Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first road trip - what do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At Airlie they tried to locare me outside the yard, but couldn't locate car owner blocking the car space needed, it would have been so much better outside the tarped area in the adjoining car park.

Having to park inside the busy work area, with operating machinery in close proximity can be unerving.

Still in Townsville, off to Cairns via Frosty Mango on Monday.
Hooray Frosty Mango ! Make sure you meet Heidi !

Mmmmmm Mango ice cream.

Frosty01.jpg Frosty02.jpg

• Love
Reactions: RichardMcN
Leaving Airlie Beach tomorrow for Townsville. Fully charged up and ready to go. Chris at boat works great guy. A case of XXXX works a gem

The beach really needs a set of HPWCs. I sent a note to Tesla to suggest it. @RichardMcN @brewster might wish to send Tesla a note also. The boatyard is not really a safe place. Too industrial and too much activity

We indeed to do a detour to Charters Towers from Townsville. Gateway to the outback!

Decided to stay a bit longer in Cairns before heading a little further north. Could have stopped at 90% I guess. Plans are pretty fluid at present.

Thinking Cape Tribulation, we'll see.
If you like crocodiles I would really recommend Bruce Belcher’s Daintree River Cruises - a few km upstream of the ferry. They are down to earth guys and we saw quite a number of crocs.

Leaving Townsville for points North. Stayed at Macure hotel in Townsville. Twin HPWC at 110km/hr. hotel is a conference hotel and super cheap. $140 including breakfast

Stopping at Frosty Mango. Great expectations from all the notes

Couldn't get ANY place to stay in Cairns due to school holidays so staying in Port Douglas for five days. Finally treating the wife to three days at Silky Oaks, our last stop north before a 180 south

Had a rock crack the passengers side front windscreen two days ago. Called local windscreen repair guys and they came to hotel at 8am next morning and filled it. 15min, $80 and impossible to see the impact. Nice service

So much great info for future road trips…thanks! Silky Oaks looks like wow.

So right now, the northernmost charge opportunities seem to be QT Port Douglas & NQ Solar as well as the Tritium CHAdeMO in Cairns.

A Destination Charger in Cooktown would be great. Maybe at The Sovereign Resort. It’s possible there’s 3 phase availability somewhere already but there’s certainly nothing yet on Plugshare.

Not any charging news from me today, just had a great day yesterday on the scenic railway and skyrail near Cairns.

Today I didn't get on the ferry to the Daintree Rainforest; roadworks until 30th June so I chickened out. Plan B, went for a croc cruise from the Daintree Village which was enjoyable.

Appreciated the bitumen road all the way and loved all the bends that the Tesla handled with aplomb.

.Sky02.jpg Sky01.jpg Train02.jpg Rail01.jpg PortD01.jpg PorrD02.jpg PortD04.jpg Daintree01.jpg Daintree03.jpg Daintree05.jpg

Will charge up again at NQ Solar tomorrow mornin' catch up with relations in the arvo, then set off for home Saturday.

Finally made it to port Douglas today. All good

Added two chargers to PlugShare along the way
First was Innisfail, a showground 150km south of Cairns. Standard Showgrounds with lots and lots of three phase plugs. JuiceBoost continued to operate flawlessly

Second was the Cairns trillium CHADeMo. Installed yesterday. Works a champ, 208km/hr. added to plugshare. At the beach and it is GREEN. Thanks for suggesting it @WhiteStar

Great stuff @Aussie Yank. Will use that charger at Innisfail tomorrow.
After charge at NQ Solar, receptionist mentioned charger for Tesla and other EVs had been installed on the Esplanade.

Had a look and found these 4 x 3ph 32amp 5pin stands not quite ready yet, thinking they were the charging points. Located at the far northern end of the Esplanade.

However newspaper shows pic of different area. Is that where the ChadeMo is?

Then there is the article on Renew Economy today ...

Electric vehicle charging networks rolled out across WA, Qld

CairnsCharge01.jpg Charge01.jpg Charge02.jpg Charge03.jpg Charge04.jpg