Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first scratch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I got back form my detailer who didn't want to touch it since it's on the curve(he called it the nerve) and said it wont come out perfect. He recommended I try myself with touch up paint and it will do a decent job. He never heard of Dr Colorchip, so I explained it to him.

He's a perfectionist and I get that.

If you have the time and the patience you can do an adequate job of this yourself by using filler, touch up paint, clear coat and polish as others have suggested. Lots of youtube videos to show you how and what to use. Contrary to what some of the products themselves claim, it is not a quick or easy job. My first few times I was sanding, filling, and painting 5-6x to get it looking reasonable. If you are not a pro I would avoid using power tools or else you risk making things a lot worse.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
If you have the time and the patience you can do an adequate job of this yourself by using filler, touch up paint, clear coat and polish as others have suggested. Lots of youtube videos to show you how and what to use. Contrary to what some of the products themselves claim, it is not a quick or easy job. My first few times I was sanding, filling, and painting 5-6x to get it looking reasonable. If you are not a pro I would avoid using power tools or else you risk making things a lot worse.

Everyone in society seems to want a quick fix and seem to be easily discouraged. If you don't really care about it too much, just touch it up and be done with it. If you have OCD like some of us, put in time and effort to research it and figure out who can do the best job in your area. This really shouldn't be that complicated. As much as some of us on the forum would like to help you, you really need to put in some effort into this if you want it perfect. Then again, it's only a car, and no one cares about other than you.

I got the same scratch in almost the exact place. I opened my trunk in a low parking garage where there was a long hanging pipe. I decided to fix it by putting in a carbon fiber spoiler. I wouldn't have normally preferred a spoiler but like you're finding out, painting on that curve is very tricky. This is the spoiler I went with and the only one that will truly cover that area.
Tesla trunk wing spoiler carbon fiber - TSportline.com - Tesla Model S & Model X Accessories

Not cheap but I wanted to get over my first scratch :(

upload_2017-6-3_14-40-26.png

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
I got the same scratch in almost the exact place. I opened my trunk in a low parking garage where there was a long hanging pipe. I decided to fix it by putting in a carbon fiber spoiler. I wouldn't have normally preferred a spoiler but like you're finding out, painting on that curve is very tricky. This is the spoiler I went with and the only one that will truly cover that area.
Tesla trunk wing spoiler carbon fiber - TSportline.com - Tesla Model S & Model X Accessories

Not cheap but I wanted to get over my first scratch :(

View attachment 229555

Thanks. I posted another thread too because a spoiler might be my best option but I only see Carbon Fiber ones and I'd prefer a matching paint one.

I am trying dr colorchip first. Since the scratches are on the edge/curve, they recommended I don't use the blending solution, but rather a microbrush and just dab a little touch up paint on. I will decide from there if I go the spoiler route after. If so, I will probably buy from Gerry at Trunk Lip Spoiler: Painted to match body color, Replica Trunk Lip Spoiler – ForMyTesla.com.

Although, I also see Spoiler Nation sells them for $100 cheaper and has pretty good reviews on eBay: 2012-2016 Tesla Model S Factory Style Rear Trunk Lip Spoiler

Touched up the few scratches with dr Colorchip. Most of it you can't tell from a few feet away except for the one deep scratch. There is no hope for that one, it's just too deep to the metal. It definitely looks better than it did before though. I was willing to try scratch wizard but their reviews were mixed and they don't respond to questions. I couldn't find any sort of other putty that looked easy to apply.

You can see the before and after below.

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: DrivingRockies
Feel your pain. Been there, done that. Twice. First time on a P85 loaner. Was worse to me because it wasn't my car. Fortunately was light enough to where an hour with the Porter Cable and polishing compound made it unnoticeable. Few months later, did the exact same thing again to my 85D.... while in the middle of detailing it in the garage :mad:. I know, I know... the power liftgate can be set to a max height. Wife complained that she was hitting her head on it, so it had to go back to default. Was able to polish out to the point that I'm the only one who notices. Recently, father-in-law took it upon himself to clean the rear glass with an old rag and left some nice long visible scratches on the paint surrounding it. I've given up... not worth stressing about!

• Love
Reactions: BLKMDL3