Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first road trip (to San Diego Safari Park)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what always bothered me about some parts of the US (eg California). Driving constantly in the left-most lane (instead of using lane for strictly passing other vehicles). If you drove that way in Europe, you would have a lot of angry drivers right on your rear bumper. Auto-Pilot will have an interesting impact on such behaviour and may make it worse.

It would be very courteous if everybody used the left-most lane for passing only (assuming the road-way isn't full of traffic). It could reduce congestion and allow faster vehicles to more easily get past.

This is what always bothered me about some parts of the US (eg California). Driving constantly in the left-most lane (instead of using lane for strictly passing other vehicles). If you drove that way in Europe, you would have a lot of angry drivers right on your rear bumper. Auto-Pilot will have an interesting impact on such behaviour and may make it worse.

It would be very courteous if everybody used the left-most lane for passing only (assuming the road-way isn't full of traffic). It could reduce congestion and allow faster vehicles to more easily get past.

I think left lane should be passing only but that's not the law we have here unfortunately. At least with AP, the speed will be constant. Without AP, people in left lane drive like turtles but decide they want to be a rabbit when you decide you want to pass them.

Yeah I was driving at 75mph on the 65mph road, but as many people have pointed out, I should have moved one lane left...

Reactions: vandacca
Actually, it is the law we have here in California, specifically VC Section 21654.

Unfortunately, no one is aware of it or chooses to ignore it and it's rarely enforced.

Instead Governor Brown pushed through a MASSIVE fuel tax increase and DMV vehicle registration fee increase... Rather than using his "Bully Pulpit" to tell California drivers to "Keep Right Except To Pass" to relieve congestion.

The problem isn't keeping the left lane clear for passing.....it's too many people driving either too far above or too far below the posted speed limit.
While I full-heartedly agree that it's the most safe if everyone drives the same speed (or close to the same speed), I can't imagine that happening until most vehicles are self-driving. Until then, the next best thing is to (when possible) partition the roadway so that fast drivers are in one lane and slower drivers are in another.