Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first solar- and PW2-powered electricity bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an additional 7kw of panels/invertor added to my existing 8kw sytem.

First day results for the new 15kw setup:

Produced 101kw for today
Consumed 64kw (charged car)
Self consumed 60kw
Fed 40kw to grid.
Imported only 3.8kw from grid.

Pretty happy with it, just need a govt battery subsidy and a PW3 release!
20191009_213013.jpg

Had an additional 7kw of panels/invertor added to my existing 8kw sytem. First day results for the new 15kw setup:

Produced 101kw for today
Consumed 64kw (charged car)
Self consumed 60kw
Fed 40kw to grid.
Imported only 3.8kw from grid.
That’s um... an insane amount of power you are generating and exporting to the grid. Do you really need a system that big? I went Solar in May with a 5.8kW system, and frankly I’m wondering whether we overdid it because even in winter we were generating, over time, more power than we consumed. It will be nuts in summer. As much as I love solar power and PW2, it is possible to overdo it :)

That’s um... an insane amount of power you are generating and exporting to the grid. Do you really need a system that big? I went Solar in May with a 5.8kW system, and frankly I’m wondering whether we overdid it because even in winter we were generating, over time, more power than we consumed. It will be nuts in summer. As much as I love solar power and PW2, it is possible to overdo it :)

My reasons are, I have a large roof and 3 phase power and use alot of power. (4 br house, Elec HWS, Pool)

I had a 8kw System which was working well until I got the Model S. Since them im using at least an extra 20kw a night from the grid to charge. With this new system I can now charge about 2 days worth of commuting (200km range) in a few hours easily off solar alone.

Even if all fed into the grid, the extra 7.4kw making an average of approx 40kw a day at say 12c feed in is $4.80 per day or $1752 per year, will payback in just over 5 years. Much better payback on this option than if I added a PW2 IMO.

Reactions: Hagrid and Vostok
Had an additional 7kw of panels/invertor added to my existing 8kw sytem.
That's an étron load of roof you've got there. I'm envious. We have plenty of roof for 20+ panel in Melbourne but unfortunately it is facing south + north parapet. That then equates to 13 tilted panels. So we opted for 365w panel instead, just to squeeze as much kw out as possible. It maxes out at 50kwh on a good summer day. But you can do double that in Spring. Again Im envious.

• Funny
Reactions: baillies and Hagrid
My reasons are, I have a large roof and 3 phase power and use alot of power. (4 br house, Elec HWS, Pool)
I have a small roof, 3 phase power, 4 BR house, but gas HWS and no pool! And one electric car, not two (yet).

I did spend a lot of money this year replacing every window in the house with double glazing. Since then we’ve hardly switched on our ducted air-conditioning at all (a massive power hog) which has greatly reduced our power consumption. All part of the plan to have solar power generation capability on smallish roof >= household consumption.

Reactions: Hairyman and Hagrid