TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

My first test drive

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by mbhforum, Dec 30, 2016.

1. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Today I finally took a Tesla Model 75D for a spin. I am currently in the market for either a new 60D or CPO 70-85D. I brought my wife with me to get her feedback as well. I personally fell in love with the car. The drive was smooth and quiet and that car can really fly. I can't even imagine a P100D.

That being said, my wife was unimpressed with the interior (she didn't drive it). She sat in the back and felt the interior for a car that expensive didn't "wow" her besides the touch screen. She also got nauseous sitting in the back and she wasn't sure if it was me accelating really fast or the pano sunroof or both. I explained Tesla's interior has had some owners complaining that it isn't on par with other car's in it's price range. I also explained Tesla's selling points are technology, design and for the EV market, there is NOTHING in it's class. You can't really compare it to other ICE cars. She suggested before I spend all of this money to look at other mid-size sedans. Even though my mind is made up, to ease her mind, I popped into a Lexus dealer (ES and GS) and BMW (5 series) to compare. While both of these car manufactuers definitely give off a more classy, luxurious interior, it all falls short to me. I am coming from a 2010 BMW 328xi and the 5 series was definitely a step up from that. The Lexus cars didnt impress me at all, even though I have always found their leather to be the most comfortable and luxurious of the luxury brands. I was completely closed-minded when going to these showrooms and didn't even want to bother with salespeople. I walked out with no change of opinion, but at least now I can tell my wife, I did my due diligence :)

Anyway, I am curious to see if other's experienced the same reaction when sitting in a Tesla for the first time? I also think as a passenger and a driver are two completely different perspectives. In addition, I think my wife isn't crazy about how much I am about to spend, so there is definitely some alterior motives there.

2. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

My wife hates my car. She finds the egress difficult, the interior cheap-ish and too teutonic for her tastes. She loves her Jag XF (which does have a nice interior) and even the Cayenne (though she also hates SUVs).

Someone that rode in my car last week said he thought the interior was very modern and liked it a lot! Funny how different people have different opinions about the car. All said the ride was very smooth and quiet and we can thank the electric drive for that.

Tesla vehicles reset the notions of what is perceived value in a car. Sure, the German high end cars have more solid doors, nicer finished details in the interiors - just more solid all around. But the fact that they burn gas and react so sluggishly on acceleration compared to the Teslas make them look like an older generation mode of transportation.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

My wife was skeptical, so I let her drive it first.

By the time we got back to the dealer, the only question she had was what color.

Yes, if you judge the car by it's interior, it falls short. If you are dealing with a skeptical partner who doesn't like to drive, perhaps a demo of the autopilot could help.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Thanks. Unfortunately, the 75D I test drove had AP 2.0, therefore, it was not an option :( I encouraged my wife to test drive it, and she didn't want to. We are going to pick up an Infiniti QX60 today that I am surprising her with, so now she's in a good mood. Probably a good day to place my order LOL

• Like x 2
  5. Skione65

Skione65 Member

You're statement doesn't make sense.....you say "She finds the interior cheap-ish and too Teutonic for her tastes, however she loves the Cayenne"??? You do realize that Teutonic means German?

Teutonic/ Websters Dictionary; of, relating to, or characteristic of the Teutons or Germans; German. 3. noting or pertaining to the northern European stock that includes the German, Dutch, Scandinavian, British, and related peoples. 4. (of languages) Germanic.

Ski

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

My wife loves our S90D, it's all about personal taste and preference. That said, the back seat is not very comfortable with no lateral support and the seat very close to the floor which is particularly uncomfortable for taller people.

The car does not measure up to other luxury cars with regard to interior trim, interior/exterior fit and finish, build quality, and infotainment features. You should thoroughly read some of the threads in the User Interface section of TMC so you know what you are getting. Mechanically the car is great and I love driving it, but it simply doesn't measure up to MB, Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc. in all other areas. You should also forget any promises the sales people and/or Elon Musk are making about the future as they are notorious for back pedaling and not delivering promised features, and those that are delivered are usually much later and with less functionality. Again, read the threads to hear this from other people. Don't be seduced by that big display, it hosts some really horribly implemented applications beyond the glitz and flash of a big screen and there is very little engineering effort expended on evolving them to achieve parity with other luxury cars.

But you'll love the EV driving experience and that is what you're buying because it's the only luxury long distance EV on the market today and probably for at least the next two years.

I recommend leasing. The cars are evolving so fast and contrary to the Tesla hype, OTA updates don't keep up with changes in the h/w or even bug fixed to basic applications like Navigation and the Media Player. My MS is only eight months old and already doesn't have a refreshed nose, no AP 2.0, etc. etc I'm looking forward to the lease terminating in two years and getting a new car!

The car can be very seductive and it's easy to make a lot of assumptions about it that turn out not to be correct. You'll love driving it, just tune out the sales people and Elon's hype so you know what you're actually buying. Want the car you're driving today, not the car they're promising you'll be driving at some indeterminate point in the future. I would definitely wait for the AP 2.0 s/w to be delivered before purchasing. Besides, they're always in a sales crunch at the end of the quarter and they'll make you a better deal at the end of Q1 that at the beginning of Q1.

• Like x 3
  7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem. You'll get the car all to yourself. Win-win-win-win situation, no?

• Like x 1
  8. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

The big mistake you made was not insisting that your wife drive and or at least sit up front.

Your experience sounds a lot like mine and my wife's. We test drove an S first and she sat in the back, wasn't all that impressed. Then we drove an X, she sat in the back again but after a few blocks I insisted she try it as well. She absolutely loved it, then when we got back to the showroom she sat in the drivers seat of an S and was seriously considering buying one herself as well. I was actually the one who had to talk her out of it and back toward the E300 she was originally considering (doesn't make sense in my opinion to not have at least one ICE car at this point, especially for her, she would be terrible at keeping the Tesla charged...I have to plug her cell phone in most of the time or else it's dead :p )

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

It's an expensive car, not a luxury car.

• Like x 2
  10. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Well, that is one way of describing it! I think to add to that, it's expensive because of the technology and design engineering and the fact the car gets better with updates. No other car gets more functionality after it drives off the lot ;)

11. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

The updates stopped being useful ( IMO ) with 7.0.

12. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Yeah, I've read that some folks haven't been happy with over promises/under-delivering, but at least the potential is there and hopefully things will improve. Elon is overly optimistic, and while that is a bad thing for customers at times, I believe his mind and heart are in the right place.

13. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

Hi Ski - Sorry - have been offlne recently. Yes, I am aware that Teutonic is Germanic. I stated the MS was TOO Teutonic for her tastes. However, she likes the Cayenne (as far as German interiors go). The latest Cayenne and Panamera are actually quite nice inside (and I agree with her sentiment). However, the British interiors as done in the Jag are exceptional in her mind.

I found it strange that several people commented on how futuristic the MS interior was so I guess different tastes etc.

I just find that the touch points in the interior (like the door panels, the rear trunk facia by the close button are flimsy compared to other cars in this price range. I also find the sunroof creaks occasionally. I think other professional reviewers have made this comment as well and I was well aware of their opinions before I bought the car and yet I still bought it and I still love it! So I look at this as a potential area of improvement - imagine the trajectory of the technological advancements which are pretty astounding and if they improve the quality of the fitment of the interior with better materials which I know can be done, the cars will be truly AMAZING.

14. PinkGasT

PinkGasT Member

I guess I am the opposite -- it was my wife's idea and really pushed to get the MS. It will be her daily driver.
    Having had a lot of Germans (BMW, Audi, Porsche) in the past 7 yrs, I do agree with some about the interior of the MS not being luxurious especially for the price.