Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Tesla Roadside Experience - (spoiler - it wasn't great)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today (yesterday actually), I had my first experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance. I was on my way home from a trip (left at 6:45pm, expected to be home at 8:00pm). While driving on the NJ Turnpike (location is important), the TPMS light came on. I flipped to the tire pressure display and noticed that one of my tires had rapidly dropping pressure. I was able to make it to a rest/service area on the turnpike and called Tesla roadside to have someone come help with a flat tire.

The person informed me that Tesla Roadside was not allowed to tow/assist cars on the NJ Turnpike due to a contractual thing and suggested I contact highway patrol (which was fine). I did that and the NJ highway patrol sent a tow truck to take me off the turnpike so Tesla could tow me.

1639953606529.jpg

At 8:45pm, the driver arrived and took my car a few miles to a truck stop somewhere off the turnpike. At the truck stop, I was able to attempt to fill the tire to hear the air rushing out. There was a large nail wedged in the tire right at the point where the sidewall meets the tread. I tried the green slime stuff I keep in the car and no luck.

I contacted Tesla Roadside again. The person I spoke with first told me they would try to get me a loaner tire. She had me on hold for a while and came back and told me there were no loaner tires available. She would arrange for a tow back to my house (~40 miles away at this point). She put me on a long hold only to come back and tell me that all of their contracted tow companies refused the tow due to the location and distance. She suggested I contact AAA or pay out of pocket to a private company. So basically, Tesla Roadside was useless for me here.

1639953606501.jpg

---

Unrelated but to finish this disaster of a night, I called AAA at 10:00pm and they told me a driver would be out to get me in 60-90 minutes. I called them back at 11:45pm asking where the tow was. They told me the driver said 12:00am. I called back at 12:30am and they told me they would check with the dispatch. At 12:55am I received a call back telling me that they had no available drivers that could pick me up and I was stuck there for the night.

At 1:30am (now tired and frustrated) I figured I had nothing to lose so I went in the truck stop, bought a pair of pliers, removed the nail from the tire and attempted to use my tire patch kit for the first time to plug the hole. I was able to get the plug in and to hold enough air to drive the 40 miles home.

I arrived home at 2:20am.

---

TLDR; called Tesla roadside for help. Received no help. Found my inner mechanic.

...The person informed me that Tesla Roadside was not allowed to tow/assist cars on the NJ Turnpike due to a contractual thing and suggested I contact highway patrol (which was fine). I did that and the NJ highway patrol sent a tow truck to take me off the turnpike so Tesla could tow me...
Thanks for sharing the bad but informative experience.

So did you get a free tow from the contract with Highway Patrol?

This sounds not abnormal for cars that don't have spare tires. It can become very inconvenient. I just hope I don't run into issues like this. Seems like Tesla should have arranged the tow by calling State Police, and arranging AAA or whomever to meet the "authorized" tow at a dropoff time and place, and they should be checking on status, providing you with updates, and making sure you got the service needed in a reasonable period of time. Heck, I'll even pay to get this done. No one wants to be stranded for hours and hours on the side of the road with a flat tire. Maybe there is some enterprising person at AAA or Tesla or wherever that could implement something like this.

Reactions: AJ..
Good on you having a plug kit - honestly this would have been my very first action. Always better if you can help yourself. Now you’ve got the pliers… leave them in the car! ;)

I see this less a Tesla Roadside problem and more a general “towing and roadside assistance just plain sucks” problem, so you best be able to take care of yourself as much as possible. Everyone, be it Tesla, AAA, or anyone else, contracts with the same local providers and you’re completely at their mercy.

I’ve had a plug kit and compressor in the frunk of my car since day 4 and it’s saved my bacon at least a few times. If you can limp home, or to a hotel, or to a tire shop, that’s always the best solution.

This plug kit intrigues me. I have picked up two screws in my Tesla over the 50k miles but both were fairly slow leakers. One was within a week of getting new tires. I have the Tesla air compressor and slime stuff but no plugs or tools.

Anyone have a recommendation on what plug kit to use?

This plug kit intrigues me. I have picked up two screws in my Tesla over the 50k miles but both were fairly slow leakers. One was within a week of getting new tires. I have the Tesla air compressor and slime stuff but no plugs or tools.

Anyone have a recommendation on what plug kit to use?
I have this one. They’re all pretty similar, not a lot of magic to them. I will say, the included pliers are a little weak sauce for yanking out a nail from a cold tire on the side of the road. You might want something more substantial for that part.

BETOOLL 67Pc Tire Repair Kit for Car, Motorcycle, ATV, Jeep, Truck, Tractor Flat Tire Puncture Repair [ Full Refund for Any Dissatisfaction ] Amazon.com

This is the plug kit I have - pretty basic but definitely did the trick. Hardest part was threading the cold/hard plug through the plugger and also forcing it into the tire with the tire still on the car.

