TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My first software update for my car!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mikeg561, Aug 4, 2015.

1. mikeg561

mikeg561 Member

So I initiated the update....I was on .251

The screen said it will take 1 hour and 40 minutes.
    Is that time estimate pretty accurate?
    Should I stay a way from the car for that period of time? i.e. would opening and closing the door and touching the screen potentially delay the install?

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I often do these when I go to sleep...

3. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Somewhere else on this forum they talked about not staying in the car during updates.

4. seclinton

seclinton Member

I changed the update from overnight to this morning when I got in the car. Around 9:30 as the update started, I got a notification from both the car and my work Chargepoint app that the car was unplugged. I forgot about the update and went to check on my car. It's updating. Just let it do it's thing.

5. mikeg561

mikeg561 Member

Update completed. I went back to my car about 2 hours after the upgrade started and it was done.

The technology is amazing......just let your car sit there and we will upgrade it for you. :)

6. spentan

spentan Active Member

I've sat in one of my old cars while its updating.

Its nothing special, wouldn't do it again. Just a whole lot of clicks and weird noises.

Just let it update and do not interrupt it. When it says it'll take 2 hours, then give it 2 hours before you check it. There is no status/progress bar, so you have to assume that its still updating.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

To emphasize the answer to your initial question, don't do anything with the car while it's updating. It's like if you were updating your computer operating system, you wouldn't touch the computer until it told you to. It may take longer than what the screen says, you never know. That's why it's best to let it update overnight which I think is what the scheduled time defaults to.

8. mikeg561

mikeg561 Member

What about charging while it is updating? My car normally charges overnight....can it charge and update at the same time or should we play it safe and schedule different times i.e. charge from 10:00 pm - what ever time. Update from 4:00 am-

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I leave my car plugged in during updates. Not sure if it charges while updating or not, does it really matter though?

10. AllanH

AllanH Member

Note that you can schedule the updates to take place in the wee hours of the morning.

11. RMG007

RMG007 Member

The car will not charge while it is installing the update

12. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

If I sit in the car while it's updating will I get updated?

13. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Yes! Your Tesla will transform you into a version of yourself approximately 100 minutes older than when you started the process.

14. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

If you post about it the service center will call you :p

15. Barry

Barry Member

You'll begin speaking with a South African accent.

16. oneday

oneday Member

Tell your girlfriend or wife to sit in the car while it's updating, that will blow your mind

17. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

nice...LOL

18. Vger

Vger Active Member

To be precise, you can be charging when you start the update, and the car will automatically stop charging during the update, and restart charging when the update finishes (convenient if you are planning both an overnight update and an overnight charge).

19. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    This is so disappointing. I bought the car expecting to have, as promised, updates for myself automatically if I stayed in my car during ten car update. You information is correct, though. During one such update my car gained new muscles (Insane mode) and other new features. All I got was...older.:eek: I was a;ready old enough. I wanted a faster 0-14km elapsed time and increased carrying capacity. Didn't happen! I'm so dismayed. There is nothing to do about it I suppose. maybe I'll just look for a hardware upgrade, maybe Ludicrous mode for the car and, say, an artificial knee or two for me.:confused: