Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Tesla Roadside Experience - (spoiler - it wasn't great)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today (yesterday actually), I had my first experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance. I was on my way home from a trip (left at 6:45pm, expected to be home at 8:00pm). While driving on the NJ Turnpike (location is important), the TPMS light came on. I flipped to the tire pressure display and noticed that one of my tires had rapidly dropping pressure. I was able to make it to a rest/service area on the turnpike and called Tesla roadside to have someone come help with a flat tire.

The person informed me that Tesla Roadside was not allowed to tow/assist cars on the NJ Turnpike due to a contractual thing and suggested I contact highway patrol (which was fine). I did that and the NJ highway patrol sent a tow truck to take me off the turnpike so Tesla could tow me.

1639953606529.jpg

At 8:45pm, the driver arrived and took my car a few miles to a truck stop somewhere off the turnpike. At the truck stop, I was able to attempt to fill the tire to hear the air rushing out. There was a large nail wedged in the tire right at the point where the sidewall meets the tread. I tried the green slime stuff I keep in the car and no luck.

I contacted Tesla Roadside again. The person I spoke with first told me they would try to get me a loaner tire. She had me on hold for a while and came back and told me there were no loaner tires available. She would arrange for a tow back to my house (~40 miles away at this point). She put me on a long hold only to come back and tell me that all of their contracted tow companies refused the tow due to the location and distance. She suggested I contact AAA or pay out of pocket to a private company. So basically, Tesla Roadside was useless for me here.

1639953606501.jpg

---

Unrelated but to finish this disaster of a night, I called AAA at 10:00pm and they told me a driver would be out to get me in 60-90 minutes. I called them back at 11:45pm asking where the tow was. They told me the driver said 12:00am. I called back at 12:30am and they told me they would check with the dispatch. At 12:55am I received a call back telling me that they had no available drivers that could pick me up and I was stuck there for the night.

At 1:30am (now tired and frustrated) I figured I had nothing to lose so I went in the truck stop, bought a pair of pliers, removed the nail from the tire and attempted to use my tire patch kit for the first time to plug the hole. I was able to get the plug in and to hold enough air to drive the 40 miles home.

I arrived home at 2:20am.

---

TLDR; called Tesla roadside for help. Received no help. Found my inner mechanic.

uhhhh.... Any idea why you diddnt have the tower take you right to a tire shop from the turnpike?

Their responsibility is only to get you off the turnpike so you can get additional/local assistance - they will not tow you to a place you specify. They tow you to a public/open area. In my case, they took me to a truck stop. Also it was late at night by that point so any tire repair shop would be closed.

My plan would be to get a rental/Uber/taxi etc. to get home, then talk to Tesla when they can come with the tire another day. And yes, when you was on a tow truck, why couldn't you ask them to tow you to a tire shop/to Tesla service, or to your home?

Not quite so sure I would want to leave my $90k car parked in a parking lot at a highway rest stop for any extended period of time. Re: asking the tow truck, see above - especially because home for me was in the next state and there was no way that driver was going to leave NJ.

--

Also important to mention that every (I think) highway rest stop on the NJ Turnpike has a 24 hour garage that can do tire repairs so my plan of making it to the rest stop was a good one. It just happened that the rest stop I made it to, the garage was closed because someone was murdered there and there was police activity and the whole thing was blocked off and would not be open until the following day.

It was like a perfect storm of events but doesn't change the overall experience.

Last edited:
So today (yesterday actually), I had my first experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance.

I arrived home at 2:20am

Sorry to hear of your adventure. I carry a plug kit, pliers, etc. in my car at all times, and have only used it once, but they are cheap enough insurance. I recommend everyone buy a tire repair kit, as they only cost $10 - $20 at most any hardware store, Target, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't have waited. Never have I used Roadside assistance, AAA, or other tow services, especially for a flat tire, and I was glad you were able to pull the nail and plug the tire. The only time I had a disastrous blowout (hole as big as my fist in the sidewall after hitting a curb) I was within sight of a tire dealer, so I was lucky.

Good to know, though, that Tesla Roadside is pretty much worthless.

That said, I had a Service Ranger come to my house last week and replace a blemished door handle. Perfect work, done in a half an hour, no charge.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Good to know, though, that Tesla Roadside is pretty much worthless.
It seems that it depends on their part and hands availability. I saw both positive and nightmarish stories about them. I see some general 24/7 mobile tire repair services in my area, I just wonder if that would be an option in NJ and else wire. Like: 1) Call Tesla 2) If Tesla fails, call 24/7 mobil tire repair.

odd they told you to call AAA. the 2 times I've been towed it was a AAA tow truck that picked me up that was called by tesla roadside. The first time i was still under warranty so it was free, the second my warranty had long expired and I had to pay the driver $100 for a literal 0.75 mile tow (if it wasn't uphill I'd have pushed the damn car).

So today (yesterday actually), I had my first experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance. I was on my way home from a trip (left at 6:45pm, expected to be home at 8:00pm). While driving on the NJ Turnpike (location is important), the TPMS light came on. I flipped to the tire pressure display and noticed that one of my tires had rapidly dropping pressure. I was able to make it to a rest/service area on the turnpike and called Tesla roadside to have someone come help with a flat tire.

