nothing new here, I am sure. For newer folks like me or those considering a move to Tesla, I thought I would share. I am ready for some longer trips as travel opens up and we both get vaccinated.

Ruffles

Jun 13, 2017
Snohomish WA
Great to hear. I'm glad you had a good experience. In my opinion, the Tesla Supercharger network makes all the difference. I've done similar road trips with other EVs and the charging is always a risk. Finding chargers is stressful and when you do find them, they may not work or may be some network you don't have an account with. With Tesla, everything just works :).

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I charged to 95% at home. This would take me to Baltimore with the a mid-teens SOC on arrival,
Uh oh. As I started reading this, I was already starting to tense up, thinking this was sounding like many other threads I have seen here, where a new owner is trying to do that the wrong way, skipping over Superchargers along the route by white-knuckling it all in one drive and then griping about the car running low and range anxiety and panic and unhappy wife.
We made it to mid-Delaware (Chesapeake Service Area) at 49% SOC on the way down. By the time we hit the bathroom, grabbed lunch and ate, we were nearly charged. I took a very quick phone call and we had reached 95% again. about 33 mins charge time
And then the story took a turn for the better! Yes!
Recharged at Newark, DE at 20% SOC on the return. Charged to 75% in about 20 mins.
Perfect.
For long-timers, nothing new here, I am sure. For newer folks like me or those considering a move to Tesla, I thought I would share.
But I'm very glad you did share. This doesn't have to be hard, but it does take a slight change to the habits that a lot of people have built up. With a gas car, a lot of people might normally plan to just get in the car from home and not stop for anything until they arrive there, and then plan to eat or whatever. And if they tried to do that the exact same way in an electric, that might cause stress and problems. But with just a small change, of a 20 or 30 minute break in each direction, it becomes easy and a non-issue. It's a minor adjustment that makes this work really well.

rick8560

Apr 21, 2021
I am a recent new MY owner (2/27/21) and I have a couple of questions? Do most people display the battery as miles or as percentage and why? I am planning my first long trip to Florida, about 500 miles. Does the navigation map plan out where you need to stop for a charge in real time? Driving locally, I try to keep the highway speed close to the speed limit. Not in a rush to get anywhere. But a road trip is different and depending on traffic, the speed can get over the limit by more than I would like. Sometimes we tend to keep with the traffic flow, but I know high speeds are not good for EV's and range? So any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
Do most people display the battery as miles or as percentage and why?
Here you go: 14 pages worth of people debating and arguing that.

But a road trip is different and depending on traffic, the speed can get over the limit by more than I would like. Sometimes we tend to keep with the traffic flow, but I know high speeds are not good for EV's and range? So any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.
And for road trip threads:

Keep in mind that a lot of these threads are older, and were dealing mostly with Model S, before the 3 or Y were around, so if people are talking about specific amounts of range or efficiency numbers, those will be a little different for the 3 or Y obviously.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC