Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first 'SuperCharge'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first 'SuperCharge'

15/04/2022 Hilton Park, UK - Northbound Supercharging 37 kWh @ £0.44/kWh £16.28

I was impressed in two way, one a good way and one a not so good way . . . .

I got 157 miles on the closck in 15 minutes - that was impressively fast.
It cost me £16.28 for 157 miles (10.37p a mile) that was more costky than expected

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
I thought the same when I super charged. But on a 1120 mile journey I saved £135 in fuel costs ag todays fuel prices. It helped that the Tesla destination charger at the hotel was free.

We learnt that using two ‘super chargers’ that were not Tesla on the way home added 1.5 hours to our journey. They claimed super speeds but were less than 40kw and charged the same as Tesla. Next time we’ll just use Teslas.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
You would have said the same thing about current petrol/diesel costs. But electricity is still far cheaper.
If you can find fuel.

Smelly ICE cars getting in the way of visiting Supermarkets, blocking whole entrance, roundabout outside and nearby roads due to queue at garage.

Some long distance vehicle delivery drivers turning down jobs because not sure where they can refuel on trip back.

At least trying to conserve fuel is keeping many of them out of EVs' fast lane /s

There's a lot of comparison to petrol prices, but maybe the better way to look at it is, how else would you transfer 37kWh into your vehicle in 15 minutes? The high price of electricity is due to the rate of speed they move it into your car. It's like paying for express delivery from FedEx, UPS, whomever.

I would not pay £0.44/kWh for L2 charging at 11kw! But DC fast charging at >150kW? Yes please!

Reactions: Mrklaw and browellm
My first 'SuperCharge'

It cost me £16.28 for 157 miles (10.37p a mile) that was more costky than expected

The 157 miles is also just an estimate, I would expect 130-140 miles so maybe more like 12p per mile which is still good for non home charging

It’s only going one way. Government will soon want more….. much more. Within a year supercharging will be comparable to petrol/diesel.
I really don't think so. These recent price rises are nothing to do with government tax. All energy costs are going up for various global reasons. But electricity will still be much cheaper than petrol/diesel. Supercharging is obviously going to cost considerably more than home charging, but that's no surprise.

My first 'SuperCharge'

Fortunately we don’t run our cars on Supercharger electricity all the time… but even if we did it’s still way cheaper than petrol/diesel. Home fuelling is always the favoured option for even cheaper travel.

As usage of petrol and diesel inevitably declines in the next decade, the government will want that tax etc. It’s not hard to imagine where this will come from.
Not from charging. That is akin to punishing people who cannot afford off street parking. VAT is already 4 times higher on electricity from public chargers than it is from domestic then there is the price cap and off-peak, solar. If any thing they need to lower the tax /cost of public charging to level the playing field then get the tax elsewhere like road pricing which is fairer even though we all hate the idea. Its no different to fuel duty at the end of the day. You pay for the miles you drive.

It’s only going one way. Government will soon want more….. much more. Within a year supercharging will be comparable to petrol/diesel.
Unlikely within a year as they want people to transition to battery cars. They’ll wait until mass adoption then add road tax back in a few years and then tax the supercharger network. Bait and switch.

Government always needs money to keep them nice and warm while they earn a second salary from tax payers. 😉

road pricing which is fairer even though we all hate the idea

Not sure why we hate it though ...

Its no different to fuel duty at the end of the day. You pay for the miles you drive.

... quite.

I think it depends on how road pricing is implemented.

Unsophisticated: Pay annually (and when vehicle is sold) based on odometer reading (MOT can implement that easily, dunno about for young cars and at he time of a private sale)

Sophisticated: pay for usage based on type of road and time of day. That would help shift some heavy loads to night-time, and also anyone that chose to save by driving off-peak, and thus reduce some congestion (and at Superchargers?!). Something that reduced congestion would reduce journey times and increase GDP ... so I see that as a benefit, but I doubt very much that any UK government could successfully commission a "sophisticated system".

As usage of petrol and diesel inevitably declines in the next decade, the government will want that tax etc. It’s not hard to imagine where this will come from.

It will come from charging for road routes and time of use.

Its been the preferred option for decades but no one has had the political balls to implement nor the circumstances required when the easy option is to just tax the fuel. That is becoming less and less the easy option.