Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Tesla... My First Day (Photo)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I hope I am posting in the right section, apologies if not. I picked up my new Model 3 Performance today from Tesla.

It was a very strange handover... I had to wait outside, sign a piece of paper and then they pointed to my car over in the corner... which was completely covered in dirt. It was almost like someone had borrowed the car for a number of weeks as it was very dirty inside to. However, now is not the time to complain with so many other important things going on around us.

I have a few silly questions which I hope someone can help me with, in which I can't find the answer to in the manual or online.

01 - Is the car supposed to come with floor mats? This is the first car I've ever bought without floor mats.

02 - I thought I had ordered a wooden trim, but it has arrived in white... are these difficult to change?

03 - I thought that the car would lock itself when I get out... but that doesn't seem to be the case... is it possible to lock the car, without the mirrors folding?

04 - Do you need to run the car in before you start driving it hard... like you have to do with many other cars (from my reading on this forum, it seem like you don't, however just checking incase some new realisation has occurred :)

05 - Do you need to let a car warm up before you drive it hard (i presume there is still oil somewhere that should be warmed up), or again is it good to go the minute you jump in?

06 - Suspension: I was very disappointed today when I saw that there is a massive gap between the wheel and the arch... the photos on the website and other marketing materials are very misleading... however maybe there is a setting for lowering the suspension? I've included a photo below. I think my rear arch looks very high above my wheel.

07 - Any other advice / tips / settings that you would recommend setting up... as I haven't really played to much with the settings as i've been out driving instead... what is the single 1 thing that you would recommend to someone from a settings / tech point of view.

Thank you in advance for all of your help, it is much appreciated.

IMG_0163.jpg

Reactions: ATC@LWSK
Hi,

01 - Is the car supposed to come with floor mats? This is the first car I've ever bought without floor mats.

02 - I thought I had ordered a wooden trim, but it has arrived in white... are these difficult to change?

03 - I thought that the car would lock itself when I get out... but that doesn't seem to be the case... is it possible to lock the car, without the mirrors folding?

04 - Do you need to run the car in before you start driving it hard... like you have to do with many other cars (from my reading on this forum, it seem like you don't, however just checking incase some new realisation has occurred :)

05 - Do you need to let a car warm up before you drive it hard (i presume there is still oil somewhere that should be warmed up), or again is it good to go the minute you jump in?

06 - Suspension: I was very disappointed today when I saw that there is a massive gap between the wheel and the arch... the photos on the website and other marketing materials are very misleading... however maybe there is a setting for lowering the suspension? I've included a photo below. I think my rear arch looks very high above my wheel.

07 - Any other advice / tips / settings that you would recommend setting up... as I haven't really played to much with the settings as i've been out driving instead... what is the single 1 thing that you would recommend to someone from a settings / tech point of view.

View attachment 526036

1. Yes, ours has floor mats (picked up last Saturday)
2. White interior has a white panel whereas black interior has a wood-look panel.
3. It will if you set it to do so under your driver profile.
4. Nope, drive it!
5. See #4 above
6. No settings to lower it, ours looks just like yours.
7. RTFM ;-)

01 - Model 3 used to come with carpet floor mats, don't know if it still does, Tesla has made a bunch of changes to included accessories over time.

02 - White interior does not come with wooden trim. It is easy to swap, see Model 3 Dash swap for some videos

03 - For walk-away lock, you need to set up your phone as a key or buy a key fob. You also need to enable the walk-away lock setting. Please consult the manual. You can disable mirrors auto-folding on lock, please also consult the manual.

04 - No.

05 - No.

06 - Model 3 does not have any suspension settings. However, you can lower the car with aftermarket parts. See Lowering Springs: TSportline vs Unplugged vs Eibach for some related discussion.

07 - If I had to recommend a single thing (besides flooring it...) to a new owner, it would be to read the manual. It is packed with answers to common questions and will help you get used to the car quickly.

1. I thought the P still came with floor mats, but things are constantly changing
2. You can pretty easily change to wood if you want. Just look up some youtube videos.
3. This is in the settings, and you can stop the mirrors from folding if you like.
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. Don't worry about your battery, charge level all that much. Just don't charge past 90% unless you need it, and don't let it sit unused above 90% or below 20% for long periods of time. Beyond that, pay attention when using autopilot, but you can trust it. Enjoy!

05 - Jump in and floor it...no oil in the car!
07 - Seems like you store cars. If you do plan to store the Tesla for long periods, do so with at least 50% (or close to it) State of Charge, plugged in preferably. The "charge battery to setting" is described in the manual.

Hi,

I hope I am posting in the right section, apologies if not. I picked up my new Model 3 Performance today from Tesla.

It was a very strange handover... I had to wait outside, sign a piece of paper and then they pointed to my car over in the corner... which was completely covered in dirt. It was almost like someone had borrowed the car for a number of weeks as it was very dirty inside to. However, now is not the time to complain with so many other important things going on around us.

I have a few silly questions which I hope someone can help me with, in which I can't find the answer to in the manual or online.

View attachment 526036

WOW!!! you have 2 porches a Range Rover and a Tesla?

Somebody beat me to it, but "nice stable" OP!

I think everyone covered all the other stuff you asked... but for point 7, some things I would tell you to look at in the manual...

1. How to set the doors to auto lock when you exit (since you asked about that).
2. The different settings related to regenerative braking (I for one do NOT have it set so that it is basically "1 pedal driving". I dont want to re wire my brain that much compared to gas cars, because my wife still has a BMW X3 that I have to drive sometimes.
3. setting up the "phone as key" and also pairing your phone as a bluetooth device for receiving calls and playing music (two separate things)
4. checking out the different steering settings and finding chill mode (so you can turn it on when / if a family member drives the car if they are not used to driving EVs.
(note, looks like you have porsche vehicles so you are used to fast cars, but an EV is different, especially in the low end. Even people used to driving fast may get surprised at how fast your model 3p can "get up and go".
5. look at the door handles in the car for the emergency release, and realize that almost everyone you give a ride to is going to want to pull THAT instead of pushing the little button that actually opens the door properly.
(note: the emergency release states it can damage the trim in the manual I believe. Unless its changed I dont think it lowers the window down when you use it, so be careful if you try it... and people WILL want to pul that handle)

Those likely get you started, and I am betting that you will really enjoy it.

EDIT: check to see if the floor mats are in the trunk or in the front trunk (frunk we call it).

One thing I thought was very strange today, was when I went tout to setup the app on my phone with the car... I turned on my climate control to the max while playing with the app.

I went back into the house... I came out an hour later and could see the car looked frosty, and was surprised to see that the air con was still on full speed.

I would have thought all of the car would have turned the door was closed or at the very least when the phone lost the connection with the car.