Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Tesla Article! Why college students should buy Gen III.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This matches what Tesla has been saying. The fact that there is an upfront cost for the SC enabling doesn't diminish that there isn't a per-use charge. Concur?

Not yet. I do concur what Tesla has said WRT Model S charging being free for life; I also concur that Elon said all future cars will be SC capable. I don't concur that this all means that all Gen III cars enabled with SC access will be free for life...

There's already discussion elsewhere about SC capacity and a few heated comments about folks with $100k cars charging for free at their local station and therefore taking up precious SC spots. There's only ~15k cars (WAG!) out there right now so fast forward several years and ask what will happen when there's 200,000 cars out there and a lot of those owners bought Gen III because it was finally affordable to them. So SC capacity becomes a major issue and free charging becomes a great motivation for folks on a lower household income than most of today's Model S owners. Charging for SC usage has to be a good option as a way to regulate demand.

While I'd love to see college students in any EV, even a Gen III with access to Supercharging would require a local charging infrastructure on/near campus where the car will be parked most of the year. I didn't see how your article addresses this. My knowledge of campus life is a tad, um, rusty, but I'd bet that student parking is still the major pain it's always been. Add the need for Level I or II charging facilities to student parking as one of the issues that need to be resolved.

Time to lobby Tesla to put a few Superchargers on every campus!

My oldest son is off to college in a few years. While I'd love to see him buy an EV, I just don't see the combination of range (assuming he's going to be 200-400 miles away), price (he's got to be able to afford the thing), and housing/parking with available charging, aligning any time soon.