Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first SC appointment. What to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Saturday, I am bringing my CPO in for its first service center appointment to resolve some issues that were found during delivery. The ones with the asterisk below were not noted on the bill of sale. I would imagine the rubber moulding issues will be taken care of without an issue but I suspect the scratches won't be since they will need to order parts. What should I expect? Do they also clean your car before they give it back to you? How long do you think I'll have a loaner for? I've attached pics of some of the items.

1) Broken Plastic Housing under drivers seat
2) Rubber moulding around pano roof not sealed*
3) Rubber moulding around passenger rear seat not sealed*
4) Scratches on roof trim surrounding pano*
5) Scratches on rear taillight housing
6) Scratches on door sill plates*
7) overall cabin noise is unacceptable, especially at higher speeds*

Attachments

• IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 8F99649D-8B12-4C82-8FDD-2DA268B47DBB-282-0000000B84EEC155_tmp.jpg
    8F99649D-8B12-4C82-8FDD-2DA268B47DBB-282-0000000B84EEC155_tmp.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 76
I don't think they do anything for CPO scratches. I believe it has to be a hole the size of a human pinky (which I know, varies greatly). I just had my first SC visit this week and it was outstanding! Highland Park really does a great job. While they determined my wind noise issue was somehow acceptable (I have to crank up the volume but apparently that's par for the course when driving above 70mph with the all glass roof), they addressed every other issue quickly. I dropped my car off at 8am, get a P85D loaner and returned at 330 to get my car. They vacuumed the interior and washed the car (though I had washed it several days prior it was really sparkling again after they did that).

They were very professional and I can't knock them for anything. As far as timeline, it will depend on the nature of your work. They addressed 4 issues (minor like yours including the passenger rear door window seal drooping, rear bumper clip missing/broken, and a scratch in the leather seat in the rear along with the aforementioned wind noise) and were done by 130pm (car wash was postponed unless I was in a rush). I think they should tell you when they expect to be completed. They have an incentive to make it short and sweet.

I don't think they do anything for CPO scratches. I believe it has to be a hole the size of a human pinky (which I know, varies greatly). I just had my first SC visit this week and it was outstanding! Highland Park really does a great job. While they determined my wind noise issue was somehow acceptable (I have to crank up the volume but apparently that's par for the course when driving above 70mph with the all glass roof), they addressed every other issue quickly. I dropped my car off at 8am, get a P85D loaner and returned at 330 to get my car. They vacuumed the interior and washed the car (though I had washed it several days prior it was really sparkling again after they did that).

They were very professional and I can't knock them for anything. As far as timeline, it will depend on the nature of your work. They addressed 4 issues (minor like yours including the passenger rear door window seal drooping, rear bumper clip missing/broken, and a scratch in the leather seat in the rear along with the aforementioned wind noise) and were done by 130pm (car wash was postponed unless I was in a rush). I think they should tell you when they expect to be completed. They have an incentive to make it short and sweet.

Thanks. According to the documentation, any scratches larger than 3/4 of an inch should be fixed. It was my fault for not reporting the major ones by the pano roof trim, so I can't get too mad if they refuse to addresss.

Thanks. According to the documentation, any scratches larger than 3/4 of an inch should be fixed. It was my fault for not reporting the major ones by the pano roof trim, so I can't get too mad if they refuse to addresss.

If that is the case, at least in my experience, they will address it. I didn't note any of the 4 issues on delivery because I was so focused on the big picture. My SC did not hesitate to address all the issues even though some could have been caused by me and were not warranty items. I did document them a couple days after delivery but still, I wouldn't have been disappointed if they said "sorry" because I failed at delivery to notice these minor issues. Tesla went above and beyond and I think you should have that carefully guarded expectation with your CPO (Mine was a custom order).

• Love
Reactions: Jashev and mbhforum
Are the scratches through the paint? Mine had a long scratch but it was in the clear coat - they said "normal wear and tear" - absolutely refused to address. Subsequent detailing has been unable to resolve it either. But, it's a second-hand car - they can get scratched as they come off the lot.

Cabin noise is unlikely to fly - wind noise and squeaks, rattles etc. are explicitly excluded in the CPO warranty:

Additional Limitations and Exclusions
" General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration; and" ...

