TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

My first road trip (to San Diego Safari Park)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by SoCal Tsla, May 30, 2017.

1. SoCal Tsla

SoCal Tsla Member

This is part 1;)

• Like x 2
  2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

This is what always bothered me about some parts of the US (eg California). Driving constantly in the left-most lane (instead of using lane for strictly passing other vehicles). If you drove that way in Europe, you would have a lot of angry drivers right on your rear bumper. Auto-Pilot will have an interesting impact on such behaviour and may make it worse.

It would be very courteous if everybody used the left-most lane for passing only (assuming the road-way isn't full of traffic). It could reduce congestion and allow faster vehicles to more easily get past.

• Like x 4
  3. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

We are members and usually park our 450h
    In the hybrid parking spots. Never seen a tesla parked there

4. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I think left lane should be passing only but that's not the law we have here unfortunately. At least with AP, the speed will be constant. Without AP, people in left lane drive like turtles but decide they want to be a rabbit when you decide you want to pass them.

5. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

#5 Seattle Tom, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Get out of the fast lane. Too many cars are passing you in the right until the middle of the video.

• Like x 3
  6. drees

drees Active Member

Actually, it is the law we have here in California, specifically VC Section 21654.

Unfortunately, no one is aware of it or chooses to ignore it and it's rarely enforced.

• Like x 1
  7. SoCal Tsla

SoCal Tsla Member

Yeah I was driving at 75mph on the 65mph road, but as many people have pointed out, I should have moved one lane left...

• Like x 1
  8. puregreddy

puregreddy Member

The problem isn't keeping the left lane clear for passing.....it's too many people driving either too far above or too far below the posted speed limit.

9. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Instead Governor Brown pushed through a MASSIVE fuel tax increase and DMV vehicle registration fee increase... Rather than using his "Bully Pulpit" to tell California drivers to "Keep Right Except To Pass" to relieve congestion.

10. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

While I full-heartedly agree that it's the most safe if everyone drives the same speed (or close to the same speed), I can't imagine that happening until most vehicles are self-driving. Until then, the next best thing is to (when possible) partition the roadway so that fast drivers are in one lane and slower drivers are in another.