Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first road trip - review and couple issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

back from weekend away in Scotland.

Drive up wasn’t bad, left Newcastle with 77% battery, stopped for a supercharge at Gretna, had about 30 odd left then, topped up to 90. Pretty much same craic coming back, left with about 30% by getting home after supercharge stop again in Gretna.

Kept the car in Sport all the way, used TACC, stuck to speed limits about 80% of the journey I suppose.

One thing I noticed whilst driving and don’t know if anyone else gets this but there’s a draft coming in somewhere drivers side, enough to make my right knee cold as out. Had a feel about and I can find anything obvious apart from where end of dash meets the door, but drafty there. Anyone else get this at all? Do these door insulation kits do anything to rectify that or are they just for noise mostly?

• Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon
Moderator comment - merged back in cross posting from "Couple Issues?"

Hi all

Couple issues that the forum may have some info on

1. Noticed that the AC in my M3P isn’t the best. Temp set to 23 degrees the other day and the vents at the front were blowing fairly cold air, although the back ones seemed bit better.

2. Noticed a draft coming in from drivers side, think it’s A Pillar region. Wondering if something like the GOHOLO noise reduction kit with help?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

Couple issues that the forum may have some info on

1. Noticed that the AC in my M3P isn’t the best. Temp set to 23 degrees the other day and the vents at the front were blowing fairly cold air, although the back ones seemed bit better.

2. Noticed a draft coming in from drivers side, think it’s A Pillar region. Wondering if something like the GOHOLO noise reduction kit with help?

Thanks.
I have had the cold air from vents from time to time but generally its OK. not sure what causes it but did 300 miles this weekend and maybe noticed it once for only a few minutes

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Seems quite straightforward then!

Gretna not the greatest location as often gets busy and I’ve had to wait once. It seems in need of an update with some V3s I’d say.

I don’t have any draft from the door seals and don’t feel the need for any extra extra seals, yet.
Might check out these extra seals for what they cost. Defo draft coming through where dash meets door, that area.

Yeh, similar round trip for me mate, few times I noticed it and had to put my hand up against the front vent to check. Strange.
On road trips I tend to keep the fan low and use the heated seats more. Its more efficient and I really don't feel it compromises comfort. This weekend with temps about 7-9 degrees I left the fan on 1 all the time with cabin temp set to 20 vents set to feet only. Preheated before departure and this seemed adequate. None of my 3 female passengers complained which is the real test. and no misting up at all despite a lot of rain.
Point is with the fan set low there is less scope for it to blow cold air on you at high velocity which may be one reason I have less of an issue with drafts than you.
This not just a Tesla thing though I have had the same on my previous Skodas. I even took one to the garage since I was convinced there was something wrong only to be told it was fine.

Noticed a draft coming in from drivers side, think it’s A Pillar region. Wondering if something like the GOHOLO noise reduction kit with help?

Thanks.
It depends where wind ingress originates. I fitted the kit below back in May & it does a great job in keeping the sills very clean but I very much doubt that there is complete contact between the A pillar & door seals so air would still be forced in at speed. However the A Pillar seal does run top-bottom behind the hinges so may cause a draft to channel elsewhere.

In my experience, these kits give doors/frunk/boot a more substantial clunk when closed & stop water/dirt ingress but as my car didn't have any wind noise before fitting, I can't say whether they have noise reduction properties (road noise is the main culprit & seals have no bearing on that)

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WC85VTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On road trips I tend to keep the fan low and use the heated seats more. Its more efficient and I really don't feel it compromises comfort. This weekend with temps about 7-9 degrees I left the fan on 1 all the time with cabin temp set to 20 vents set to feet only. Preheated before departure and this seemed adequate. None of my 3 female passengers complained which is the real test. and no misting up at all despite a lot of rain.
Point is with the fan set low there is less scope for it to blow cold air on you at high velocity which may be one reason I have less of an issue with drafts than you.
This not just a Tesla thing though I have had the same on my previous Skodas. I even took one to the garage since I was convinced there was something wrong only to be told it was fine.
So do you have AC on auto temp? Or just have temp set manually then fan low?

It depends where wind ingress originates. I fitted the kit below back in May & it does a great job in keeping the sills very clean but I very much doubt that there is complete contact between the A pillar & door seals so air would still be forced in at speed. However the A Pillar seal does run top-bottom behind the hinges so may cause a draft to channel elsewhere.

In my experience, these kits give doors/frunk/boot a more substantial clunk when closed & stop water/dirt ingress but as my car didn't have any wind noise before fitting, I can't say whether they have noise reduction properties (road noise is the main culprit & seals have no bearing on that)

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WC85VTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Any issues closing doors Drew? Seen some remarks saying back doors especially are harder to close.

Any issues closing doors Drew? Seen some remarks saying back doors especially are harder to close.
None whatsoever although the boot does require a slightly firmer close (I fitted those seals differently to the instructions, cutting rather than bending so they are neater and a more consistent seal).

The kit I used is different to many others and includes frunk as well.