I just had my MS60D in for issues that came up on delivery (12/16) and I have to say I am very pleased with the experience thus far. Tesla replaced the chrome whispers on both sides of the vehicle.

I also informed them about vibration in the steering wheel @ high speeds they fixed the vibration by giving the vehicle a wheel alignment and new balancing at no charge. Also they came across a defect in one of the tires and had it replaced as well.

They could not fix the chip on the rear bumper with touch up paint. My SA said she was not happy with it and is requesting me to bring the car back in two weeks so they can bring to a body shop to fix.

My SA kept we apprised with everything that was going on during the process. Overall the service at the Paramus SC has been top notch and seems like they go out the way and above and beyond in my book. Hopefully you have nothing to worry about.

All the while they gave me a P85D loaner as well.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, ok maybe I do, but you bought what is essentially a used car and are complaining about scratches on the door plate sills?

Most of those [scratch] defects seem very minor for a certified pre-owned car.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, ok maybe I do, but you bought what is essentially a used car and are complaining about scratches on the door plate sills?

Most of those [scratch] defects seem very minor for a certified pre-owned car.

No offense taken. Im not complaining, and won't make an issue of it, but it can't hurt to ask as it was something observed the second I opened the car doors upon inspection. I won't be the least bit disappointed if Tesla refuses to fix it.

Reactions: croman and Max*
Just to keep everyone updated. I brought my car in today, unfortunately, they didn't have the scratches on pano roof or the rubber molding documented but they said they would take a look. He said he would have the detailer look at the scratches. The scratches on the black trim around the pano cannot be buffed out as that piece is plastic and the entire piece would have to be replaced. There were also some scratches on the paint around the pano roof and they will look at that too. They told me the rubber moulding around the pano is meant to be a little bent in certain spots as that is normal wear and tear as the roof opens/closes.

Surprisingly, since they are backed up they gave me a loaner and probably said the car will not be ready until mid-week. My loaner isn't as nice, it's a 2014 85S without Subzero, Pano or AP. After one 20 minute drive home, I realized how much I love AP and how I cannot picture purchasing a Tesla without it. I also hate the grey interior seats, but that's personal taste, to each is own. Also isn't a D, so it seemed a bit slower when I accelerated. Hey, it's still a Tesla though :)

They better open up more service centers real fast before this model 3 comes out if they have my car hostage for 3 days for minor things.

At least you didn't get an ICE loaner. My SC gave me a fully loaded P85D which was fun for a day. I just have issues with ICE cars, so I would've taken a old S60 without AP and been happy. BTW, the P85D didn't even have AP for my morning commute -- it kept saying "driver's assistance features disabled. Contact Tesla if this continues" which I found ironic because the service guy gave it to me with that warning on. I couldn't park and wait it out, so I drove normally and enjoyed AP the entire way home. I can't wait until HW2 catches up to HW1. Its pathetic how far behind they are as compared to Elon's useless timelines.

I purposely waited a month for a Tesla loaner to avoid the dreaded ICE! After a day, I can't you how much I want my car back. I miss AP and really am glad I elected to get a CPO with a pano roof as it really does open it up. I also have an appreciation for the Obeche Wood trim compared to the black trim in my loaner.

If I bought a new 60D, I was going to skimp out on the wood interior and pano roof to keep costs down. I am glad I went CPO and got these options.

If you like the pano roof, the all glass is awesome. Other than some wind noise issue (which I hope Tesla figures out or I might have to DIY mod my car which is a shame for a $100k car), I love how expansive and open it feels. The view from the backseat is awesome. I wish I could see the stars at night though. Otherwise its nifty having so much glass all over.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
To close this thread out, and I got my car back today and everything but the scratched door sill plates (which was a really minor gripe) was addressed. The detailed got 90% of the scratches out on the sunroof. They replaced my rear taillight casing, fixed the rubber mouldings. They didn't find any issue with cabin/wind noise and after driving my loaner, I realized this is how how Tesla's sound inside at high speeds. Part of it is probably bc there is no engine, to reading so any threads here bringing attention to it and to my wife complaining about it.

I am overall very satisfied with the the work done and I am super happy to have my 85D back with AP! (I really value AP now).

Reactions: Shock-On-T