The person informed me that Tesla Roadside was not allowed to tow/assist cars on the NJ Turnpike due to a contractual thing and suggested I contact highway patrol (which was fine). I did that and the NJ highway patrol sent a tow truck to take me off the turnpike so Tesla could tow me.

View attachment 746191

At 8:45pm, the driver arrived and took my car a few miles to a truck stop somewhere off the turnpike. At the truck stop, I was able to attempt to fill the tire to hear the air rushing out. There was a large nail wedged in the tire right at the point where the sidewall meets the tread. I tried the green slime stuff I keep in the car and no luck.

I contacted Tesla Roadside again. The person I spoke with first told me they would try to get me a loaner tire. She had me on hold for a while and came back and told me there were no loaner tires available. She would arrange for a tow back to my house (~40 miles away at this point). She put me on a long hold only to come back and tell me that all of their contracted tow companies refused the tow due to the location and distance. She suggested I contact AAA or pay out of pocket to a private company. So basically, Tesla Roadside was useless for me here.

View attachment 746192

---

Unrelated but to finish this disaster of a night, I called AAA at 10:00pm and they told me a driver would be out to get me in 60-90 minutes. I called them back at 11:45pm asking where the tow was. They told me the driver said 12:00am. I called back at 12:30am and they told me they would check with the dispatch. At 12:55am I received a call back telling me that they had no available drivers that could pick me up and I was stuck there for the night.

At 1:30am (now tired and frustrated) I figured I had nothing to lose so I went in the truck stop, bought a pair of pliers, removed the nail from the tire and attempted to use my tire patch kit for the first time to plug the hole. I was able to get the plug in and to hold enough air to drive the 40 miles home.

---

TLDR; called Tesla roadside for help. Received no help. Found my inner mechanic.
Sorry to hear that, after driving a few decades, I've learned along the way. AAA and one of the top ten rated Insurance companies that provide emergency towing to anywhere within a 250-mile distance with a low $50. deductible written on paper and signed is the way to go. this is with or without a spare since not always is it only one tire affected. It cost a bit more, but I drive long distance to family and friends a lot, so it pays off.

I really try to follow the old boy scout rule of "be prepared." That means I try to live life and not have to rely on others as much as possible. it also means I spent the $500 on the Tesla spare tire kit from Modern tire. It hasn't arrived yet but neither has my tesla. I normally also carry a tire plug kit and a good quality compressor. I won't be the fool stuck for hours on the side of the road somewhere, unless of course I lose two tires or there is significant damage.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Keep your expectations super low. Service of all kinds sucks right now. Tow trucks, restaurants, lawn care, or any other traditionally low skilled work. The next recession will clean that right up, but for now, we should just accept this 1st world problem, and be prepared to do some things yourself.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Good on you having a plug kit - honestly this would have been my very first action. Always better if you can help yourself. Now you’ve got the pliers… leave them in the car! ;)

I see this less a Tesla Roadside problem and more a general “towing and roadside assistance just plain sucks” problem, so you best be able to take care of yourself as much as possible. Everyone, be it Tesla, AAA, or anyone else, contracts with the same local providers and you’re completely at their mercy.

I’ve had a plug kit and compressor in the frunk of my car since day 4 and it’s saved my bacon at least a few times. If you can limp home, or to a hotel, or to a tire shop, that’s always the best solution.
Really? You don't see this as a Tesla Roadside problem? Where was the "Assistance" part of this ordeal? How exactly did they assist? Did they call the Highway Patrol or tow truck to help out the client? No loaner tires available? This is inexcusable to me.

I admit that towing and roadside assistance isn't all that great. But I have dealt with both AAA and Honda Roadside Assistance and both asked if I was safe and at least dispatched the tow truck for me.

Tesla has serious growing pains and it's time they address it. Whether it's roadside assistance, service appointment wait times, or just trying to find someone to escalate issues to, their customer service is non-existent.

View attachment 746191

View attachment 746192

---

---

Danny, so sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. I purchased and carry a spare from ModernSpare.com. It actually came in handy as I also had a flat tire, but was able to get home. I did still have to change the tire and get to the tire shop to have my tire repaired. Just a suggestion for the future if this is your normal route.

DYI saved me 3 times from getting stranded in the boonies. Must have in the frunk: Scissor jack (from old Honda), Breaker bar, Socket, tire patch kit, compressor, plier, light, hockey puck....new product I have ordered here:
"Self help is the best help"
Interesting product design... thanks for sharing. ;)

1643266362447.png

Reactions: dannycamps
Good on you having a plug kit - honestly this would have been my very first action. Always better if you can help yourself. Now you’ve got the pliers… leave them in the car! ;)

I see this less a Tesla Roadside problem and more a general “towing and roadside assistance just plain sucks” problem, so you best be able to take care of yourself as much as possible. Everyone, be it Tesla, AAA, or anyone else, contracts with the same local providers and you’re completely at their mercy.

I’ve had a plug kit and compressor in the frunk of my car since day 4 and it’s saved my bacon at least a few times. If you can limp home, or to a hotel, or to a tire shop, that’s always the best solution.
Great post. I always carry a compressor and now I am getting a plug kit too.

Reactions: SO16