Picked it up a few years ago when I first got my Volt due to the lack of a spare and still have it. Definitely saved my bacon to quote @ucmndd

Wow. Similar situation about a year ago on the NJ Tpke. Found a screw in tire (it was 12 am. When I got to the rest area, the garage wouldn’t work on it at first. I convinced them I had the jack pads (I carry a set) and would take all responsibility. 25 min later tire was plugged and on the road. The plug laste a couple of months. I now carry the Tesla Inflator kit (with slime) and a plug kit in the car.

Fast forward 12000 miles later, same tire still on the car, though I had it professionally patched a couple of months ago

• Informative
Reactions: David29
So today (yesterday actually), I had my first experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance. I was on my way home from a trip (left at 6:45pm, expected to be home at 8:00pm). While driving on the NJ Turnpike (location is important), the TPMS light came on. I flipped to the tire pressure display and noticed that one of my tires had rapidly dropping pressure. I was able to make it to a rest/service area on the turnpike and called Tesla roadside to have someone come help with a flat tire.

The person informed me that Tesla Roadside was not allowed to tow/assist cars on the NJ Turnpike due to a contractual thing and suggested I contact highway patrol (which was fine). I did that and the NJ highway patrol sent a tow truck to take me off the turnpike so Tesla could tow me.

At 8:45pm, the driver arrived and took my car a few miles to a truck stop somewhere off the turnpike. At the truck stop, I was able to attempt to fill the tire to hear the air rushing out. There was a large nail wedged in the tire right at the point where the sidewall meets the tread. I tried the green slime stuff I keep in the car and no luck.

I contacted Tesla Roadside again. The person I spoke with first told me they would try to get me a loaner tire. She had me on hold for a while and came back and told me there were no loaner tires available. She would arrange for a tow back to my house (~40 miles away at this point). She put me on a long hold only to come back and tell me that all of their contracted tow companies refused the tow due to the location and distance. She suggested I contact AAA or pay out of pocket to a private company. So basically, Tesla Roadside was useless for me here.

---

Unrelated but to finish this disaster of a night, I called AAA at 10:00pm and they told me a driver would be out to get me in 60-90 minutes. I called them back at 11:45pm asking where the tow was. They told me the driver said 12:00am. I called back at 12:30am and they told me they would check with the dispatch. At 12:55am I received a call back telling me that they had no available drivers that could pick me up and I was stuck there for the night.

At 1:30am (now tired and frustrated) I figured I had nothing to lose so I went in the truck stop, bought a pair of pliers, removed the nail from the tire and attempted to use my tire patch kit for the first time to plug the hole. I was able to get the plug in and to hold enough air to drive the 40 miles home.

---

TLDR; called Tesla roadside for help. Received no help. Found my inner mechanic.
Thanks for your report. I’ve been stranded with flats before, even with a spare, since I couldn’t remove the lug nuts! I like having the plug kit and have ordered my very own, just in case. I also have heard a horror story about “run flats” when in rural areas. I hope your's isn’t a common Tesla tale, though Tesla has that rep, don’t they.

---

---

Well done! Glad I carry a tire patch and repair kit.

I can say that run flats have saved me on at least three locations- so I wouldn't necessarily knock them.

Having said that, I'd take the PITA of plugging my own tire once every year or two to putting up with the runflats' ride and noise (which would be a lot more of an issue with an EV than it was on my M2).

Reactions: FlatSix911
I carry a substantial plug kit (plugs, pliers, reamer, spare valves and stems), a lithium powered air pump, and have plugged four times successfully. On long trips I carry a spare in case as well as a jack and lug wrench. I have heard no good roadside service stories when you need them the most. Be prepared for the worst.

Thanks for sharing the bad but informative experience.

So did you get a free tow from the contract with Highway Patrol?
Recently the newspaper (Boston Globe) did a story about a story that there were similar restrictions on the Mass. Turnpike. According to the story, there is no restriction on the Turnpike for private tow companies, but that AAA usually declines to make tows and often says there is a restriction. End result is more or less the same -- you cannot relay on AAA contractors to service the Turnpike. The article did not address Tesla, but I would not be surprised if the Tesla contractors are similarly reluctant to service the Turnpike. Reasons might be the long distance between exits, necessitating some long trips to reach a car, or some other factor that makes tow companies reluctant.

• Informative
In NJ definitely looks like only authorized companies can service the turnpike and only within designated exists. For anyone interested, see below.

Supposedly this is to regulate rates that can be charged. In my case, the towing company that assisted me just happened to be a AAA provider as well so I was able to use my AAA benefits to cover the tow off the road.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I've kept a 12v compressor and plug kit in my car for many years. Along with several pliers. I probably got the kit at a NAPA or AutoZone, nothing special but decent handles. I've dealt with several nails, screws, and once even a bolt that somehow went head first into a rear tire. What a pain pulling that one out lying on the parking lot; I was so frustrated what I thought was a screw wouldn't budge - then the hex head popped out!

Anyway, I also much prefer to deal with my own problems if I can. Even with all that effort, I was probably on the road sooner than waiting for Roadside.

My plan would be to get a rental/Uber/taxi etc. to get home, then talk to Tesla when they can come with the tire another day. And yes, when you was on a tow truck, why couldn't you ask them to tow you to a tire shop/to Tesla service, or to your home?